What's new

Coffee makes cigars better

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
So I've never been huge into pairing beverages with cigars. I usually stick to water, figuring I'll get a more "true" experience from the cigar. I will do Scotch every now and then, and have found that a nice single malt goes really will with the extra-full-bodied cigars I love to smoke at night. I also will do a root beer or Mt. Dew sometimes.

But lately I've been finding that nothing pairs better than coffee. Not only that, but I'm finding that coffee seems to make my cigars taste BETTER than water alone. Maybe it's because coffee is a natural palate-cleanser, maybe it's that many of my cigars have a natural coffee note to them anyway. All I know is that I'm having a great time :)

I do have to be careful that the blend of coffee isn't too strong for the stick (I'm still a coffee novice), but other than that I've been having a great time with my java + stogie rituals.

Anyone with me on this?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
don't drink anymore, sadly, but spirits can pair wonderfully, if you know ahead of time how the smoke and drink interact. have used SOME sodas before, but usually really light ones, like ginger ale (Ale-8 1 if you're in KY). coffee always made sense to me, some great coffees come from great tobacco regions; costa rica, sumatra, nicaragua. always wondered why no one has tried tobacco in hawaii. huh.

as with any pairing, it helps to know in advance. even a coffee freak like myself won't waste a delicate, refined smoke (espana) to being drowned in coffee. conversely, if the brew is good enough, i don't want the CIGAR to wash it out! o)

Palmettoguy

42-28'48'' N
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I pair more w/ rum than I do coffee, but I do pair w/ coffee.
I generally adjust my sugar & cream ratio depending on the strength of the cigar.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Glad to see there are others! Yea, like I said I'm a coffee novice. I have a decent coffee maker (standard, not a press or anything). I mostly buy the whole bean Starbucks and a couple others, but that's all the Commissary has (and the coffee in Japanese stores is crazy expensive ... like seriously, crazy!).

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Glad to see there are others! Yea, like I said I'm a coffee novice. I have a decent coffee maker (standard, not a press or anything). I mostly buy the whole bean Starbucks and a couple others, but that's all the Commissary has (and the coffee in Japanese stores is crazy expensive ... like seriously, crazy!).
Believe it it not, Japan imports a ton of ultra high quality green coffee year in & year out. Many Japanese roasters are major players in the various Cup of Excellence auctions (www.cupofexcellence.org) every year...

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I LOVE coffee with my cigars. I rarely get a chance to smoke in the mornings though so I usually opt for just water...or scotch...or beer...

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'm with you 100%! Unfortunately I rarely get a chance to smoke in the morning and if I have coffee after 2-3pm, I'm awake all night. :(

JuYcEmAn

¡Soy un esnob de Fuente!
Rating - 96.9%
37   1   0
I wholeheartedly agree NJ! Coffee is a great accompaniment to a cigar. And... it's fun to pair types of coffee with types of cigars. Although I truly love my liqueur pairings, I much prefer coffee.

USCG Cigar Newb

USCG Cigar Newb
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Typically if it is my first time having a particular cigar I will stick with water to try and get the true notes of the cigar. But after I have the general gist of a stick, I LOVE to have coffee with my sticks. I drink a few cups of coffee a day, one of my favorite beverages, and adding a cigar and sitting outside into the mix makes for such a relaxing time.