What's new

Crowned Heads - La Imperiosa

Rating - 100%
231   0   0
http://halfwheel.com/las-calaveras-edicion-limitada-2014-lc550/59398

Well then that's just false advertising right there.

But yeah I understand. I'd do the same thing if I were in their shoes. People want it. So give it to them. Just saying. Don't call it limited whatever if it isn't. That is my .02.

The LC 2014 was a fantastic cigar. CH makes fantastic cigars. But you can't blame me for feeling bad at the moment. It's great for the folks who didn't get the chance to smoke them before. But then again. What about the people who got romanced with the notion of a rare gem? After all, cigars are about experiences. And this takes some of it out.
Have some cheese with that whine

Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Ok...for the luvagod, PLEASE....here is what was "said" about Las Calaveras last year:

"With each year’s annual limited release, the blend and presentation of Las Calaveras will be altered. What will remain the same, however, is the spirit behind the cigar."

We have done EXACTLY THAT. Las Calaveras EL 15 was altered (from the 14 blend).

People should spend more time ENJOYING CIGARS and less time trying to look for loopholes, and conspiracy theories....

Honestly...I am OVER all this BS.

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads
I like you and your cigars John screw the whiners

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
After reading back, I've never heard of the LC14's because I never knew they existed until joining here earlier this year. Since I missed out on that limited release, I was introduced to the LC15's while stopping by a local B&M in Florida. BTW, the employee talked up Crowned Heads real good and showed me the selection. Of course, since here in NY, I couldn't find any for the life of me. I couldn't pass up to buy a few because after all it's a limited release and once they're gone...well they're gone and I'm shit outta luck. I managed to find a fellow BOTL here who I purchased a 5-er from to add to the CH stash that's now slowly taking over my humidor. I've had some bombs send my way including some Jericho Hill smokes and others from Crowned Heads which are resting.

I FINALLY got my hands on the La Imperiosa's. Actually, saw my local B&M post it up on Instagram the other day. So I had to get to there before they fly off the shelf. I forgot what sizes they had left, but whatever was on the shelf that was it until their next shipment (hopefully). So when I got home, I sat down with some buffalo trace bourbon and my very first La Imperiosa cigar I said to myself, I should've checked to see if this too is a limited edition....because if I like this a lot....I'm going right back to the B&M and buying a box if I could still gets my hands on them. Well, this was one of the top 10 cigars I've ever smoked. The price point is also right in my range so I'm not breaking the bank.

I figured to jump on the laptop (since I'm mostly on tapatalk) and check here to see if anyone before me asked if this is going to be a regular release cigar. And I'll admit, I figured it was a really dumb question to ask. But it seems like this one will now be a regular production cigar if I'm reading back correctly??? If so, I'm STOKED and I'll be purchasing a sampler pack and going to see which size I like best and then save up to get myself a box.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
After reading back, I've never heard of the LC14's because I never knew they existed until joining here earlier this year. Since I missed out on that limited release, I was introduced to the LC15's while stopping by a local B&M in Florida. BTW, the employee talked up Crowned Heads real good and showed me the selection. Of course, since here in NY, I couldn't find any for the life of me. I couldn't pass up to buy a few because after all it's a limited release and once they're gone...well they're gone and I'm shit outta luck. I managed to find a fellow BOTL here who I purchased a 5-er from to add to the CH stash that's now slowly taking over my humidor. I've had some bombs send my way including some Jericho Hill smokes and others from Crowned Heads which are resting.

I FINALLY got my hands on the La Imperiosa's. Actually, saw my local B&M post it up on Instagram the other day. So I had to get to there before they fly off the shelf. I forgot what sizes they had left, but whatever was on the shelf that was it until their next shipment (hopefully). So when I got home, I sat down with some buffalo trace bourbon and my very first La Imperiosa cigar I said to myself, I should've checked to see if this too is a limited edition....because if I like this a lot....I'm going right back to the B&M and buying a box if I could still gets my hands on them. Well, this was one of the top 10 cigars I've ever smoked. The price point is also right in my range so I'm not breaking the bank.

I figured to jump on the laptop (since I'm mostly on tapatalk) and check here to see if anyone before me asked if this is going to be a regular release cigar. And I'll admit, I figured it was a really dumb question to ask. But it seems like this one will now be a regular production cigar if I'm reading back correctly??? If so, I'm STOKED and I'll be purchasing a sampler pack and going to see which size I like best and then save up to get myself a box.
If you are looking for some LC15's, Tampa Humidor has some in stock.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hate it when companies do this. I mean, most of us waited anxiously. Kept badgering our BnMs and other suppliers. Maybe even stayed up late or woke up really early. Just to get a hold of ''Limited Editions''.

