What's new

DIY Cabinet Conversion (making a cabinet from a small chest).

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
6E9368E0-E14D-4316-93EA-86A8D3D3D21C.jpeg So I've wanted a cabinet for years. Looking around for a piece of furniture that might be easily converted, saving all of my empty boxes sto store loose sticks in. Well, my son is due to arrive September 3rd, and the wife and I were cleaning today to prepare for the new baby, and I saw this antique chest at the foot of our bed. I opened the doors and they were 1.75 inches thick and closed into an inlay creating a tight seal. The gears started turning. I said "would you like to make me the happiest husband ever?" She said YES! New Cabinet de Corojo! with it sealed so tight, I think the work to convert it should be minimal and a true labor of love! Cant wait to start filling this bad boy up. Would show picks of the inside but it is filled with 100 purses.
66ECC478-3830-4588-BCF8-88967258535B.jpeg 9C1C5657-9616-46C3-9F80-C5F321F72C9C.jpeg
I figure it will hold 20 or so boxes! I’m so happy!

Attachments

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Keep us posted, I can't wait to see it. I too would like to do something like this. Now to just find the right cabinet...

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Looks like hinges on the top. Does it open and expose the inside of cabinet? Like suggested stick a bright light in it and see if you have light coming through. This will give you a pretty good idea where to use food grade silicon. After sealing up any areas needed I would see if it would even hold RH before doing anything else. Good luck with the project. Always nice to see old furniture being used for other things.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
As long as the wood doesn't give off any funny smells (varnish, paint, rosin, etc) then I'd imagine the boxes will be more thant enough cedar to do the job.. Looks like it'll make for a nice cabinet. Even enough room in top for a couple winos!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Nothing wrong with light oakiness! Don't forget if you have trouble sealing the new humidor you can always store the boxes in double or triple ziplocks and Bovedas. That's what I do with boxes that do not fit in my tupperdors stored in my fridgedoor. The ziplocks also allow you to store boxes at different humidities. Lower humidity for CCs or extended dry boxing. If you are not looking for the "wow" factor it's a practical solution.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Quality post alert:

So have you tried any of the tricks to see if its airtight? I saw someone used a powerful flashlight to see if any light leaked anywhere. Something you could try after you get it emptied.

What does the inside wood look like? Plan on doing any cedar linings?
Solid 8/10.
You're interest came across as genuine. Really made me believe you want to know more. Good post. I'd say you're 1 post closer for sure.
:hilarious:

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm doing some research; and I have a life long friend who built cabinets for nearly 20 years and is a cigar lover (who built his own walk-in). I'm thinking it might be easier than I was thinking with this piece the walls are 1.5 inches thick and the doors are 1.75 and close into a lip. I just have to make sure I can get a good seal on the doors and lid. Think I'll start with the big Bovedas, and see how those work. See how it holds.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
For me form always follows function.
You should be able to get it to function fine with minimal expense, especially if you have a cabinet builder helping you!!! I’m interested in seeing the finished product. Hell, worse comes to worse, you can put the boxes in a cheap Tupperware with bovedas inside, & put that inside the cabinet.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You should be able to get it to function fine with minimal expense, especially if you have a cabinet builder helping you!!! I’m interested in seeing the finished product. Hell, worse comes to worse, you can put the boxes in a cheap Tupperware with bovedas inside, & put that inside the cabinet.
The boxes will take a little while to build up, got a baby due September 3rd, but I’m patient. Been wanting a nice aging cabinet for like 13 years. I’m friggin excited!