What's new

Did your favorite cigar of 2010 make Cigar Aficionado's Top 10?

Did your favorite cigar of 2010 make Cigar Aficionado's Top 10?

• Cohiba Behike BHK 52 - Cuba

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Viaje Oro Reserva VOR no 5

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Opus Fuente Fuente XXX Belicoso

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Padron Family Reserve no 45 natural

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Camacho Corojo Churchill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amor Magnifico

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Illusione Epernay Le Matin

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • E.P. Carrillo Elencos Edicion Limitada 2010

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • H. Upmann No 2 - Cuba

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LFD Air Bender Chisel

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • No! _______ should have been on this list. (See My Post)

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • Who cares what Cigar Aficionado thinks

Votes: 45 45.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I want to see the Padron 44th on the list. At least in the top 25. Preferably the natty even though every other Padron i smoke is a Maddie.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well, there are many reasons I dislike C.A. but the main ones are this:

1) They don't review Liga Privada at all. The T52 is #1, baby!
2) They (allegedly) only smoke one inch of the cigars they review. That's like giving the final report on the Superbowl after the first quarter.
You saying you don't like CA because they don't rate Ligas is is straight up false. I'm sorry but you need to look a little further before making statements like that. Look we all have different tastes. You like Ligas while I haven't found one that does much for me including Dirty Rats etc... I don't agree with all their ratings but can't say I hate them just like I don't agree with all Brooks ratings but you don't see me saying I hate SmokingStogie because Brooks hasn't rated "X" cigar.

BTW I did a little research to show you that they do rate Ligas. Following are the sticks they rated in the last 2 years. Now you can't hate them for not rating them but you can dislike the scores which is definitely your right.

Liga Privada No. 9
Corona Doble: 89 (Feb. 2009)
Robusto: 88 (Dec. 2008)
Belicoso: 89 (April 2009)

Liga Privada T52
Robusto: 88 (Feb. 2010)
Toro: 88 (April 2010)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
CA no likey Liga Privada... <shrug> But I must admit I am mystified by their continual 88 for the line. And no rating on the Dirty Rat yet... I am betting it gets an 88... :>

Lucky for us our company has been built on smokers and not ratings. I'd much rather have legions of true blue cigar smokers who love our products and recommend them one conversation at a time than the flash in the pan sales that result from getting a super high score - think of all the 93+ cigars that have come and gone.

Thanks for all the kind words!

BR,

Steve
Drew Estate, Prez

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The T52 should've been on there. It's damn good and, lo and behold, affordable??
"affordable" - wow, everyone has a bigger wallet than me!!! <lol>

We are always concerned about trying to keep the prices fair and I believe that the LP line is hitting that upper threshold of affordability for the typical premium cigar consumer.

One thing I have learned is that price/cost is always relative to the purchasing power of the buyer. For example, when I was an enlisted squid in the Navy, the most expensive cigar I could afford was Toppers. Maybe once a month I would splurge for a $2 La Gloria Cubana - yeah, LGC Churchill Maduros use to cost 2 bucks!

And price has such a big impact on people's perception. I could write ad naseum on this topic. But to cut to the chase, my universal belief when it comes to what is the correct price is based on two things:

1 - It allows for the manufacturer and distribution channel to make a reasonable profit so that the product's quality and customer support is sustainable long term.

2 - It delivers to the consumer a service, use or experience that they deem themselves deem as a good value for the price they paid.

If these two things are true, then the price is right imo.

BR,

Steve
Drew Estate, Prez

Last edited:

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Liga Privada put out some of the best cigars of the year, bar none, and I find it sad they are not on the CA list, esp when Camacho DID make the list (and while the Camacho may be good (I don't know, I have not tried it) I find it hard to believe it could be better then a Dirty Rat or T-52...

**shrug**

~brooks

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
T-52 is a good stick, but there are many sticks that could have made the list but didn't that are as good or better than a T52 IMO. We all know it's a fucked up list, but it's their list, just like yours is yours and so on. It is curious though, you haven't smoked the Camacho but still think the T52 should still be rated instead of it, maybe smoke the Camacho and see why it made the list, then criticize after. Would like to see a review on it. :) Actually what would be cool is for you to smoke the top 25 and see what your opinion is compared to theirs and post, that would be a good read. It gives the readers of your site and CA an opportunity to see where some of your differences will lie in relation to CA.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
T-52 is a good stick, but there are many sticks that could have made the list but didn't that are as good or better than a T52 IMO. We all know it's a fucked up list, but it's their list, just like yours is yours and so on. It is curious though, you haven't smoked the Camacho but still think the T52 should still be rated instead of it, maybe smoke the Camacho and see why it made the list, then criticize after. Would like to see a review on it. :) Actually what would be cool is for you to smoke the top 25 and see what your opinion is compared to theirs and post, that would be a good read. It gives the readers of your site and CA an opportunity to see where some of your differences will lie in relation to CA.
Well, as I said, I have not smoked the Camacho, but I find it hard to believe it is better then the T-52 to my tastes...

**shrug**

Interesting idea about smoking the Top 25, may have to look into that :)

~brooks

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You think the Camacho that made the cut is a better cigar then the T-52 or the Dirty Rat?
Haven't tried the Camacho but if I go by the ones I have smoked I'm sure I'll dislike it.

My point wasn't whether the Dirty Rat or T-52 are better which they probably are even if they don't do much for me personally. My point was Steve complaining his sticks all get an 88 sounds like he's bitter about it to me.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Yeah. I may be the only one that actually appreciates the fact that he is bitter. I love the fact that he is passionate about what he does and his belief that he is putting out the best product he can. I also like the fact that he is willing to come here and tell us his thoughts. People have had issues with Pete coming in and defending his products as well, I am a big fan of the passion these guys put into their work and actually like the fact that they are willing to stand behind their products. Now that said I am not a very big fan of Liga products so they would not have made my top 25 list but many have chimed in that it was there top cigar. I don't think anyone here would agree 100% with my list but that is half the fun.
Posted via Mobile Device