What's new

Custom BOTL "Roycroft" Humidor

Yes or no on the BOTL theme?

• YES - it's a great homage to the Brotherhood!

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • NO - it's a bit tacky for a family heirloom!

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
A shout-out to @GolfNut as the genesis of the following project. His thread, http://www.botl.org/threads/new-cabinet-humidor.78719/ , has encouraged me to have someone custom build a cabinet humi for me (of similar dimensions). And with all the BOTL merchandise we're been getting around here lately, my imagination has been running wild. I am seriously thinking of making this a BOTL-themed humidor. I did some searching on the 'Net and found some public domain artwork of a tobacco leaf, matched it up with a nice Arts and Crafts font and came up with this for the top of my cabinet:

The tradition I want this humidor built in is called Roycroft, A.K.A. "Arts and Crafts," or "Mission." I live right near the village of East Aurora, NY -- birthplace of the Arts and Crafts movement in America. I've chosen Thomas Pafk to do the work; he's a master wood artisan who pays excruciating attention to detail. He did a bedroom set similar to this for my mother a few years ago that is absolutely stunning (Mappa burl and cherry):

Here's his full website: http://www.thomaspafkdesign.com/index.html . The whole project will probably take him at least 6 months. Which leaves me plenty of time to confer with the Brotherhood! I'd greatly appreciate everyone's input on the following:

1. My hope is that this becomes a true family heirloom. So, "yay or nay" on the BOTL theme? Is it tacky? (please vote!)

2. I'm not sure if this artisan has ever built a humi before. When I sit down with him next week, what are some practical concerns he needs to know about for this build (e.g., is there a specific type of airtight joint he should be using? How does one achieve a tight door seal?)

3. Anything else that comes to mind?

Much obliged fellas...looking forward to sharing the progress of this project!

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
1. I wouldn't do the botl on such a piece.
2. He would have to do some research on that as I don't know. This piece does not look or sound inexpensive. If you're dropping that kind of money, why didn't you go to a humidor builder?

3. Whatever you're thinking, is to small. If you truly want an heirloom piece you will not replace, it should be much bigger so you don't outgrow it soon.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
The final product would probably have to be a bit larger then...gonna research this today. Thanks. (y)
It would have to be bigger, but, with a wood humidor, for the most part, they leak. A wineador, as long as the door seal is good, would be your best option. But then again, this is all a matter of opinion.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
It would have to be bigger, but, with a wood humidor, for the most part, they leak. A wineador, as long as the door seal is good, would be your best option. But then again, this is all a matter of opinion.
I haven't found the leaking part to be always true, especially in nicer ones.

If you don't need temperature control and money is less of an issue, I would always prefer a well made piece of furniture.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I haven't found the leaking part to be always true, especially in nicer ones.

If you don't need temperature control and money is less of an issue, I would always prefer a well made piece of furniture.
This is all subjective of course, and the opinion of someone who lives in Texas, therefore, needing the temperature control

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Unless the guy makes walk in humidors, by the six months he takes to build it you will want a bigger one.

Now, if you want family heirloom, i would not go for any logo. Perhaps family crest?

As for airtight, a good woodworker should have ideas. But why not have a humidor artisan work on it?

Anything else? Ensure the wood selection is compatible with cigar keeping. A non smoker artiste will be tempted to get better looking wood... no good.

In the end its your choice.
But I would get a wineador instead. You can customize it.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Personally, when I think of a family heirloom I don't think of a large piece of furniture. Yes, I've seen it, but again not my idea of a heirloom. I think of a piece more readily "passed" on. Suppose those that you're looking to pass it on to are not into the hobby? So I think a smaller piece would be in order for that purpose; like a 200 - 300 count at most. More of a decorative show piece, while still functional. A piece that anyone wouldn't mind putting on the coffee table, desk.
And as @herfdog said, for an heirloom, the logo should be something associated with your family.
Now as a homage piece, I would get permission to use the actual logo from BOTL to be incorporated into the design.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
If I were gong to spend that kind of money, I would not want it to be the first humidor someone had built. I'd go with someone that is familiar with building heirloom quality humidors like Bob Stabilll Aristocrat humidors.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
lots of good info in the posts above..

