What's new

Crowned Heads - La Imperiosa

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Spectacular post. I really wish you would consider doing a "From the Mind of Saka" thread and just treat it like a blog. I find your insights into the industry very gripping and infinformate, and I appreciate that you take the time to share these with us. Keep up the good work, sir.
Absolutely! I second that. To have the good fortune of having really sharp industry people here only reinforces my consumer confidence--like a thousandfold. Plus, it's nice to know a little of what happens behind the curtain.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
BOTL - Honestly....I am SO...F-ING....TIRED..of the ongoing discussion of 'should CH have re-released the LC14 blend or not'. Really--nothing left to see here..let's move on and smoke some damn CIGARS.

In the end, some ppl handed my a$$ to me for being honest about the La Imperiosa blend. That IS the bottom line. I/we didn't need to have full disclosure--coulda just released La Imperiosa and never even mentioned it was the same blend as Las Calaveras EL 2014. But we chose to be honest, authentic, and transparent. Look what /that/ gets you in this business(!).

Charlie Minato at Halfwheel had an excellent editors note (with his La Imperiosa review) that he published. He mentioned that there have been many other cigars that began as LEs that became regular production lines. Example: Tatuaje T110 became Fausto. Illusione eccj became Epernay. We're not the first kids on the block to do this--but for some reason, when WE do it, it brings the haters out in droves.

Whatever.

PLEASE---just someone smoke the damned La Imperiosa and post your comments--Good, Bad, or indifferent--on this thread or wherever you want....and, in the end, if you enjoy the smoke and it gives you 1-1.5 hours of escape and enjoyment from the drudgery of the day--then BRAVO...mission accomplished. THAT is all that matters.

Next.....

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If you are looking for some LC15's, Tampa Humidor has some in stock.
I have some left. A few resting at my local B&M locker and 4 at home. They're tasty and special sticks to me. I wasn't around for the LC14's.

The La Imperiosa's well...those will become a staple in my humi. I absolutely love them. Just wanted to see if they're going to be a regular production smoke. Which I found the answer here (I think) and also on CH website that in deed it looks like it'll be a regular production. So I'm beyond excited!!!! A box is in my future for sure!!

Last edited:

coppereagl

Not looking for trouble, but if it finds me....;)
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Im flipping stoked to try these! God@mn! That was some dramatic 12 pages... I better head to the box splits, and be quick about it.

Mad respect Jon Huber, I understand your frustration from what Ive read. As a visionary and producer Im sure you understand youll never win them all, But damn! Is it cool to see you keeping your ear close to the ground to learn what your consumers feel. That alone means millions. Im looking forward to my first CH, thanks to Mischman, Ill definitely be lighting that after patrol

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Mr. McSquirelly - The band is as close to the OR Cuban release (circa 1910-20) as we could make it, with the exception of changing 'Habana' to 'Nicaragua' and adding our customary 3 'stars'...and we change the color from red to this lt blue, as well.

And, YES, this was done intentionally (had some blogger accuse me of being a 'copycat'--when you relaunch an old Cuban brand that IS the f-ing INTENT..to stay close to the OR and pay homage)....

The bands are produced in Holland by Vrijdag--regarded as among the best.

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads

coppereagl

Not looking for trouble, but if it finds me....;)
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JonHuber Haters gonna hate! Keep doing what you're doing. I see tons of positive comments everywhere. In these days of social media it seems the vocal minority can just squeal away endlessly. Here's what was in my mailbox today, and I'm sure there are many more that have the same appreciation for the cigars and your overall way of doing business. My Wineador is probably 80% Crowned heads and that's because not only are your cigars great, I love the overall general attitude of the company. Good people...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
BOTL - Insofar as the symbolisms behind the 'crest' we created (which--of course--we took sh*t for because we actually altered the OR Cuban packaging--whereas, we took sh*t for /maintaining/ the OR elements of the band--please explain that to ME) for the vista, Charlie Minato does a superb job of breaking it down and explaining it in great detail within his Halfwheel review here:

http://halfwheel.com/la-imperiosa-magicos/94231

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
@JonHuber, @ssaka and all BOTLs, I think we all know who is shoveling shit Jon's way about this. It's people who buy cigars because they want their private stock of "special" cigars, either because they want to feel unique, or because they want to lord them over those who didn't buy them, or because they want to gouge people in the future for a 5er or a box (rumors abound of 2014s going for $20-25/stick, which is insane, but you know what they say about a fool and his $).

The "collector mentality" is strong with our group. It has a dark side.

I bought a box of LC550s and bombed out a ton of them. I still enjoy one on occasion (because, awesome). And I know that even if the blend is the same, they will never smoke exactly like the Imperiosa, because age, harvest, vitola, etc etc etc. Most importantly, both cigars are great smokes, and those of us who buy because WE LOVE TO SMOKE CIGARS will never give you or anyone else shit about recreating a beloved blend -- in fact, we celebrate it.

Paul

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I love the band and how boring would it be to just slap the old crest and the old band without a re-fresh. The color choice for the blue is superb. Only thing I don't like is gold dust all over my cigar and humidor, but some bands are much worse than others in that regard so I can't judge the LI since I don't have any yet.

I think the changes make it interesting. It's not like the band was iconic like the Montecristo band that was just recently ruined by Habanos. This is an old cuban band that nobody knew and is being reintroduced. The modifications both honor the heritage of the brand and make it modern at the same time.

Regarding the blend, those on the demand side who have no experience with the supply side of the equation are always going to find some fault with any business decision that isn't absolutely pristine and without flaw. Give the guy a break, he's making fantastic smokes and making things interesting in the cigar world. I don't find anything eggregious with taking an experimental blend, finding out everyone likes it a lot, and deciding to take the appropriate actions and decisions to bring the blend to regular production so more people can enjoy it.