What's new

Cigar Molds Thread

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
There was a Nestor Miranda I smoked a box of before I started rolling, looked just that rectangular cross section and dark wrapper. I think it was called Grand Reserve. Tasty stick. Can't get 'em any more.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has some connections to the DR from when he lived in NY. I think he referred to it as coming from a "private farm" when I asked. He made it sound like a personal relationship with the family member of somebody he knows. I don't think it is something that just anybody can get their hands on.
When I was a kid there was an adult in our neighborhood that sold illegal fireworks. Claimed they were from organized crime, and we'd better not ask too many questions or the boys would be along to fit us for cement shoes. One day some of us were going to get our daily supply of pop sticks and he said "beat it, kid. The guy from the warehouse is on his way and you don't want to be here when he arrives" We elected instead to hide in the woods across the street. After a half hour, the guy walked out his back door into the woods and lifted a concealed panel over a hole in the ground. The "warehouse" was a pit in his back yard.

Lesson learned: not everybody is as forthcoming with regard to trade secrets, particularly when it has the potential to cut into their business. Has anyone ever heard of a commercial manufacturer sharing their blend recipe?

Given that tobacco leaves are a natural product that can and does vary from crop to crop, I suspect the blend changes slightly to ensure overall consistency even in the face of leaf variance. I suspect that's a large portion of the work of the blenders.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was a kid there was an adult in our neighborhood that sold illegal fireworks. Claimed they were from organized crime, and we'd better not ask too many questions or the boys would be along to fit us for cement shoes. One day some of us were going to get our daily supply of pop sticks and he said "beat it, kid. The guy from the warehouse is on his way and you don't want to be here when he arrives" We elected instead to hide in the woods across the street. After a half hour, the guy walked out his back door into the woods and lifted a concealed panel over a hole in the ground. The "warehouse" was a pit in his back yard.

Lesson learned: not everybody is as forthcoming with regard to trade secrets, particularly when it has the potential to cut into their business. Has anyone ever heard of a commercial manufacturer sharing their blend recipe?

Given that tobacco leaves are a natural product that can and does vary from crop to crop, I suspect the blend changes slightly to ensure overall consistency even in the face of leaf variance. I suspect that's a large portion of the work of the blenders.
That's a great story! I was the local fireworks dealer when I was a kid.

Tobacco leaves do vary from crop to crop. This is a problem for blenders. I would imagine, like wine, grapes vary from year to year.

Trade secret recipes and methods are very well guarded indeed. Of all the old periodicals I've read dating back into the 1800's there is a process known as 'Petuning'. This is where they spray the tobacco with a formula that contains (???). Some mixes contain citric acid (to remove harshness) and other flavorings such as rum, almond extract, hazelnut, vanilla, honey, clove, guava, licorice, tobacco extract.. etc...

Some books suggest the use of a humectant such as glycerin to hold the flavors.

The tobacco is usually sprayed prior to fermentation for the best absorption of flavors. However, some recipes can be applied after fermentation is complete and still yield positive effects.

The art of 'petuning' is where the real secrets of great tobacco lie.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's a great story! I was the local fireworks dealer when I was a kid.

Tobacco leaves do vary from crop to crop. This is a problem for blenders. I would imagine, like wine, grapes vary from year to year.

Trade secret recipes and methods are very well guarded indeed. Of all the old periodicals I've read dating back into the 1800's there is a process known as 'Petuning'. This is where they spray the tobacco with a formula that contains (???). Some mixes contain citric acid (to remove harshness) and other flavorings such as rum, almond extract, hazelnut, vanilla, honey, clove, guava, licorice, tobacco extract.. etc...

Some books suggest the use of a humectant such as glycerin to hold the flavors.

The tobacco is usually sprayed prior to fermentation for the best absorption of flavors. However, some recipes can be applied after fermentation is complete and still yield positive effects.

The art of 'petuning' is where the real secrets of great tobacco lie.
As well the big players own the farm to grow their own leaf and they own fermentation processes to help them get the best leaf and consistency year over year as can be had with an agricultural crop. I'm pretty sure the leaf we hobbyist get are either from small farms who are selling through brokers, or it's "seconds" and is for sure not the same tobacco that the big players roll with.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As well the big players own the farm to grow their own leaf and they own fermentation processes to help them get the best leaf and consistency year over year as can be had with an agricultural crop. I'm pretty sure the leaf we hobbyist get are either from small farms who are selling through brokers, or it's "seconds" and is for sure not the same tobacco that the big players roll with.
I'm not positive who LO and WLT get their leaf from but a fair guess would be Lancaster Tobacco co.

http://lancasterleaf.com/Products.htm#

It would make sense since their shipping costs would be reduced since both Co.s are relatively close to Lancaster and they can order as little as one bale of tobacco. It makes sense to buy from them.

Lancaster DOES supply many of the big name manufacturers tobacco. I would imagine the big boys send in tobacco blenders/buyers and get first dibbs on the premium tobacco in bulk amounts. Since Lancaster also does tobacco processing and on site fermentation I would imagine they put together large quantities of 'special' treatments for certain tobacco.

Is this what we get? It's very possible that the leaf is the same but has not been processed(aged and fermented ,yes). Again, Lancaster does fermentation and top casing to manufacturers specifications so the tobacco goes to a different level.

Having said that... I don't think the tobacco we get is bad or "seconds". (some shipments from some suppliers have been very shoddy and looked like seconds) However, let's give credit where credit is due...the quality of leaf from LO has been fantastic. Every order is extremely nice leaf. Beautiful/perfect wrapper and quite nice filler and binder leaf and with a large selection from which to choose!! In fact, I'm pretty happy with my cigars and prefer them to many store bought cigars.

