What's new

Cigars and Addiction

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is it just me or does anyone else find themselves constantly wanting a cigar. I literally smoke nothing else but I've been on about a month binge smoking cigars everyday. Sometimes two to three a day! Can anyone tell me if this is bad or just the way of a cigar smoker.
There have been studies done that say 2 a day is fine with no long term medical repercussions. Sounds to me like you enjoy your reflection time and your mind just associates that with a cigar and is telling you that it's time to go relax.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For awhile I smoke 2-3 cigars a day. But I'm also a cigarette smoker, and I know I have a nicotine addiction too. But I have been slowly tapering off and trying to control my smoking addictions.

It's good that your listening to your body and taking a break. I've always felt that if you have to ask the question of are you addicted, it's a sign.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it just me or does anyone else find themselves constantly wanting a cigar. I literally smoke nothing else but I've been on about a month binge smoking cigars everyday. Sometimes two to three a day! Can anyone tell me if this is bad or just the way of a cigar smoker.
There have been studies done that say 2 a day is fine with no long term medical repercussions. Sounds to me like you enjoy your reflection time and your mind just associates that with a cigar and is telling you that it's time to go relax.
I have to question the validity of that. I know full well there's a chance of cancer with cigars, even if I don't inhale.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have to question the validity of that. I know full well there's a chance of cancer with cigars, even if I don't inhale.
This was written in 99. Decide for yourself. There's a chance of cancer if you're human. Period.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This. Last winter I was sick with a cold for two weeks. I didn't have a cigar for ten days and I never had the same reaction that I did when I quit cigarettes in 1986. Of course there is the mental equation, I find myself wanting a cigar during the day and will generally puff on one on the way to work and home. But realistically, I have one of those compulsive personalities and love smoking cigars. It's mental for me, I hate the nicotine effect and will stop after I start feeling that buzz coming on.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had this issue. The only thing this happens to me with is caffeine and its basically to ward off the headache

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Interesting, I can go for weeks and not have one and really don't feel anything. Same applies if I feel I have burned my palette out, I'll go a couple days and really hydrate up. I smoke to enjoy and discover not to just burn through because I feel I need it.

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I don't get cravings for cigars so much as sometimes I just need to destress. And the first thing that comes to mind is "go have a cigar" , for a long time it was "go have a cigarette, and I definitely was addicted to those. But I decided to test it and see if I needed the cigar after seeing this thread. Videogames reading, playing with my new puppy or just going for a hike. They all work the same as a cigar for me. I would say for me its not an addiction. Its a preference.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've found that I think about having a cigar or smoking a cigar with friends or just getting people to try cigars a bit more than is rational or reasonable. In this case I would say it is likely I have a psychosomatic preference which borders on an addiction to the stress-relief that cigars with friends generally brings. I also wonder if it will get worse so I watch it. But it would be remiss of me to dismiss that with some conflicting statement just so I don't have to admit that.

That being said, I would reason that while I am not expecting cancer, that my decisions have increased the chance solely so through my gums and lips absorbing the nicotine (leading to said preference discussed above) and potentially the CO2.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have calmed down a lot on the cigar smoking lately just because I have put the cancer risk into a much higher regard.
Curious, what is calmed down? Asking really for my own purposes as I enjoy a cigar more than I wish I would. I try to keep to once per week, but that is 2-3 sticks when I do. I would say currently average every 5 days currently.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Curious, what is calmed down? Asking really for my own purposes as I enjoy a cigar more than I wish I would. I try to keep to once per week, but that is 2-3 sticks when I do. I would say currently average every 5 days currently.
I try and keep it to 1 stick a week (trying to push it to two weeks)... unless a buddy hits me up asking if I would like to smoke and chat in which case I will never pass up the opportunity lol. I don't know why it concerns me all of the sudden.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I quit smoking cig's 1 year ago.

Then I had my first cigar maybe 5 months ago...so the addiction of cigarette's is still a very close memory.

I started out smoking a cigar here and there, then quickly progressed to one every night, adding a second daytime smoke on the weekends.

I noticed I enjoyed the cigar so much more when I unintentionally skipped a day, so I made the conscious decision to start skipping many days on purpose.

This was no problem whatsoever for me to do, not even in the slightest.

Lately, I have been smoking about 2 days a week. On these days, I will have more than 1 cigar, but even on my off days, I make trips to my B&M, buy some sticks, take them home, read reviews on them, etc...and then stick them away like it's nothing.

In other words, very much UN-like cigarette's, in a typical day, I can see people smoking cigars, I can go spend time in a shop, buy them, get home, read about them, yet not feel the need to smoke one that day.

With cigarette's, I would be in a movie theatre, an actor on the screen could light up a smoke, and it would be all I could do to keep from walking right out of the movie to light up.

Go figure.