What's new

CroMagnon Vs Aquitaine?

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
So I ordered some 5ers from Podman - one Cromagnon and one Aquitaine. Then they showed up in a bag without any bands (I forgot about that part). So my question is: how do I tell one from the other? One looks black, and one looks black with a red-ish hue...

Also, chime in with any opinions as I am curious to see what you all think.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
So I ordered some 5ers from Podman - one Cromagnon and one Aquitaine. Then they showed up in a bag without any bands (I forgot about that part). So my question is: how do I tell one from the other? One looks black, and one looks black with a red-ish hue...

acqitaine.jpg Here is the Aquitaine. A lot lighter than the cromagnon.

CMA10-1.jpg

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The Acquitaines and CroMags I bought (Anthro and mandible) were the same color. Luckily, they were different vitolas :). They're both good. The Acquitaine is a powerhouse. Really.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
The Aquitaine I have are very dark, nearly indistinguishable from the regular Cromags.

As to which is better--jury still out for me. I find the new batch too fresh compared to the last one, so they're goin to rest a bit.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
The Aquitaine I have are very dark, nearly indistinguishable from the regular Cromags.

As to which is better--jury still out for me. I find the new batch too fresh compared to the last one, so they're goin to rest a bit.
This. I bought a 10pk bundle, labeled, of both CroMagnon & Aquitaine Anthropology in maybe September. Will probably crack them open in January.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Aquataine has a lighter reddish hue to it. The CroMagnon is a darker black color with the Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper. I was informed that bands are coming very soon though.
From the man himself. And this, Gentlemen, is why I love BOTL.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Aquataine is definitely the stronger blend. Hard to tell apart, got mine from Hava cigar so they were in labeled bags. Still like the knuckle dragger best.
Off topic here but I think the opposite. I find the Cromag to be a in your face smoke while the Aqua is not as strong but stronger flavors. Just my opinion.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0

Nah, Tom. No worries... You are still "in-bounds."

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
CroMagnum has this "sweetness" to it that I love!
Aquatine is the shiznit too don't get it twisted.
Tom I think you're right about it being a 'flavor bomb'!

One thing I like about this brand is that the owners Skip and Michael are cool as shit! (love those guys)
and they are dedicated to both their customers and their brand!

I just hate they don't sell boxes of 35 anymore!

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Earlier versions are much easier to tell apart. The last couple of boxes I got, they were almost identical in shade. I've mentioned this before but the Aquitane is like a bold spicy entree whereas the Cromag is like a sweet decadent dessert. Aquitane definitely has more strength. G1

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I likes them both. ;)

The Broadleaf has more tooth and is more rustic. The Habano can be nearly as dark, but has the red tint.

Thanks for the kind words...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CroMagnum has this "sweetness" to it that I love!
Aquatine is the shiznit too don't get it twisted.
Tom I think you're right about it being a 'flavor bomb'!

One thing I like about this brand is that the owners Skip and Michael are cool as shit! (love those guys)
and they are dedicated to both their customers and their brand!

I just hate they don't sell boxes of 35 anymore!
Would u say sweeter than an Undercrown?

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Honestly, I think all the sizes are great. The Knuckle-dragger probably wins for me overall, though I love the Mandible (strongest of the bunch, imvho)--and that's something, since I usually dislike fat cigars.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
My size of choice is Anthropology but the Knuckle Dragger and Cranium in both lines are very popular as well.
yeah, a corona Garda done well is a sexy thing. then again, have yet to try the aquitaine. and also have a strong preference to the 5 5/8x46.

oh, and thanks for the box of cromag anthros i bought off you, man! o)