What's new

Cigars in Movies

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
From "Smoke" magazine

"What would Hellboy smoke?
In his 2008 Movie Guide review of Hellboy, film critic Leonard Maltin writes, “Perlman is terrific as the cigar-chomping, emotionally vulnerable Hellboy.” That enjoyment of cigars runs deep onscreen and off.

“My favorite cigar now is Joya de Nicaragua, the torpedo,” says Perlman. “It’s got a beautiful roll, a beautiful draw, a very robust flavor, and the blend is spectacular. It’s also priced pretty reasonably - that’s important when you smoke as many cigars as I do.”

In addition to Joya de Nicaragua, he likes a range of others from Partagas, Arturo Fuente, and Davidoff. His passion began long ago and hasn’t waned despite the ups and downs in cultural trends.

“I’ve been smoking cigars since college, which was decades before the cigar frenzy of the ’90s,” he says. “When the frenzy went away, I was still smoking cigars. I still smoke two or three a day.”
I wonder if swapped out the bands when he had to smoke Camachos in "Son of Anarchy".

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Would love to know what cigar Kevin Costner and Robert Duval were smoking towards the end of Open Range. They referred to them as Cuban cigars...I think they cost 10 cents, which was (based on the dialogue) a lot of money!

Obviously props, but some directors will go great lengths to replicate existing brands, products, etc in a period film...Wonder if the bands were also designed to mimick a Cuban band of that era.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you guys. In the Hangover when they get to their room and they are talking about the walnuts you can see 2 Gurkha cigars. Which one's are they? His Majesty's Reserve?

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Would love to know what cigar Kevin Costner and Robert Duval were smoking towards the end of Open Range. They referred to them as Cuban cigars...I think they cost 10 cents, which was (based on the dialogue) a lot of money!

Obviously props, but some directors will go great lengths to replicate existing brands, products, etc in a period film...Wonder if the bands were also designed to mimick a Cuban band of that era.
"All the way from Havana, Cuba!"

Be pretty cool to just walk into the general store and score a habano from the jar!

Robert Duvall is my favorite actor of all time, and he just shines in "Open Range".

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just caught part of Anzio (1968) on cinemax. Had a scene featuring Peter Falk, 3 italian ladies (of the night), and a box of Partagas, all chummy in the back of a U.S. military ambulance.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
didn't start a new thread lol......got the strep and I'm layed in bed watching movies, just realized that I've never seen a cigar band in a movie...they are always free of bands!? what gives?
Maybe a fear of copyright issues/merchandising? Also might be from some of the Anti-Fun Brigade trying to insist kids be unable to identify what is being smoked on screen.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not a movie, but in the final episode of Cheers, Ted Danson's character Sam shares a box of what look to be Cohiba Esplendidos with the rest of the cast. Frasier even calls them "A box of fine Cuban Cigars."

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Not sure what brand, but Al from quantum leap was always smoking what appeared to be churchills.