There is NOTHING stopping anyone from processing their own tobacco once they receive it. It appears most peoples main concern is rolling a beautiful factory looking cigar. Good looks don't make a good tasting cigar. The tobacco does. Remember, a poorly rolled cigar using good tobacco will still be a good smoke BUT a beautifully rolled cigar with poor tobacco will always be a bad cigar no matter the blend, construction or age.

So we should be focused on processing methods after we receive our tobacco. Don't just pull it out of the bag, roll it up real nice and expect a Padron. There's more to it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not positive who LO and WLT get their leaf from but a fair guess would be Lancaster Tobacco co.

It would make sense since their shipping costs would be reduced since both Co.s are relatively close to Lancaster and they can order as little as one bale of tobacco. It makes sense to buy from them.

Lancaster DOES supply many of the big name manufacturers tobacco. I would imagine the big boys send in tobacco blenders/buyers and get first dibbs on the premium tobacco in bulk amounts. Since Lancaster also does tobacco processing and on site fermentation I would imagine they put together large quantities of 'special' treatments for certain tobacco.

Is this what we get? It's very possible that the leaf is the same but has not been processed(aged and fermented ,yes). Again, Lancaster does fermentation and top casing to manufacturers specifications so the tobacco goes to a different level.

Having said that... I don't think the tobacco we get is bad or "seconds". (some shipments from some suppliers have been very shoddy and looked like seconds) However, let's give credit where credit is due...the quality of leaf from LO has been fantastic. Every order is extremely nice leaf. Beautiful/perfect wrapper and quite nice filler and binder leaf and with a large selection from which to choose!! In fact, I'm pretty happy with my cigars and prefer them to many store bought cigars.

There is NOTHING stopping anyone from processing their own tobacco once they receive it. It appears most peoples main concern is rolling a beautiful factory looking cigar. Good looks don't make a good tasting cigar. The tobacco does. Remember, a poorly rolled cigar using good tobacco will still be a good smoke BUT a beautifully rolled cigar with poor tobacco will always be a bad cigar no matter the blend, construction or age.

So we should be focused on processing methods after we receive our tobacco. Don't just pull it out of the bag, roll it up real nice and expect a Padron. There's more to it.
.. nice hijack Don.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I'd be curious as to what a home roller could accomplish for processing. Everything I've read was kinda janky and/or required more than a few pounds, and I'd hate to kill that much in an experiment. I don't know that what we have is under processed. It seems to taste fine to me if you blend it properly. But if you do know of a way to make a padron, I'm game. ;)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be curious as to what a home roller could accomplish for processing. Everything I've read was kinda janky and/or required more than a few pounds, and I'd hate to kill that much in an experiment. I don't know that what we have is under processed. It seems to taste fine to me if you blend it properly. But if you do know of a way to make a padron, I'm game. ;)
Simple wash in water is further processing. Is there insecticide on the leaf? They do use insecticide. I don't really know what's on the leaf.

Some Flojo I received was so dirty that sand was literally falling out on the table as well as dead insects. Decided to give it a quick 5 second dunk in a tub just to wash that crap off and was surprised how much dirt came off. The water quickly turned the color of tea. I don't think that crap adds anything good to a cigar.

BTW... your molds are really nice. Sorry for the hijack. My bad.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Simple wash in water is further processing. Is there insecticide on the leaf? They do use insecticide. I don't really know what's on the leaf.

Some Flojo I received was so dirty that sand was literally falling out on the table as well as dead insects. Decided to give it a quick 5 second dunk in a tub just to wash that crap off and was surprised how much dirt came off. The water quickly turned the color of tea. I don't think that crap adds anything good to a cigar.

BTW... your molds are really nice. Sorry for the hijack. My bad.
Nah, no worries, it's a subject I'm curious about. And thank you. It's a hobby.

Did washing change the flavor?

The flojo is really rough. In my experience wlt tends to have less visually pleasing leaves compared to lo.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, no worries, it's a subject I'm curious about. And thank you. It's a hobby.

Did washing change the flavor?

The flojo is really rough. In my experience wlt tends to have less visually pleasing leaves compared to lo.
The washing gives me piece of mind. I do believe there is an acidic (bite) element that's removed. Is it insecticide? I don't know.
Again, it's a large tub of water and dunk 20 or 30 leaves at a time and quickly swish it around and remove it from the water. No soaking. A shower head would also work well. Then shake it out as seen on many videos. I have a large net set in the back yard to lat them out flat to dry after the bath. A pound takes a couple of hours start to finish.

Watch the Cuban worker washing the leaves and then shaking them out (no dirt in those leaves).... starts @ 19 minutes

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The washing gives me piece of mind. I do believe there is an acidic (bite) element that's removed. Is it insecticide? I don't know.
Again, it's a large tub of water and dunk 20 or 30 leaves at a time and quickly swish it around and remove it from the water. No soaking. A shower head would also work well. Then shake it out as seen on many videos. I have a large net set in the back yard to lat them out flat to dry after the bath. A pound takes a couple of hours start to finish.

Watch the Cuban worker washing the leaves and then shaking them out (no dirt in those leaves).... starts @ 19 minutes

That's neat. Boy he isn't gentle with those leaves.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's neat. Boy he isn't gentle with those leaves.
Believe me, you can sling them just like that and it helps shake everything off and doesn't hurt the leaf at all. Watch the water spraying off the tips.

IF you soak the leaves for more than a few minutes the leaf will absorb the water, get soft and mushy and become much more delicate. Working quickly is the key to keeping just the surface of the leaf rinsed off. Wash a 'hand' of tobacco at a time just as he demonstrates. Fast and easy.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've washed a pound of leaf I got from WLT not long ago. I wasn't any too gentle about either. I dunked and swished them around.. they were the better for it. I let then dry to a crisp then cased them back. They turned out to be OK binder leaf.