What's new

Couple restores I did tonight.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Good eye! Yes it is. So reaming took a long time - not just because of the amount of cake but I didn't want to damage it.

Another good lesson with this one: if a stem is tight don't force it. This one had a screw on stem. Once I figured that out it came off easily.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Thanks brother.

I told my wife that my plan for vacation was restoring pipes, drinking bourbon, smoking cigars, and a helluva lot of photography.

It's going well!

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Well done Rob, you've inspired me to tackle the rest of my Dad's pipes. I'm a total noob at this so excuse stupid questions, but why is Grrr getting shiny stems and yours are staying fairly Matte? Are you using Obsidian oil ( or what ever it is) on them? Yours still look great, just curious.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Thanks Shawn. I am thrilled to hear you're going to work on the rest of your dad's pipes.

I'm pretty certain that it's because I haven't yet used the obsidian oil yet. Don't have any so I will order some when I get back and redo the stems.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
obsidian oil helps, but to get the "showroom wet" look, you really need a buffer set up. clean and crisp can be done by hand, fairly simply, but sparkly needs gear.

OR. i could be wrong, and would LOVE to find out how to get a high gloss (without a couple dozen man hours of tedium), if for myself than no other reason. o)