What's new

Cigar Molds Thread

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I like wood molds. I usually leave the gars in overnight and the wood does absorb some of the binder moisture which is a win for me.

In a commercial setting the plastic molds are probably better. I'm guessing they are more durable and can be milled fairly fast. I'm betting they are more economical for the commercial boys even if the initial cost is higher, because they might last longer. The commercial folks also don't leave the gars in the mold as long as I do so absorption isn't an issue for them.
Besides, wood molds are really cool!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I like wood molds. I usually leave the gars in overnight and the wood does absorb some of the binder moisture which is a win for me.

In a commercial setting the plastic molds are probably better. I'm guessing they are more durable and can be milled fairly fast. I'm betting they are more economical for the commercial boys even if the initial cost is higher, because they might last longer. The commercial folks also don't leave the gars in the mold as long as I do so absorption isn't an issue for them.
Besides, wood molds are really cool!
I think it's plastic injection

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
It wasn't a failure of technology, it was an accident caused by poor management decisions.

The engineers warned management about the O-rings but their concerns were ignored.
So it was a bad management decision to launch while icicles were hanging off a rocket while the engineers argued about o-ring performance below 70 degrees versus below 50 degrees? No matter which engineer won the arguement, it wasn't going to work out when it was below freezing overnight. I don't care if you pin it on Thiokol Engineers or Thiokol Management, it was a failed Thiokol rocket. I would say structural integrity was a critical parameter in measuring the success of this device, and it failed.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So it was a bad management decision to launch while icicles were hanging off a rocket while the engineers argued about o-ring performance below 70 degrees versus below 50 degrees? No matter which engineer won the arguement, it wasn't going to work out when it was below freezing overnight. I don't care if you pin it on Thiokol Engineers or Thiokol Management, it was a failed Thiokol rocket. I would say structural integrity was a critical parameter in measuring the success of this device, and it failed.
It was launched OUTSIDE of design parameters. That's human error, not a failure of technology.
It's that simple no matter who's management made the call.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sorry, it was a bad joke. Thiokol made the Space Shuttle Challenger rockets.
Close but no cigar. Thiokol made the Oring that failed. Acccording to them they warned NASA that the spec wasn't up to snuff but were ignored.

Nice pic tho.

Any pic from current flooding in Houston would work today.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You'll note, Keith, how Maks cuts his slots with the grain of the wood, rather than across it. As an old wood butcher myself, that's how I'd do it. Easier to cut smooth, and would hold up better.

I dunno what wood he uses. It might be poplar, if that grows in Slovenia. For aught I know, it might be something grows on his farm.

I salted away a box of 25 Churchills made with his mold this last March. That's what got me to thinking about his project versus yours. That stash of Uppowoc Maks will be coming ripe in two weeks. Can't wait to dip into them. Dom seco, viso, & olor, with a CT habano binder and mata fina wrapper. That two-slot approach was snap handy last Winter when I had very little time to spare. Could knock out two in an evening and still tackle the paying work I had to do. You two need to talk. His work is so careful that when you screw down those toggles tight they settle in right dead athwart the hawse. That's attention to detail.
Maks reports maple.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Read the analysis by the state's water manager. Two and a half million people settled in a drained marsh = land there sinks three inches PER YEAR . It's not that there's nowhere for the water to go. It's that there's people living where the water's gotta go.
Sometimes, the technology that failed is pretty simple stuff. Ditches.

Course, they're gonna blame it on the sea rising eight hundredths of an inch a year.

I lived in a flooded town once. Luckily, I lived aboard my schooner at the time. I just holed up and read books. Similar cause. Drained the swamp and built San Jose there. Decades later, land had subsided 20 feet below the dyke. Duh.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Read the analysis by the state's water manager. Two and a half million people settled in a drained marsh = land there sinks three inches PER YEAR . It's not that there's nowhere for the water to go. It's that there's people living where the water's gotta go.
Sometimes, the technology that failed is pretty simple stuff. Ditches.

Course, they're gonna blame it on the sea rising eight hundredths of an inch a year.

I lived in a flooded town once. Luckily, I lived aboard my schooner at the time. I just holed up and read books. Similar cause. Drained the swamp and built San Jose there. Decades later, land had subsided 20 feet below the dyke. Duh.
I get what you are saying but lots of places in TX are flooding due to the large amounts of rain. Not many places in the country can handle that amount of rain in that short amount of time.