What's new

Did your favorite cigar of 2010 make Cigar Aficionado's Top 10?

Did your favorite cigar of 2010 make Cigar Aficionado's Top 10?

• Cohiba Behike BHK 52 - Cuba

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Viaje Oro Reserva VOR no 5

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Opus Fuente Fuente XXX Belicoso

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Padron Family Reserve no 45 natural

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Camacho Corojo Churchill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amor Magnifico

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Illusione Epernay Le Matin

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • E.P. Carrillo Elencos Edicion Limitada 2010

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • H. Upmann No 2 - Cuba

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LFD Air Bender Chisel

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • No! _______ should have been on this list. (See My Post)

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • Who cares what Cigar Aficionado thinks

Votes: 45 45.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
Screwed that up. Thought it said one of your favs. Revised answer is no. The PCR didnt make the list. But it did on brooks list:)

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
LP T52, Dirty Rat, and Tat 7th Reserva would both rank highly on mine. A lot of what's on CA's list I haven't smoke so maybe it would have it on mine too :dunno:. The two I have smoked though were okay...I'd like to see what comprises the rest of the Top 25.

Dan

thebayratt

Satori's Dad "NTA_Shawn"
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
No! Viaje Satori Zen should have been on this list. (See My Post)
Who cares what Cigar Aficionado thinks

Obviously they can get ahold of a CC (that throws one heck of a party for its release), but can't get ahold of a LE Viaje with 150 boxes made..... GOOD! They don't deserve to smoke a awesome cigar such as the Satori. Snobs

I like moist of thier choices on the top 10. Don't agree with thier spot on the top 25. But then again, I don't publish a magazine that caters to people who drive Ferraris and wear $3000 watches.
~This year, my money is going to Cigar Snob Magazine~

e-man67

Benny Hill's Understudy
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Behike is the stand out cigar of the year..nothing has that sweet tea flavor..very unique..is it my favorite? No, but the stand out along with the RA german beli.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Well, there are many reasons I dislike C.A. but the main ones are this:

1) They don't review Liga Privada at all. The T52 is #1, baby!
2) They (allegedly) only smoke one inch of the cigars they review. That's like giving the final report on the Superbowl after the first quarter.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I think satori's can still be found relatively easily. There were 150 boxes of each of the 3 sizes made so for one of Andre's releases the was quite a large one. I didn't find the satori to be one of viaje's better releases this year. Preferred skull and bones, DES, summerfest robos, holiday blend, both reserva's and the exclusivo jar release.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
No! Viaje Satori Zen should have been on this list. (See My Post)
Who cares what Cigar Aficionado thinks

Obviously they can get ahold of a CC (that throws one heck of a party for its release), but can't get ahold of a LE Viaje with 150 boxes made..... GOOD! They don't deserve to smoke a awesome cigar such as the Satori. Snobs

I like moist of thier choices on the top 10. Don't agree with thier spot on the top 25. But then again, I don't publish a magazine that caters to people who drive Ferraris and wear $3000 watches.
~This year, my money is going to Cigar Snob Magazine~
They got ahold of the Viaje Oro Reserva ... enough of them to rank it #2. I'd say that's pretty good for the Viaje fans. And as we discussed in the other thread, I think it's VERY rare that C.A. ranks a cigar of such a limited run as the Reservas were, so they made a special exception to get the Viaje name out there.

e-man67

Benny Hill's Understudy
Rating - 100%
48   0   0

2) They (allegedly) only smoke one inch of the cigars they review. That's like giving the final report on the Superbowl after the first quarter.
Really? the 52? I think NC would be the dirty rat..those are so different than the regular 9. I didn't care for th 52..LP that is.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0

Hate to say this out loud but I have given up on hating the fact that they only smoke 1" of a cigar. To come up with a top 25 list I am guessing you would have to smoke at least the 50 finalists, now you don't want to burn out your pallette buy smoking 5 cigars a day while trying to judge. Unfortunately I think that just in order to give a enough cigars a shot and be kinda fair they can't smoke much more. Brook's doesnt have pretend to be fair by trying a Comacho or any other rocket that may make it into 11 to 25. If it your fourth cigar of the day trying to smoke through the bunch you have to it may even seem good. Also in thier attempts to be fair they redmond every cigar. The rest of us can go off the one or 2 we may have tried earlier in the year. In the end it is job I would never want.

And back to my quote from last year. You can tell a good cigar within the first inch, you will know a great cigar when it burns your fingers.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Hate to say this out loud but I have given up on hating the fact that they only smoke 1" of a cigar. To come up with a top 25 list I am guessing you would have to smoke at least the 50 finalists, now you don't want to burn out your pallette buy smoking 5 cigars a day while trying to judge. Unfortunately I think that just in order to give a enough cigars a shot and be kinda fair they can't smoke much more. Brook's doesnt have pretend to be fair by trying a Comacho or any other rocket that may make it into 11 to 25. If it your fourth cigar of the day trying to smoke through the bunch you have to it may even seem good. Also in thier attempts to be fair they redmond every cigar. The rest of us can go off the one or 2 we may have tried earlier in the year. In the end it is job I would never want.

And back to my quote from last year. You can tell a good cigar within the first inch, you will know a great cigar when it burns your fingers.
I like that quote too, but I have to disagree on C.A.'s one inch thing. Just get a bigger test panel for the initial 50 cigars, and once the larger panel agrees on 25, a smaller panel can all smoke them to determine the order.

But only smoking an inch of the cigar is just insane to me. How many fresh Cubans taste okay for the first third then turn to sour mash after that, just for one example?

What's to stop a cigar maker from putting some extra-good quality leaf in the first third of a cigar ONLY, to get good ratings and therefor higher sales? (And yes, I think CA does equal higher sales, hence the huge advertising. People will buy based on those numbers alone. That's why it's all a big deal imvho, morso than if they are right or wrong).

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Think their goal is to have the same panel smoke all the same cigars. Biggest thing unfortunately CA is not an enthusiasts magazine but one more for the masses. It goes with selling subscriptions. I am not saying I agree with their methods only that I understand them in the context they are in. I agree that you will never find the greatest cigars this way but can pound through the most cigars this way. If you look at what the #'s of cigars smoked in Mike's thread you would see that even inour enthsuiasts board most would have a tough time smoking enough cigars to get through the top 25 in a reasonable time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I voted who cares what CA thinks. I don't smoke that much top shelf stuff so i haven't even tried one of the top ten cigars. you just have to smoke what you like and leave what you dont like behind. this year top cigar is a tie between alec bradly SCR or Joyo de nicaragua celebration.