What's new

Coffee Roasting

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Just made my first cup of the Sumatra from the Sweet Maria's sampler that I roasted to City plus yesterday. Made the cup with the Aeropress. It was just excellent. I hope I can duplicate this roast for this coffee. Great body, sweet and flavors that you cannot find in Starbuck's Sumatra. This is going to become an obsession.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Just made my first cup of the Sumatra from the Sweet Maria's sampler that I roasted to City plus yesterday. Made the cup with the Aeropress. It was just excellent. I hope I can duplicate this roast for this coffee. Great body, sweet and flavors that you find in Starbuck's Sumatra. This is going to become an obsession.
Sumatra is probably my favorite kind of coffee. If you like it you should try some Sulawesi or Java in the future. A lot of the Indonesian coffees have similar flavor profiles.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Ok all you whirley pop, is there a distinct pause between the first and second crack? I tried to stop both roasts after first pop but it seemed like first crack just never stopped. I don't remember the last time I had to force myself to drink coffee but today was definitely one of those days. I am determined to get this right since we currently spend well over 70 dollars a month on coffee.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Ok all you whirley pop, is there a distinct pause between the first and second crack? I tried to stop both roasts after first pop but it seemed like first crack just never stopped. I don't remember the last time I had to force myself to drink coffee but today was definitely one of those days. I am determined to get this right since we currently spend well over 70 dollars a month on coffee.
Bro when I do it I load it up almost 3/4 full. Then I stand there and with the lid on keep the popper moving in a circular motion to keep the beans roasting evenly(I smoke while I do this). But basically sit there and constantly shake it slowly....

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Second crack is really hard to hear in a whirly popper. If you have a digital thermometer with a probe you can stick through the side of the lid it will help. You may have your heat source too hot. Open the lid and check on the roast every few minutes. Pull it from the heat when it is almost as dark as you want it. It will darken some after you take it off the heat. If you are getting oily, shiny beans like that they are usually over roasted. They should still look somewhat dry when they are finished unless you like coffee that's reminiscent of charcoal.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Second crack is really hard to hear in a whirly popper. If you have a digital thermometer with a probe you can stick through the side of the lid it will help. You may have your heat source too hot. Open the lid and check on the roast every few minutes. Pull it from the heat when it is almost as dark as you want it. It will darken some after you take it off the heat. If you are getting oily, shiny beans like that they are usually over roasted. They should still look somewhat dry when they are finished unless you like coffee that's reminiscent of charcoal.
I keep it at just a bit over medium heat, I will try turning it down a little more and see how that goes. Do you all preheat the whirley pop before you put the beans in or just let them heat up with the pot?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I preheat the whirly popper to 350f before adding the beans. The temp drops when they are added then slowly comes up. I pull the beans out when the temp is between 400f-425f but it's usually on the higher end of that when I pull them

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I preheat the whirly popper to 350f before adding the beans. The temp drops when they are added then slowly comes up. I pull the beans out when the temp is between 400f-425f but it's usually on the higher end of that when I pull them
Thats about what I did, but pulled it before the temp got to 400 (air temp so I know the beans were hotter). What do you use to measure temp? A friend of mine recommended a laser thermometer since it actually measures the bean temp and not the air temp.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Thats about what I did, but pulled it before the temp got to 400 (air temp so I know the beans were hotter). What do you use to measure temp? A friend of mine recommended a laser thermometer since it actually measures the bean temp and not the air temp.
I just use a digital thermometer with a temp probe that measures the air temp. How long did your roast take?

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The first batch was 17:43 (way to dark) and the second was 10:27 (lighter but still to dark). What would be an average time? I know it will vary with beans, stoves, and such.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I average about 10 minutes roasting 3/4lb batches. Smaller quantities will take less time. I do usually start looking in about once a minute starting around minute 7 to check progress.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Been out of coffee to roast for a bit due to life getting in the way. Ordered some coffee from homeroastcoffee.com yesterday and anxious for it to ship. The Brazilian I have had before and really enjoyed, the Colombian is new to me. I will try some roasted by itself and then will try blending the two together.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Been out of coffee to roast for a bit due to life getting in the way. Ordered some coffee from homeroastcoffee.com yesterday and anxious for it to ship. The Brazilian I have had before and really enjoyed, the Colombian is new to me. I will try some roasted by itself and then will try blending the two together.
I'm not sure if I hate or love the fact that every single time I want to jump into another hobby, I find out that you beat me to it lol.

After I figure out home rolling, I'll have to give this a shot. Already have the air popper from way back when, just haven't had time for another project yet!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I'm not sure if I hate or love the fact that every single time I want to jump into another hobby, I find out that you beat me to it lol.

After I figure out home rolling, I'll have to give this a shot. Already have the air popper from way back when, just haven't had time for another project yet!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Get on it!! We are shooting for a coffee pass next month.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk