What's new

DIY Cabinet Conversion (making a cabinet from a small chest).

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I might just throw my 20 year old old faithful hygrometer in there for a day and keep checking to see what it looks like.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Just curious because we have some pretty high outside humidity in SE Louisiana but with the AC running all summer I'm reading 56% inside. There's a lot of wood in your chest so I hope those Bovedas equalize it for you. I think they'll do a good job maintaining but they may need a bit of help to get started.
I spent a big part of my childhood in in Morgan City. My dad’s family is from there, almost everyone is in NOLA now though.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Just curious because we have some pretty high outside humidity in SE Louisiana but with the AC running all summer I'm reading 56% inside. There's a lot of wood in your chest so I hope those Bovedas equalize it for you. I think they'll do a good job maintaining but they may need a bit of help to get started.
I got lucky 65% in the house all Summer.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My mother was born and raised in Morgan City. Many fond memories visiting my grandparents in Morgan City and fishing in Lake Palourde

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Take your time it may take a couple of weeks. If you are going to fill it to the brim with properly humidified cigars and boxes it would happen quicker but if you can only do several boxes at first you should have it stable before loading. Good luck and remember patience is a virtue.

Rating - 100%
157   0   0
View attachment 119921 So I've wanted a cabinet for years. Looking around for a piece of furniture that might be easily converted, saving all of my empty boxes sto store loose sticks in. Well, my son is due to arrive September 3rd, and the wife and I were cleaning today to prepare for the new baby, and I saw this antique chest at the foot of our bed. I opened the doors and they were 1.75 inches thick and closed into an inlay creating a tight seal. The gears started turning. I said "would you like to make me the happiest husband ever?" She said YES! New Cabinet de Corojo! with it sealed so tight, I think the work to convert it should be minimal and a true labor of love! Cant wait to start filling this bad boy up. Would show picks of the inside but it is filled with 100 purses.
View attachment 119922 View attachment 119924
I figure it will hold 20 or so boxes! I’m so happy!
Tagging this thread for future updates.... Looks great Lee!
Good Luck!

Lunchbox

Gettin back into the game
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tuning in here but this is a very creative idea. I agree with whoever said that finding a decent piece of furniture to do this with (for the rest of us - that’s a nice chest) will either be difficult or expensive, but it could absolutely be worth it. I’m pumped to see how this works out! :pompous:

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Take your time it may take a couple of weeks. If you are going to fill it to the brim with properly humidified cigars and boxes it would happen quicker but if you can only do several boxes at first you should have it stable before loading. Good luck and remember patience is a virtue.
It is going to be a slow build up for sure. I'll basically be adding 1-2 boxes per month. Slow and steady.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Easy to line with cedar planks. Worth it as it holds the humidity better.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Easy to line with cedar planks. Worth it as it holds the humidity better.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I may do so, been looking around at prices. Mother in law will be here for a few weeks after the baby comes, promised my wife I wouldn't add any wood to the box until after her mom left, as she gave it to us, lol!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
3F9B6369-22A4-4C2E-BBBE-91E66FFD64B4.jpeg
Been locked at 65 for nearly 2 days may need to add more water; I like to smoke my cigars at 65-68% but I want to store them at 69-70%
Waiting for the digital hygrometer to arrive.