What's new

Cigars on a plane

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Do you want luggage handlers sifting through your checked bag, seeing some nice cigars and wondering if they should take them or not? It's no question in my mind, ALWAYS carry your cigars with you. Keep bands on CC's, no worries at all. Only time you need to "worry" is if you are doing Int'l travel and coming back to the US.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Sounds like I'm carrying them on! Thanks a ton for the responses, guys. Good to know I'll be able to take soime good stuff along.

I need to, because I haven't smoked in almost 4 months.....

Thanks!

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Do you want luggage handlers sifting through your checked bag, seeing some nice cigars and wondering if they should take them or not? It's no question in my mind, ALWAYS carry your cigars with you. Keep bands on CC's, no worries at all. Only time you need to "worry" is if you are doing Int'l travel and coming back to the US.
Us non ballers are ok with our crappy cigars though. :)

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'm heading down to Fla next week for a golf trip myself - yearly thing. I've always tossed a couple 5 count cases in my golf bag and a 15 count in checked luggage and never had a problem. Although seeing some of the stories above I may carry one this trip lol. Also never had a problem with lighters or cutters in the golf bag (including torch) but I usually just take one old torch that won't tick me off if it gets lost and a few Djeep lighters.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I always carry them on, never had a problem with a Xikar cutter in my carryon. Carried my Xikar "soft flame" light last time without issue too. My sticks go in my Xikar 10 count travel humi.

Heading to Vegas in April,, after reading some comments here i may leave the Xikar's home and travel with some chepos tho.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I visit my son in Heidelberg, I bring a 15ct herfidor in carry-on and buy my CCs in a shop while there. Then I re-band em before I leave.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I carry cigars on airplanes regularly. I've got both a 5 ct herf-a-dor and a 10 ct Xikar travel humi. I've never been asked about either.

Lighters and cutters can be a different story. I've carried on a guillotine cutter plenty of times, but technically I don't think you are supposed to. Torch lighters are a definite non-no (I don't even think they are allowed in checked luggage), so I always have a couple boxes of matches with me (also technically not allowed, but I've never been stopped). You could also swing by Wally World where ever you're headed and pick up a Ronson.

Enjoy your trip!
Thats how I did it.

jonnylieberman

Ask Me About Outrage
Rating - 97.5%
53   1   0
I just stated smoking seriously in September, but since then every flight I go on I carry or check my cigars. I fly at least twice a month. Never had a single issue.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure if this was mentioned above but get yourself a Travel Humidor THAT HAS A PRESSURE RELEASE VALVE!!!!!! Xikar is finally including the valves in their latest models and its a life saver...well maybe just a cigar saver but its definitely a necessity to any world traveler alike. I flew to Seattle on a business research trip with a early Xikar Travel Humidor (w/o a valve) and the pressure from flying sealed the humidor so much that it was inoperable for over 4 days. We practically had to rent a tank to get it open. That coin slot the none-release valve models come with are useless (probably why the upgrades). We tried knives, coins, brute strength, nothing was getting that thing opened. We let the shuttle driver back over it with the rear tires LOL. The even worse outcome before getting it open was that we had to buy new cigars for our trip and that was at Seattle's 17% sales tax too. Just invest a little extra in a model that features a release valve to save you worlds of trouble. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Glad I seen this thread as I too am taking a trip to Florida. I've always put my herf-a-dors in my checked bag with my cutter, lighter and some matches. No issues. Knock wood.

This time around I plan to do same but bring 2 or 3 pipes as well with some baccy.

Looks like I'll be carrying all this on with me and might leave my lighters home this time.

Is there any problem with the soft flame pipe lighters?? Or they're under the same catergory as say a Bic lighter I'm assuming??

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad I seen this thread as I too am taking a trip to Florida. I've always put my herf-a-dors in my checked bag with my cutter, lighter and some matches. No issues. Knock wood.

This time around I plan to do same but bring 2 or 3 pipes as well with some baccy.

Looks like I'll be carrying all this on with me and might leave my lighters home this time.

Is there any problem with the soft flame pipe lighters?? Or they're under the same catergory as say a Bic lighter I'm assuming??
Not sure, which category are you referring to again? (not a pipe smoker yet)

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Also glad I spotted this. Taking our honeymoon in September to St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands. From what I understand with USVI there's no customs check...probably no problem then to bring CC's?

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hey guys,

I'm heading out to play some golf this week. Getting on a plane and heading to Florida! I want to take some cigars on the trip. My questions is simply this. How do you fly with cigars?? I honestly have never flown with cigars. Do you check them, or carry them on? Also, if I carry them or check them, should I remove the bands from the CCs? Or doesn't it matter. Basically I am paranoid that if I have a big black Herf-A-dor in my carry on, that I'll get some looks and questions. I don't need an orifice check if ya get me.....ha. I'm even more paranoid that if I bring CCs, that they will be confiscated.

Cigar traveling newb here.

Thanks for the help!

-Paul
Carry on. I had a couple boxes of stick matches and a "V" cutter as well (in my carry on). Went through State side with no problems, 4 times. No one said Boo. The only time I had to show any one my herfadore was coming back to the States from Hong Kong and all they were looking for was bottled water. All I got out of the deal was "Cool" in broken Chinglish. No one seemed concerned with a few cigars. Granted I only had a 15 count travel humi but you can shoehorn quite a few cigars in one if your any good at Tetris. Just don't put anything else in your humi but cigars and you should be fine. Don't give them an excuse to open it in the first place. Be polite and show them if they ask. They are not going to take the time and look at every stick. It be more like. Open box. Yep, they are cigars and tell you to have a nice day. IMHO YMMV.