I mean, why didn't they just make it a regular production in the first place? What was their motivation in realising it as a limited ed? I thought cigars are limited due to the short supply of the leaves needed.

I feel cheated. Not financially, but emotionally. Kyle did the same thing with the Don Reynaldo. Now everytime I smoke one from my precious box, I'm just reminded that I got suckerpunched somehow.

Now I guess I won't be able to enjoy my 2014 LC like I used to. It's no longer special. It's a great cigar no doubt. But it's no longer special.

I'm disappointed with these two companies. Not that it matters though. Afterall, I'm just a really small fish in a really big sea. But now, I wont be able to bring myself to enjoy their offerings. At least for now.

Now where did I put that Limited Ed Pepin...

FULL DISCLOSURE - I HAVE NOT READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD BUT I WANTED TO COMMENT ON THIS

I have no clue what CH intent was, is or may ever be. I know they are good people, I like them, I like their work, but my comment has nothing to do with them or even this particular situation. [ADDED - until the PS part]

I want to add my two cents to the general concept of: Why would a maker release a LE to then a later make it into a Regular Production item rather than just make it Regular Production to start.

Short Answer: Tobacco and/or Cash

Long Answer: When creating blends you are often working with a combination of materials, some the factory has deep inventories of, some the have limited inventories of, and many times sample tobaccos you got from your various growers and brokers. Sometimes one of these blends for which there are not enough materials really sings to you, but the only way to release it is do it in a LE style as there is maybe only enough leaf to make say 2,000 or even less at times.

Now you have to look at this from two different perspectives: the FACTORY & BRAND OWNER (FBO) vs. the BRAND ONLY (BOO) OWNER...

FBO Perspective: If really love the blend and it is for one of my brands, then I can decide in advance of ever selling it I am going to go deep and start buying the tobacco needed right away to develop and grow the brand... might launch with the intent of it being limited, but have in my head and typically in my sales pitch, that it will be limited in the beginning, but intend on making more as we are making the cash commitment to grow the brand. BUT if I am the FBO and the BOO comes up with something that requires serious in advance tobacco commitments I am going to be unwilling to make them as I have no guarantee that the BOO will ever order beyond those initial few thousand boxes. I mean why would I start buying on a 3-year plan tobacco for someone else's brand??? No one would with a brain...

BOO Perspective: Not only do I not have as deep of pockets as the FBO, but even if I do am I going to trust them to hold 3-year's of my leaf in their factory? Fire, theft, poor fermentation, and on and on... way way too risky. And no offense intended, but most BOO don't know nearly enough about tobacco to truly buy, select and work their own leaf... I know they often say they do, but they don't so they have to work with the Factory partners to make their product come to fruition. Plus the cigar market is one hell of a fickle mother, who the hell knows what will catch and what will not catch? Sometime you make something you think will be a homerun and you foul out, other times you make this little bitty house blend for some store in bumfuck wherever and it goes gangbusters... so when you get a "winner" I completely understand the BOO's desire to make it into a continually produced item - gives the vast majority of the consumers what they want and gives you what you need: ongoing sales.

Ultimately, this is the cigar BUSINESS. And in order for either the FBO or the BOO to continue doing what they do they must do what makes good solid business sense. And imo, to do otherwise is just plain stupid.

I know that if I were to release a LE and it turned out to be a huge success with my customers I would try to find a way to make more of it. And this is why I am very careful to never say never, if I ever do a LE I typically year code the release and always leave the door open for there being more.

As a maker, the entire secondary post retail sales market is nonsense imo.

You should NOT be buying cigars at these crazy prices - a little extra because you want to try it and can't find it, fine I understand that, BUT when you buy cigars at crazy inflated prices then this is a risk YOU assume. The maker didn't make a dime of that and protecting the interest of these consumers is not nor should it be their responsibility. Take the Habanos Trinidad 7x38 craze - the diplomatic boxes exceeded $10K each in the secondary and auction market! Only for Habanos to then release the same blend in regular production in a 7X40 format a year later and at pricepoint lower than their Cohiba line .. talk about getting tatoo'd, but whose fault is that? Habanos never promised they would never release Trinidad to the general cigar public, all they did was have a special cigar they were sharing in limited quantities and when they saw there was demand they did what they could to meet it. Those crazy communist capitalists! <snicker>

Secondly, they are f'ing cigars - as a maker we are in the business of making more and I can tell you in my 30+ years there will always be another great cigar to smoke.

BR,

STS

ps: I personally bought three boxes of the 2014 Las Calaveras and am glad they are releasing the blend again... Had it been me though I woulda' kept the Las Calaveras on it as I think they are wasting the brand equity, but I don't know jack shit about what they said or didn't say or what they are thinking, so my opinion is purely from my fat ass.

