What's new

Cuban vs Non Cuban

usmcpurcell

Dutch
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have to know since I haven't had the pleasure in smoking one, but is there a big difference in a cuban cigar versus a high end non cuban. I don't want to lust after something I can't get my hands on if I can obtain a smoke that is just as good?

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Yup. Most definitely a difference. That being said, the difference is in taste only. I'm not going to suggest that CC are better than non-CCs, or vice versa, but there is definitely a difference. Unfortunately, the only way to know if you prefer one over the other, is try one. I think you will find CCs to be milder in strength, but big on flavour. But obviously, that depends on your palate.

Probably no help at all, but there it is.

CigarSaint

Who Dat!
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I had a Montecristo # 2 this past Saturday and it was delicious. I don't smoke cigars to the nub but this one I did. It was perfectly rolled i.e. not to tight and just loose enough to where it allowed more smoke to got through.

Just a remarkable smoke!!

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You will find that if you get CC's, there are going to be construction issues with about 25% of them....sometimes a bit more. Lately you can find better construction, but there are just some years you want to avoid like the plague.
As far as taste; I have found many NC's that really do come close enough that I enjoy them more due to their very much lower price point. I love my CC's, but some days it is just so much of a hassle that I would rather just buy NC's at half the price and just be done with it. You can find a lot of guys who smoke a lot of CC's who will tell you that they won't smoke one/two/three different markas from the island, it really is all about subjective tastes.
Give em a try, but remember, don't put too much pressure on your first couple smokes just because they will be your first. You need to figure out which you like, and sometimes you can get a dud. Alas, I think you will enjoy them just as much as the rest of us who take the risks to get them.

JGD

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
You will find that if you get CC's, there are going to be construction issues with about 25% of them....sometimes a bit more. Lately you can find better construction, but there are just some years you want to avoid like the plague.
As far as taste; I have found many NC's that really do come close enough that I enjoy them more due to their very much lower price point. I love my CC's, but some days it is just so much of a hassle that I would rather just buy NC's at half the price and just be done with it. You can find a lot of guys who smoke a lot of CC's who will tell you that they won't smoke one/two/three different markas from the island, it really is all about subjective tastes.
Give em a try, but remember, don't put too much pressure on your first couple smokes just because they will be your first. You need to figure out which you like, and sometimes you can get a dud. Alas, I think you will enjoy them just as much as the rest of us who take the risks to get them.
I completely disagree with this statement. I have had very few construction issues with all the CCs I have smoked. This however is true with 2000 - 2002 smokes, but more recent years have not had nearly as many issues. Are some NCs rolled better than CCs overall? Yes, Padron especially. But, 25% is a huge number that is out of the norm.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
There is a difference, just as there is a difference between Nicaraguan and Dominican cigars. It certainly does depend on your palate. I know some gentlemen who only prefer to smoke CCs while others are indifferent. Personally, I enjoy them. However, if I found out I would never be able to have another, I know there are plenty NCs that I enjoy as well and I would be just fine.

Reactions: ENV

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I have found many NC's that really do come close enough that I enjoy them more due to their very much lower price point. I love my CC's, but some days it is just so much of a hassle that I would rather just buy NC's at half the price and just be done with it.
Every time I've seen this question raised the "cubans cost more" issue is brought up. If youre paying B&M prices for cc's (say in Canada or other local foreign markets) and comparing that to say online prices of NCs that might be true...but as a blanket statement, that couldn't be further from the truth IMO. Cubans are just as affordable, particularly at online prices. True some Cuban LE/REs are out of hand, but same holds true for NCs as well.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Every time I've seen this question raised the "cubans cost more" issue is brought up. If youre paying B&M prices for cc's (say in Canada or other local foreign markets) and comparing that to say online prices of NCs that might be true...but as a blanket statement, that couldn't be further from the truth IMO. Cubans are just as affordable, particularly at online prices. True some Cuban LE/REs are out of hand, but same holds true for NCs as well.
I agree. In fact, I'll take it a step further and say I think CCs retail for less than many NCs online.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It is definitely a preference issue. For me, I have grown very tired of most Nic tobacco. I do not like the amount of pepper that results both from that region and the fermentation process they use. As of yesterday, I now have more CC's in my collection than NC's. I do like a lot of Dominican NC's still but for the most part I am enjoying CC's much more these days. I also agree that CC's are not more expensive. There are a lot of amazing $5 smokes out of Cuba. Construction for the past 8 years have been almost on par with NC smokes in my experience. Just my 2 cents.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
If you are looking for larger smokes you might go up to $6-8. Some of my favorites would be Ramon Allones Specially Selected, H Upmann #2, Monte #2, Bolivar BF. Most regular production Cuban cigars can be purchased for less than $10/stick. Exceptions being some of the churchhills sizes, Limited Editions, Cohiba's, and Trinidad's.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
It is definitely a preference issue. For me, I have grown very tired of most Nic tobacco. I do not like the amount of pepper that results both from that region and the fermentation process they use. As of yesterday, I now have more CC's in my collection than NC's. I do like a lot of Dominican NC's still but for the most part I am enjoying CC's much more these days. I also agree that CC's are not more expensive. There are a lot of amazing $5 smokes out of Cuba. Construction for the past 8 years have been almost on par with NC smokes in my experience. Just my 2 cents.
I half agree with you that the spice in many Nica cigars is overpowering for my tastes but will say that tends to dissapear after time and turn into more complex flavours I love. Not a fan of young DPG blue but 06 is amazing. They seem to age almost as well as cc's for me. Am excited to see what happens to some of these spice bombs with 10 to 15 years on them. Problem for me is it is way easier to find aged CC's then NC's.

Posted via Mobile Device