What's new

Coffee Roasting

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
So I decided to start a new thread on roasting instead of tying up the "what coffees are you drinking" thread.

I would like for people to post pics of setups, roasts, do's, donts, tips...etc.

If there is already one of these started then we can move this there. I searched and looked but not hard.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I roasted my first batch today. I just couldn't wait. I did it outside on the grill burner. It was about 35 out which I think made the roast take a little longer. I didn't hear first Crack till 15 min in.

It's fairly even and I'd say a city roast (didn't want to burn it).

Is it better to have too much heat and keep the beans moving or too little. I heard baking the coffee on to low heat gives it grassy taste.

Here's a shitty pic of my first.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Joe (@Wicket)...how long after you first hear the first crack do you typically let it go. I'm afraid I didn't wait long enough.

It's very different on the whirlypop I'm sure. @BrewinHooligan should chime in on that. For the Behmore I get almost done with first and drop the power level down for the last 2-3 minutes until I cool. Very rarely do I roast into second crack. Looking at yours Aaron I would say it's on the very light side but you may like that. If I was using the whirlypop I would let it hit second and pull off and do a quick cool. This would give you a baseline for the next batch.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I roast inside on my gas stove. I keep the heat just below medium. You will want a temp probe thermometer with the whirley popper. I wait to add the beans until it says 350f. Add the beans then crank that sucker. I keep it moving pretty quick to avoid scorching. I like a light roast so I kill the heat as soon as first crack is about finished (usually between 400f-425f). Then I dump into a pan to cool. They still darken some after you remove them from the heat. Roasting this way takes me about 10 minutes.

When I was using my air popper it would roast too fast and get me to second crack in about 5 minutes and everything I have heard says that to develop more character in the coffee you want the roast time to be around 10-15min depending on what you are going for. If the air poppers go too fast a long extension cord will suck some juice and slow it down a little

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
So the first roast was too light. Too bright and no coffee flavor at all. Roasted this am and took it to the sound of the second Crack and pulled it. Beans look way better. More expansion and darker.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
So the first roast was too light. Too bright and no coffee flavor at all. Roasted this am and took it to the sound of the second Crack and pulled it. Beans look way better. More expansion and darker.

Practice makes perfect . Now you have a baseline as you roast more all your senses will help you decide when to pull the beans. Let us know what that batch taste like.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Ok. Here is my first roast in the hot air popper. Turned on machine, placed in about 1/3 cup of Sumatra beans until rotation went from fast to barely moving. Heard first crack and continued to roast until second crack. Went about 15 seconds passed second crack. Poured in colander and cooled. Will grind it up and give it a whirl tomorrow morning or maybe even tonight if I can't wait. I hear that 6 hours wait is ok.
IMG_2536.jpg

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Ok. Here is my first roast in the hot air popper. Turned on machine, placed in about 1/3 cup of Sumatra beans until rotation went from fast to barely moving. Heard first crack and continued to roast until second crack. Went about 15 seconds passed second crack. Poured in colander and cooled. Will grind it up and give it a whirl tomorrow morning or maybe even tonight if I can't wait. I hear that 6 hours wait is ok.
View attachment 76084
Very nice looking roast. Looks like a full city to full city+ from the photo.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
View attachment 76084
Nice!!