Last edited:

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Since this thread has come back to life again, I just re-read the whole thing. But here we are now and most of us have tried La Imperiosa. I've already smoked two 6 3/8 50s with little rest. It is just a fantastic cigar. What really amazed me, after removing the band, is that the band is an authentic Cuban band, with the same minuscule diamond figure at the end of it! This not only shows a wonderful attention to detail, but demonstrates @JonHuber's genuine passion for this art-form. Capitalism is a fine thing when practiced with integrity!

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
FULL DISCLOSURE - I HAVE NOT READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD BUT I WANTED TO COMMENT ON THIS

I have no clue what CH intent was, is or may ever be. I know they are good people, I like them, I like their work, but my comment has nothing to do with them or even this particular situation. [ADDED - until the PS part]

I want to add my two cents to the general concept of: Why would a maker release a LE to then a later make it into a Regular Production item rather than just make it Regular Production to start.

Short Answer: Tobacco and/or Cash

Long Answer: When creating blends you are often working with a combination of materials, some the factory has deep inventories of, some the have limited inventories of, and many times sample tobaccos you got from your various growers and brokers. Sometimes one of these blends for which there are not enough materials really sings to you, but the only way to release it is do it in a LE style as there is maybe only enough leaf to make say 2,000 or even less at times.

Now you have to look at this from two different perspectives: the FACTORY & BRAND OWNER (FBO) vs. the BRAND ONLY (BOO) OWNER...

FBO Perspective: If really love the blend and it is for one of my brands, then I can decide in advance of ever selling it I am going to go deep and start buying the tobacco needed right away to develop and grow the brand... might launch with the intent of it being limited, but have in my head and typically in my sales pitch, that it will be limited in the beginning, but intend on making more as we are making the cash commitment to grow the brand. BUT if I am the FBO and the BOO comes up with something that requires serious in advance tobacco commitments I am going to be unwilling to make them as I have no guarantee that the BOO will ever order beyond those initial few thousand boxes. I mean why would I start buying on a 3-year plan tobacco for someone else's brand??? No one would with a brain...

BOO Perspective: Not only do I not have as deep of pockets as the FBO, but even if I do am I going to trust them to hold 3-year's of my leaf in their factory? Fire, theft, poor fermentation, and on and on... way way too risky. And no offense intended, but most BOO don't know nearly enough about tobacco to truly buy, select and work their own leaf... I know they often say they do, but they don't so they have to work with the Factory partners to make their product come to fruition. Plus the cigar market is one hell of a fickle mother, who the hell knows what will catch and what will not catch? Sometime you make something you think will be a homerun and you foul out, other times you make this little bitty house blend for some store in bumfuck wherever and it goes gangbusters... so when you get a "winner" I completely understand the BOO's desire to make it into a continually produced item - gives the vast majority of the consumers what they want and gives you what you need: ongoing sales.

Ultimately, this is the cigar BUSINESS. And in order for either the FBO or the BOO to continue doing what they do they must do what makes good solid business sense. And imo, to do otherwise is just plain stupid.

I know that if I were to release a LE and it turned out to be a huge success with my customers I would try to find a way to make more of it. And this is why I am very careful to never say never, if I ever do a LE I typically year code the release and always leave the door open for there being more.

As a maker, the entire secondary post retail sales market is nonsense imo.

You should NOT be buying cigars at these crazy prices - a little extra because you want to try it and can't find it, fine I understand that, BUT when you buy cigars at crazy inflated prices then this is a risk YOU assume. The maker didn't make a dime of that and protecting the interest of these consumers is not nor should it be their responsibility. Take the Habanos Trinidad 7x38 craze - the diplomatic boxes exceeded $10K each in the secondary and auction market! Only for Habanos to then release the same blend in regular production in a 7X40 format a year later and at pricepoint lower than their Cohiba line .. talk about getting tatoo'd, but whose fault is that? Habanos never promised they would never release Trinidad to the general cigar public, all they did was have a special cigar they were sharing in limited quantities and when they saw there was demand they did what they could to meet it. Those crazy communist capitalists! <snicker>

Secondly, they are f'ing cigars - as a maker we are in the business of making more and I can tell you in my 30+ years there will always be another great cigar to smoke.

BR,

STS

ps: I personally bought three boxes of the 2014 Las Calaveras and am glad they are releasing the blend again... Had it been me though I woulda' kept the Las Calaveras on it as I think they are wasting the brand equity, but I don't know jack shit about what they said or didn't say or what they are thinking, so my opinion is purely from my fat ass.
Spectacular post. I really wish you would consider doing a "From the Mind of Saka" thread and just treat it like a blog. I find your insights into the industry very gripping and informative, and I appreciate that you take the time to share these with us. Keep up the good work, sir.