Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Glad to see you are back on track.

I have enjoyed following this!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.

After having a few more sticks in the room, 190cfm fan is not enough.

I also think the exit diffuser I got to use as the intake (purely because it looked cool) is hurting the airflow.

So today I ripped out the diffuser and all the 4” stuff and ordered a 6” 390 cfm fan.

I’m looking for a nice looking 6” intake to mount to the joists and will run 6” all the way outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok.

After having a few more sticks in the room, 190cfm fan is not enough.

I also think the exit diffuser I got to use as the intake (purely because it looked cool) is hurting the airflow.

So today I ripped out the diffuser and all the 4” stuff and ordered a 6” 390 cfm fan.

I’m looking for a nice looking 6” intake to mount to the joists and will run 6” all the way outside.

That 190 never stood a chance.

I'm running a 370cfm w/ dual intakes and its barely enough for me smoking solo. I have it on a timer based on @WNYTONY setup and it'll continue to clear the room after I leave. The Rabbit Air does wonders for clearing any odors.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of finishing my room which is a 20’ x 17’ with 9’ ceilings. now to be fair my room is not in my livable house but my 40x60 metal workshop. I originally thought that the two Rabbit Airs I purchased would be enough but added the large Renpho which has helped. I am still planning on adding a ERV which will cycle the air in the room and exchange it with fresh outside air on a set schedule throughout the day. This is a must because of how tight I made my room in an effort to keep in the smoke. Once that is done, I can better comment. Here are a few pics so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Would it make sense to adapt from 6" to 3" just before it goes outside @I.T. Guy?

Thinking the volume of smoke would still exhaust OK but I'm not an HVAC expert by any means. It would certainly save you from cutting that brick.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I think the amount of constriction has more to do with air flow than the length of constricted flow, at least over shorter distance like he is dealing with. The hole needs to be bigger to improve, and if cutting, might as well meet specs...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?
Funny you should ask!!

This has been one hell of a busy year, and of course when it’s nice outside and I have a spare hour I can either have a cigar by the lake, or, work in a basement. So work on the room usually loses out lol.

In the summer I managed to make the bigger hole. I used an angle grinder with a masonry cutting wheel. Messy!!

Old:

And that’s where I ended that day lol. The brick melted like butter - but getting the grinder to make a hole was - unique. I already had the tool and know I wouldn’t need a 6” coring thingy ever again in my life, so I suffered through.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Funny you should ask!!

This has been one hell of a busy year, and of course when it’s nice outside abs I have a spare hour I can either have a cigar by the lake, or, work in a basement. So dork on the room usually loses lol.

In the summer I managed to make the bigger hole. I used an angle grinder with a masonry cutting wheel. Messy!!

Old:

And that’s where I ended that day lol. The brick melted like butter - but getting the grinder to make a hole was - unique. But I already had the tool and know I wouldn’t need a 6” coring thingy ever again in my life, so I suffered through.

Thats a long time to make a hole!!! . You know you can rent a core saw for cheap! Way to get it done though

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Funny you should ask!!

This has been one hell of a busy year, and of course when it’s nice outside abs I have a spare hour I can either have a cigar by the lake, or, work in a basement. So dork on the room usually loses lol.

Old:

And that’s where I ended that day lol. The brick melted like butter - but getting the grinder to make a hole was - unique. But I already had the tool and know I wouldn’t need a 6” coring thingy ever again in my life, so I suffered through.

Looking good.

Havanaaddict

Mr. Salomones
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Very nice:love: I have built a few rooms for friends and a few for me. I have a downstairs lounge and an upstairs lounge. (long story) I have always used PennBarry fans I have learned that the bigger the better! Downstairs lounge is 11x11x9 room and I used a Zephyr Z121S pulling 1150 CFMs still only 3.6 to 5.9 Scones mounted in the center of the celling. With the TV on it is only white noise and does a complete room air change ever min. The upstairs lounge I inclosed a loft and used a Broan L900 901CFM with 4.1 Sones this is my primary lounge that I was able to decorate with all my cigar collectables I have collected for 20 years!
IMG_2002.JPG
IMG_6497.JPG
IMG_1968 copy.JPG

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little later on I finished up the hole and sealed this in. Do not get expanding foam on you!! It took days to pick it all off.

Then the project stalled again.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas Day I woke up sick.
The next day I lost all taste so got tested.
Yep! The covid. So the family ran back home (they all tested negative) and I’m here all alone. So I started work again this week in between Covid naps.

I finished all the new fan and ducting, and already know now I want a bigger one (thanks Havana Addict) lol.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I taped everything off and spray painted matte walls to protect the Venetian plaster, and put the ceiling back together.

I over did it a bit and am resting again today - woke at 6:20, had to nap again by 8:00 slept ‘till noon. Slowly started moving.

All that’s left now is to lay the VTC tile over the heated floor. I’m going to mock it up later if I have energy. I can’t decide square to the walls or on a 45 degree angle to walls.

Havanaaddict

Mr. Salomones
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
That ceiling is outstanding!!! You will not retreat going bigger just watch the scones, try to keep them under 6.
The Broan L900 901CFM with 4.1 Sones. Also used a Broan Transition 8x12 to 12 inch.
Hooked up to a Broan Electronic Variable speed control 3 amp 120V 57w. All flowing throw 12” duct for 5 feet to an outside duct.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Don’t look up corrugated verse solid HVAC piping CFM loss. I haven’t logged on here most the this year but found your thread. Your excitement reminds me of my build from 2011. Get R done lol. Happy New year!

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Christmas Day I woke up sick.
The next day I lost all taste so got tested.
Yep! The covid. So the family ran back home (they all tested negative) and I’m here all alone. So I started work again this week in between Covid naps.

I finished all the new fan and ducting, and already know now I want a bigger one (thanks Havana Addict) lol.

Hope your taste comes back quickly like most. Mine took almost a year.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That ceiling is outstanding!!! You will not retreat going bigger just watch the scones, try to keep them under 6.
The Broan L900 901CFM with 4.1 Sones. Also used a Broan Transition 8x12 to 12 inch.
Hooked up to a Broan Electronic Variable speed control 3 amp 120V 57w. All flowing throw 12” duct for 5 feet to an outside duct.
6” is max I can fit unless I just seal a pair of ceiling joists and just use that whole area :)

If I need/want more I’ll put a 2nd 390 CFM fan in where you see the heat vent in the ceiling, aong with adding a second 6” hole to outside.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope your taste comes back quickly like most. Mine took almost a year.
Oof! That must have been scary. I’m a huge foodie traveling the world doing tasting menus and Michelin meals. I’ve been going to the extremes with my meals to try and get it back. Lots of hot and spicy, sweet, off the wall strong etc. today I ordered in some Indian and could taste it!! So it is already coming back some, I’m hopeful.

Did you have to do any taste training?

Last edited: