What's new

Coffee Roasting

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I know a lot of people say that waiting 6 hours after roasting is enough. I have heard the darker the roast the longer you should wait. Personally, I can taste a noticeable difference if I can wait about 48 hours before trying. As you get started though, I encourage everyone to give some a try without rest and then save some for a few days and revisit so you can see a difference. I find that trying the coffee early I don't get as much flavor and have to use more coffee to compensate. I'm not sure why this is or what causes it, I never took the time to research it. I do know that the freshly roasted beans are off-gassing co2 and maybe it's the co2 inside fresh roasted beans that causes that.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Just roast a batch out of boredom. 18 minutes shown.

First photo on the right is green next is 1 minute into the roast. Every photo after that is 30 seconds more into the roast.

looks like I posted two of the same in that on ^^^ sorry

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Man that really demonstrates how quickly it takes place. I can really see the need to be right there while roasting.
Should have mentioned this was with that air pop pre warmed. My Behmore is much slower but I'm also roasting .5-1lb in that. Still once it gets into 1st crack things can move very fast so I'm always keeping my eye and ears focused on it.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
18 minutes. Wow! The batch I roasted this morning in the popper only took about 8 minutes or so but I didn't go as dark as yours. I supposed the newer the popper is the faster it roasts and it will take longer after some usage?

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
18 minutes. Wow! The batch I roasted this morning in the popper only took about 8 minutes or so but I didn't go as dark as yours. I supposed the newer the popper is the faster it roasts and it will take longer after some usage?
That's about right for what your photo shows. I only went that far to show the difference. I would never personally drink a roast that had 18 minutes on it.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
What is the best way to store green beans? When I really get into this will probably be buying in bulk, if it is easy to store. By bulk I'm thinking like 20ish lbs at a time.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
What is the best way to store green beans? When I really get into this will probably be buying in bulk, if it is easy to store. By bulk I'm thinking like 20ish lbs at a time.
I buy no more than 10lbs at a time and in CO I keep them in the ziplock bag in my kitchen with no noticeable effect up to about a month. I've never had enough to go over that so can't say for sure what time will do to them. From this page https://legacy.sweetmarias.com/library/content/green-coffee-storage-home-0 it sounds like your best keeping them like cigars for long periods.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
image.jpg Here is my setup as I am roasting a batch right now. I have been roasting for about 15 years. I went through several Fresh Roast hot air units and purchased the Gene Cafe about 5 pr 6 years ago. I leave two windows open and the white fan blows the smoke out the window. My neighbor across the street can smell when I roast and likes the smell. I love the Gene Cafe and try and roast two batches on the weekend which is enough for the week. I also roast a batch of decaf which lasts me for a couple of weeks. My primary source of beans is Sweet Marias. My least expensive source of beans is to purchase them direct from local commerical roasters. Since they buy them in bulk the price per pound is significantly less. They don't get asked for green beans often so they usually don't charge much more than their purchase cost. Roasting beans is as slippery a slope as cigars.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
View attachment 76130 Here is my setup as I am roasting a batch right now. I have been roasting for about 15 years. I went through several Fresh Roast hot air units and purchased the Gene Cafe about 5 pr 6 years ago. I leave two windows open and the white fan blows the smoke out the window. My neighbor across the street can smell when I roast and likes the smell. I love the Gene Cafe and try and roast two batches on the weekend which is enough for the week. I also roast a batch of decaf which lasts me for a couple of weeks. My primary source of beans is Sweet Marias. My least expensive source of beans is to purchase them direct from local commerical roasters. Since they buy them in bulk the price per pound is significantly less. They don't get asked for green beans often so they usually don't charge much more than their purchase cost. Roasting beans is as slippery a slope as cigars.
Very nice. I need to check with some of the other local roasters in town. The one I asked wanted 11.00-14.00 a lb unroasted

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Very nice. I need to check with some of the other local roasters in town. The one I asked wanted 11.00-14.00 a lb unroasted
The first time I did that they looked at me like I had three eyes. They had no idea people roasted coffee at home. Then they realized they could make a little money doing nothing and were only too happy to sell me the beans. Once I established a relationship it went smoothly.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well I can see that I need to some research to find the pros and cons of the Gene Cafe and Behmor roasters as I can definitely see one or the other in my future. This roasting your own coffee is indeed a hoot. I know right now that the Behmor can roast more beans per batch (1 pound vs. .5 pounds), is cheaper by a couple hundred dollars but that is pretty much the limit of my knowledge of the two roasters. Any other considerations I should know about regarding the two?

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Well I can see that I need to some research to find the pros and cons of the Gene Cafe and Behmor roasters as I can definitely see one or the other in my future. This roasting your own coffee is indeed a hoot. I know right now that the Behmor can roast more beans per batch (1 pound vs. .5 pounds), is cheaper by a couple hundred dollars but that is pretty much the limit of my knowledge of the two roasters. Any other considerations I should know about regarding the two?
Since I have a Gene Cafe I would say they are the best! I'm sure Wicket will disagree!! You can google gene cafe versus behmor and there are plenty of discussions which lay out the differences. The thing to remember with the Gene Cafe is that the cylinder is glass and roasting occurs by blowing hot air over the glass cylinder and heating it up. The cooling cycle reverses the process but you are blowing colder air over a hot glass cylinder so cool down is a gradual process. The beans still "cook" slightly during this process so they will be darker then when the cooling process starts. Getting the exact color you want tales a little trial and error and note taking on the times from prior roasts.

My advice is not to jump into one of these two units to quickly. They are expensive and $500 can buy you a lot of beans right now. My advice is to take the time to learn and experience roasting and working with the beans. Take notes on how long it takes to roast a bean from various countries and what color you like them. The time for roast can vary by Country of origin as well as the amount of chaff on the bean (e.g. Sumatran beans generally have less chaff and take longer to roast, decaf beans typically have little to no chaff and take longest to roast). Smell is critically important to roasting. When I started roasting I listened for the crack, then I roasted mostly by time by type of bean, now I mostly do it by smell. I would suggest standing over/by the roaster and smelling the air as it roasts. You will be able to discern the differences and pretty soon you will be able to know where your roast from anywhere in the house. Once you get a little more experience then you can't go wrong with either unit. By the way, it's one of my favorite things I have purchased (besides the commercial humidor).