I'd also consider the design... if you go with something with as many external drawers as depicted.. that is just that many more seals that have to be perfect, etc.. I would consider 1 or 2 large(r) doors that seal the unit.. and then have internal drawers like you see on wineadors and other humidors..

Also agree with the comments about finding a craftsman that specializes in humidors..

While I am sure any highly qualified carpenter that does cabinets/furniture for a living can figure it all out for you... Why pay that kind of money for someone to execute an experiment or use you as a guinea pig?

There are several humidor craftsmen out there that can build what you describe, in the manner you describe.. where you would know going in that the quality of the product is going to be superior.. and no mistakes will be made.. ("figuring it out" leaves quite a bit of room for minor errors or mistakes that neither you or the craftsman may even be aware of)..

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Smoqman knows a woodcraftsman that has done work for several BOTL. His work has been posted somewhere on this site. It is beautiful work. I would get in touch with Smoqman and have a chat with his guy before you pull the trigger.
The craftsman is John Nelson. This is his email address and his work looks VERY nice and his communication with what is going on with your order is outstanding!

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Well after that post id say zippogeek is all in at botl! ;)

I would recommend looking into someone like this guy http://www.botl.org/threads/get-your-shelves-and-drawers-here.75090/ But, If that guy you found is a master craftsmen I'm sure he knows what he's doing.
My family was in the antiques business. Grandma claimed she made money from it but it was more of an excuse to collect everything hahah We have several large pieces of furniture that were passed down. My favorite is an old letter desk kinda like this one http://www.laurelcrown.com/blog/antique-reproduction-furniture/home-office/ but its probally 80-100 years old hand crafted with tongue and grove fittings. It also has claw feet. I grew up around this piece from the day I was born and I'm proud to say its at my parents house and will be mine one day. We also have a very large dining room set and curio cabinet at my fathers that will probably be passed down if I have the space when its time. For me these large pieces are very nice to have in the family and I have always had a soft spot for them so I would love to have them one day. I really like the roycraft style. It's a throw back to early Americana, but almost modernized all in one. That piece you posted is beautiful. Does your family have a family crest? That might be worth looking into. If not the botl would be cool. It says hey this is ment to be shared amongst friends. Kinda reminds me of the bat signal!

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I want this artisan and not a humidor-specific builder because I'm very partial to the Roycroft style for this heirloom. It's a big part of our local (and world) history, and I've always loved it. At the risk of sounding like a snob...this guy is a world-class master wood-worker with decades of experience building precise pieces of art. I'm not concerned about his ability to fabricate a humi, but at the same time I'm not ignorant of practical concerns (e.g., how airtight he can make it).

Upon further review, I wouldn't mind a wineador - but I don't really have temperature concerns. And I'm thinking I need to keep this piece reasonably-sized for my application and budget. I *rarely* buy a box, and I have a 300-count right now that's plenty for my needs. Sure, I'd love to make it a huge cabinet for future growth. But this level of craftsmanship and detail on such a large scale (there I go sounding like a snob again! :cautious:) would be waaay too expensive. Like, "new compact car" expensive! :eek: :greedy:

Hopefully that clears up a few things. If you guys think I'm crazy :confused: , or going about this the wrong way, feel free to let me know!!

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Any master craftsman should be able to craft a humidor with enough research. Might be worth it to pay someone who does this for a living a small fee for a consult.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Zipp, Id stay the route your going without the BOTL part. Especially when ur talking heirloom quality.
Heirloom size is a matter of opinion. I have pieces that can fit on a desk, as well as pieces 7' tall that are family pieces. If the people you will hand it down to want it, they will figure out space.
Only things I would offer to add to your builder is to use good spanish cedar for lining. And create the piece with the expectation of the wood expanding and contracting during seasonal changes in NY.
Pieces not designed for cigars are jointed for tightness figuring on the wood drying. This however will be a piece that maintains moisture year round and will be part of the equation.
Other than that, good luck. Look forward to hearing how this goes.