What's new

Converting a closet into a humidor (Completed)

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
The Accumonitor sensor, 3 remote sensors that measure temp/humidity and the display is on my desk so I all have to do is scroll through the display to monitor them. They are made by La Crosse Technology.

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
Ran into a small bump in the road. Converting the small room humidifiers into a direct feed doesn't seem to work. I guess with those units because of they way you fill them and almost everyone I have seen drains out the bottom, drilling a hole for the direct RO line messes with the vacuum inside the tank. So it appears that the only way to have a direct feed humidifier is to purchase one specifically for that. Not a big deal, just a little more expensive, as a small room humidifier runs about $40-$80 and the direct feed ones are $379. So just a FYI for those thinking of building a walk-in humidor and planned on a RO system to feed the humidifier instead of buying gallon jugs of distilled water. I have to order the humidifier now and will do a final updated pic when its installed.

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
New humidifier arrived and got it all setup and it seems to working great. It is a Essick tabletop model. After searching the internet I found the same models on a couple different cigar store supplier websites that were selling with the float modification. So for those thinking about a similar conversion this is a cheap way to go. The humidifier was $40 delivered from Amazon and I already had the float for the auto fill from the RO system I installed.

One wall stocked

Other wall stocked

Humidifier

Float installed in humidifier controls the water coming in from RO system

RO System installed on the wall. The RO system works off the incoming cold water line pressure. Because I am just filling up the humidifier, it acts as the tank and no storage tank is needed under the sink as typical when using for drinking water.

Under sink RO connection. Valve on the red line comes off the cold water incoming connection

Drain connection for the RO system. The waste water from the RO goes through the black line into this saddle valve out the drain.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
For once James I'm at a loss for words....that is just damn sweeeeeeet, great job my friend! :clap: :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
159   0   0
Drain connection for the RO system. The waste water from the RO goes through the black line into this saddle valve out the drain.
Just for what its worth. Your drain connection is attached improperly. It should be in front of the trap for the sink. Where you have it, sewer gasses have access to the line back to your RO unit. Probably not a big deal, but with such a SWEET closet and set-up, why risk it? :dunno:

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
Just for what its worth. Your drain connection is attached improperly. It should be in front of the trap for the sink. Where you have it, sewer gasses have access to the line back to your RO unit. Probably not a big deal, but with such a SWEET closet and set-up, why risk it? :dunno:
Thanks for the info. Why does the gas have access where it is now and they wouldn't on the other side of the trap? There isn't anything in the pipe to block them is there?

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Thanks for the info. Why does the gas have access where it is now and they wouldn't on the other side of the trap? There isn't anything in the pipe to block them is there?
There is always be standing water in the trap, as a result of the shape. This water acts as a barrier between the sewer (gasses) and the inside of your home.

Sweet build, by the way!