What's new

Cigar Mouthpieces?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Used my new mouthpiece for the first time today. I placed the cigar in the mouthpiece when it got close to the nub. The wrapper had started to unravel a bit and the cigar started getting soft. Really helped prevent the cigar from unwrapping any further and the smoke from the nub was considerably cooler.

Just a hint, don't try and purge a cigar when in the mouthpiece. Had to get my lazy behind out of my chair and step over the dog to go find my cigar.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well, just to follow up on this purchase....I found these mouthpieces very helpful when a cigar starts to unravel or when the smoke starts getting a bit hot. Don't use them a lot but they are used and a great way to nub a cigar I'm enjoying.

Today as I was removing a nub I broke one. Trying to decide if I should super glue it, buy a new, better set or just find a single in the ring gauge I broke?
You think super glue is an option?

20180717_144119.jpg

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Well, just to follow up on this purchase....I found these mouthpieces very helpful when a cigar starts to unravel or when the smoke starts getting a bit hot. Don't use them a lot but they are used and a great way to nub a cigar I'm enjoying.

Today as I was removing a nub I broke one. Trying to decide if I should super glue it, buy a new, better set or just find a single in the ring gauge I broke?

View attachment 117433
I'd wonder what would happen to the super glue when it heated up? Toxic fumes, maybe? Maybe someone who knows more about its chemistry will chime in, but I wouldn't do it personally.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have not seen one of these in years. When I was a kid my family doctor used to smoke cigars using a mouthpiece. He would smoke while in his office seeing patients. He also wore one of those headbands with the circular mirror on it. A doctor could never get away with that now; this was the late 70's early 80's and he was probably in his late 60's by then. He was my family's doctor for several generations.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0

View attachment 117433
I wouldn't glue it for the reason Tom mentioned. Also the resin or whatever it is is probably fatigued from the heat cycles and is just done. Best thing to do is to find another, maybe of a better material. In the meantime, send me that one and I'll see if I can make you a glass copy of it. Just a prototype to see if it works out and is worth using...

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yea, that's probably the case. I emailed LockTite yesterday and haven't heard back from them. If they confirm the fuming concerns I'll get your addy and send it over!

Glass mouthpieces? That's pretty interesting. Users have mentioned the weight of the mouthpiece being important but I seldom leave a cigar in my mouth so it's not really something that would affect me.

Thanks for the advice

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Yea, that's probably the case. I emailed LockTite yesterday and haven't heard back from them. If they confirm the fuming concerns I'll get your addy and send it over!

Glass mouthpieces? That's pretty interesting. Users have mentioned the weight of the mouthpiece being important but I seldom leave a cigar in my mouth so it's not really something that would affect me.

Thanks for the advice
My biggest concern with the glass is heat build up.

Would be nice to have an example to look at before making my next one.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That may be why meerschaum clay is so popular, it probably doesn't transmit heat very well.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
That may be why meerschaum clay is so popular, it probably doesn't transmit heat very well.
Well, glass is a fantastic insulator, and a conversely poor conductor. But the heat will build up in the area exposed to it, just doesn't travel down the piece. When I'm working it, one end of a 12 inch rod will be 2000 degrees, and the other <100.
Still curious how it will perform in that application. It would certainly be the cleanest, least off gassing material I could think of.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not only that it would look really neat. I'm curious if you should use an opaque glass to hide the gunk build up or keep it clear to aid in cleaning?

I do think that you lose some flavors when the liquids condense on the walls of the mouthpiece. Loss of flavor vs cooler smoke. Could be a good thing when nubbing a cigar if some of the bitterness gets left behind.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Not only that it would look really neat. I'm curious if you should use an opaque glass to hide the gunk build up or keep it clear to aid in cleaning?

I do think that you lose some flavors when the liquids condense on the walls of the mouthpiece. Loss of flavor vs cooler smoke. Could be a good thing when nubbing a cigar if some of the bitterness gets left behind.
I think clear would be too ugly too soon. simplest coloration would be a semi translucent silver and gold fume. but the options would be limitless for possible colorations.

Doubt there's enough surface area to help too much with that, It would need a fairly regular run through with a pipe cleaner I'd guess.
If it's down to the flavors being bad, I'm tossing it anyway. I'm not smoking reburnt tar for frugality, only if the nub is so good I'm not ready to be done with it.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
called a cigar holder , they are available in Meerschaum as well.
In the old days,most cigars had a point that fit well into the holder, so modern cigars have a fitment issue.(except for perfectos )
also back then there were few 50 ring ga. cigars, the majority were 35 to 46 ring ga.
Your tobacconist could offer a selection of styles and varieties of material ,and pipe makers could provide a custom holder to fit your favorite cigar style.
Bakelite was a popular material, brier and Meerschaum were available.
I only recall seeing two people using a holder in the last 25 years or so.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
It does transfer heat, and dissipates it too.
A Meerschaum pipe will get too hot to hold it you are a fast smoker.
However, you do not want to hold the bowl of a Meescshaum pipe, the oil on your fingers will discolor the pipe.
A couple of my pipe smoking friends used a smoking glove.
I had a lot of them years back, some of them were inconvenient to smoke.