What's new

Do you ever save a cigar to relight later? + LONG ASS STORY

Coincrazed

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is a question I'm extremely curious about guys....... And here's the TLDR: Do you or have you ever smoked part of a stick, let it go out, and then smoke the rest later? If so, what did you think?

So for This question...... I just had to include a backstory as to why I'm even asking this.

I learned when I first started smoking cigars at 18, that you're never supposed to relight a cigar that has gone out longer than 30 minutes. (I'm still a firm believer in this)

Cue my close friend, two years later. I moved in with said friend and I learned he was a frequent cigar smoker, so we started smoking together. I quickly realized my friend had some peculiar smoking habits...... First, when lighting the stick he would literally take the lighter, match, torch, whatever flame we were using, and stick the foot into the flame, puff aggressively, and light the stick in less than 5 seconds. I would cringe, CRINGE, as I watched him scorch the foot of the cigar with direct flame. I'm honestly surprised he even used a cigar cutter instead of his teeth! Lol. So when I would sit down and start toasting the foot, he would constantly rib me saying that "toasting is gay", "a cigar is a cigar", "just light the fucking thing and don't play with it." he would say. I would still toast in spite of his ribbing, and clapped him back with an analogy comparing torching a stick in his fashion to burning a premium steak.

Second thing my friend would do that really got on my nerves was that he would rave about the brand Quorum and get annoyed when I would voice my opinion on the brand..... I'm sorry if there's any Quorum fans/smokers here, but I have smoked my share of Quorum Shades and Maduros that my friend would buy. They are garbage. Not even worthy as dog rockets imo. They taste like burning cardboard. My absolute least favorite cigar.

Ok, so finally, the thing that my friend did that would absolutely and completely irk me, and the reason why I'm posting this in the first place, was that he would smoke half a stick, let it go out, and smoke the rest the next morning. When he first told me that he would do this, I totally laughed in his face. I'm not even gonna lie. But he swore to me that the relit smoke tasted just fine and he couldn't tell, sometimes the relight actually tastes better, you should try it, blah blah blah. I had never relit a smoke hours later before, nor did I buy his story of them tasting better..... But one day, I woke up hungover as fuck, and my friend coerced me to smoke the last third of the cigar I smoked the night before. I did so and it was bad. It tasted really bad. But the booze from the night before and my intense nicotine cravings made me smoke the rest. I actually did this a number of times over the Summer of 2015 cause we were both super broke at the time and sometimes I didn't always have money for my cigarettes. Anyways, since I have done this a handful of times, I have never had a smoke actually taste better. Most of the times I did it they tasted really awful, but a few times the off flavor was only very subtle and "ashy" tasting. So if you read this far, thanks for reading my rambling, and sorry I made this so long. Lol.

And btw, in conclusion guys, as much as I talk shit and laugh about my friend and his retarded smoking habits, we're still buddies to this day and I still send him sticks to try every so often.......

John
CC

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once or twice. First one was a RyJ short churchill when I didn't know any better, second one (that I remember) was a Toscano, when I didn't care anymore. In either case, nothing super-bad happened.

The biggest problem I see with this, personally, is where to store the half-lit cigar. The stench is strong, as you have no doubt noted, so unless I can find a good spot to store it outside the house, it's not going to get re-lit.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I had a cigar a couple nights ago, its in the ashtray and it smells awful, I can't imagine how it would taste. To me, a great cigar is like sex with a LA 9: it leaves you feeling very satisfied, you're happy with the decisions you've made to get you to this moment, and you cant wait for the next opportunity. A bad cigar is like sex with a fat chick: you're not necessarily proud of what you're doing, you won't be telling your friends about it, but damnit sometimes the job needs to get done. But relighting a cigar the next day? This is like that same fat chick, but only years later and now she really let herself go, can no longer give a halfway decent beej and let her personal hygiene really slide. You wonder things like: "WTF am I doing with my life," "how did I ever think this was a good idea" and "omg why did I put my mouth on that, I need to wash my mouth with Clorox bleach."

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I had a cigar a couple nights ago, its in the ashtray and it smells awful, I can't imagine how it would taste. To me, a great cigar is like sex with a LA 9: it leaves you feeling very satisfied, your happy with the decisions you've made to get you to this moment, and you cant wait for the next opportunity. A bad cigar is like sex with a fat chick: you're not necessarily proud of what you're doing, you won't be telling your friends about it, but damnit sometimes the job needs to get done. But relighting a cigar the next day? This is like that same fat chick, but only years later and now she really let herself go, can no longer give a halfway decent beej and let her personal hygiene really slide. You wonder things like: "WTF am I doing with my life," "how did I ever think this was a good idea" and "omg why did I put my mouth on that, I need to wash my mouth with Clorox bleach."
That post is wonderful and awful at the same time.

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
I've never really been interested in doing it myself, as I would just rather light up a new one. I do know folks who practice this by clipping a good half inch or so behind the burning tobacco if they're planning on revisiting it within a few hours. One of the regulars at a shop I frequented in Florida would smoke 60 RG Asylums all the time and clip it, go workout and come back and light it up again. Just never seemed worth it to me, but he went with the larger cigars for more time for his buck. So I just assumed this played into the budget/cheapo mentality.

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I tried to save a cigar once and only once. My friend and I went to a concert and I tried to save half of a Churchill I was smoking. Clipped it and dropped it back in the tubo. Opened it the next day and it took 3 days to get the damn smell out of the house....

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have been know to cut off the burned foot, put the stick back in cellophane, twist it hard, and go at its later the same day. I also moisten the wrapper with saliva before relighting. Call me cheap, but I have done this a couple of time in the last year and am still alive. :cigar:

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I had a friend that did the same thing. He would take his cutter and cut about a half inch back from where the ash was. I did this a couple of times when I first started smoking cigars. It didn't take long for me to decide, I'd rather not smoke than smoke one that had been out for a while. Cigar smoking should be a pleasant experience and not something to suffer through because the cigar tastes like an old wet ashtray.