What's new

Couple restores I did tonight.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Yeah kiserus are awesome but I hear without the proper kiseru tobacco they kinda suck.
I've heard the same so I will keep my eye out for sources of kizami. But, in the meantime, I'd try some different regular tobaccos in one - unless hipsters start smoking them first then I won't go near one. :rofl:

I'd love one from Hiroyuki Tokutomi but his briars go for $3000 a piece. He's got a Facebook page, too.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Okay Dave,

In the past few days, as I prepare for my vacation, I have obtained the following:

Senior Reamer Cleaner
5 piece brush set to clean the interior of the stem
The full deoxidizer & carnauba wax/sealer kit from Walker Briar Works to clean the stems
A couple polishing cloths
A package each of rough, regular, and extra fluffy pipe cleaners

I'll also have plenty of kosher salt and alcohol with me in case I need to clean the bowls.

Anything else I'll need to restore a pipe? Besides the estate pipes, of course.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
OXYclean. powdered form. easiest and best way to de-gunk stems. soak them overnight before you do much else, or you're going to waste a LOT of cleaners on the airway. i have one pipe, love it now but i thought it would always taste like dead guy's cherry aro, you should have seen the mess out of that stem...

mind you, haven't (yet) used walker briar's stem set. their de-oxidizer may be for the entire stem, or just the exterior, i'm not certain.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
OXYclean. powdered form. easiest and best way to de-gunk stems. soak them overnight before you do much else, or you're going to waste a LOT of cleaners on the airway. i have one pipe, love it now but i thought it would always taste like dead guy's cherry aro, you should have seen the mess out of that stem...

mind you, haven't (yet) used walker briar's stem set. their de-oxidizer may be for the entire stem, or just the exterior, i'm not certain.
Thank, Javas! From the instructions I've read, I get the impression it's for the exterior.

To make sure I understand, I should soak the stem in a solution of OxyClean overnight, then run the pipe cleaners through?

Afterward, run a pipe cleaner soaked in whiskey or something through to sterilize it?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
mostly right. overnight bath in the solution should loosen anything built up in the airway, AND help to sterilize. alcohol couldn't hurt afterwards. you should rinse it thoroughly after, then go at it with the cleaners (or shank brushes if you have any). mind you, this WILL tank the finish on the stem (unless it is lucite, which is bulletproof), so please do the soak before you put a spit shine the stem.

also, of course, pix. o)

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
mostly right. overnight bath in the solution should loosen anything built up in the airway, AND help to sterilize. alcohol couldn't hurt afterwards. you should rinse it thoroughly after, then go at it with the cleaners (or shank brushes if you have any). mind you, this WILL tank the finish on the stem (unless it is lucite, which is bulletproof), so please do the soak before you put a spit shine the stem.

also, of course, pix. o)
Excellent advice, thanks. I know that one of the pipes I'm getting from Ebay has a stem that is almost fully oxidized. It's a Dr. Grabow that I paid $9 for and I bought it specifically because I wanted something that, if I destroy it during the restoration process, I'll be annoyed with myself but that would be the only consequence. Not like trying my first restoration on a 100 year old Dunhill :rofl:

So, I'll soak the stem first in the OxyClean solution and clean it out, THEN use the deoxidizer and wax on the exterior of the stem afterward.

I'll definitely post before and after pics. I'll be bringing my photo gear on vacation so I'll take better shots than a crappy iPhone...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another thing to consider is if you need to sand the stem a bit. So I've only finished my first estate, but the tool I used for sanding the stem was a 4-way nail buffer. I skipped the emery paper and went with sides 2 through 4. Put a pretty good finish on the stem. Available for $2.50 from a Sally Beauty store. Lower-grit micromesh on a budget.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Another thing to consider is if you need to sand the stem a bit. So I've only finished my first estate, but the tool I used for sanding the stem was a 4-way nail buffer. I skipped the emery paper and went with sides 2 through 4. Put a pretty good finish on the stem. Available for $2.50 from a Sally Beauty store. Lower-grit micromesh on a budget.
Your timing is awesome. I was just thinking about how to remove any teeth chatter from the stem and that nail buffer would work perfectly.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also a short flame with a Bic will raise the Vulcanite a bit (sort of like steaming a dent in wood). Worked on my little Wally Frank. Polished it out using elbow grease and automotive buffing compound. Pretty pleased with it, even if it doesn't look quite new.