What's new

Do you use a cigar poker?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
MR. Pengy is one talented ^%$&* :oops: I'd be in for a poker if he started makin them!! I love his pens, but have held back , I know if I got one either my wife or daughter would steal it and loose it within a week :D

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I've heard of it but I don't see myself getting one. I think I'm going to stay loyal to Habanos Torres. Never have a problem with one of Tim'ss cigars.

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
coma said:
MR. Pengy is one talented ^%$&* :oops: I'd be in for a poker if he started makin them!! I love his pens, but have held back , I know if I got one either my wife or daughter would steal it and loose it within a week :D
Mr. Penguin dude...I would love to see your work and would like to know if you ever make a poker.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Just caught this thread. This is the most frustrating past of cigar smoking to me. Found 12 inch long very small diameter drill bit at a local gun show. Not sure what they are used for but was a couple of bucks and worked great. Drill a little and a slight knock the dust falls out leaving a clear passage.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Less than you would think. You roll the bit in your hand and it bites giving you direction. Every time I tried a skewer, I ran it through the side. The pokers are great but I'm too cheap.

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
ahhhh...so you spin it by hand and it doesn't take much effort to turn it? How far do you drill in?

Would a better word for this be twist instead of drill? nm.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I confess, I tried it with a cordless drill and ruined one cigar. Yeah twist by hand. Depends on the size of the cigar. Couple of inches, then test etc. I was able to smoke a beautiful 98 H. Upmann Monarch. Had to go in half way. It never leaves the cigar the same and purists would not be happy but an Upmann is an Upmann.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Another option is to buy a box of paper clips from the store. The big kind. Open them up all the way and poke away. I've tried this to good results. Gets ya a clear cigar if it's not plugged more than a couple inches in. If it is, and you draw on your cigar pre-light, then just poke the other side too.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I've come across a problem I am having with a box of RyJ Herm.#2's. They are all tight as can be with no way to fight through it. Since these are pretty expensive cigars I'd rather not trash them.

I've tried the skewer method, on another cigar and that seemed to work well until I noticed that I was cracking the wrapper. I think the diameter of the skewer is a little thick. I'm looking for a legit cigar poker that is priced right. I don't need the fancy cigar look-a-like poker. What else is available? As you could imagine it's a real tough web search when you type in "cigar poker"! Thanks.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I am having an issue with an expensive double corona, so I saved it. I am looking at poker options as well. I think a bamboo skewer is the cheapest way to go as a start. I have tossed only a couple cigars from being plugged and tried too long and tossed a couple more. But would be nice to have a decent additional accessory. I heard of that site Cliff, pretty nice looking to go with the expensive price tag.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
$45 isn't that expensive when you consider spending $30 on a cutter and $80 on a good torch lighter :dunno:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
But how often will you use the poker?

How about a coat hanger straightened out?

I feel like there are a ton of other options that are much cheaper

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
But how often will you use the poker?

How about a coat hanger straightened out?

I feel like there are a ton of other options that are much cheaper
I was just going to post that, great point Tom. I use either the Palio or Xikar cutters. I use a cheaper Xikar torch in the car or the more expensive S.T. Dupont Xtend at home or at HERF's. But I would rarely use a poker, so the cost per stick usage factor is way down. Now I have an expensive stick that is severely plugged that I want to salvage is making me do something. A coat hanger, a bamboo skewer, I don't know. But willing to try something. I think I will try first on a cheap MM or a dog rocket as a sacrifice to try first before shoving a coat hanger into the DC stick that I want to smoke.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I'm telling you, a long slender drill bit. You pick them up at Home depot. Gently twist the bit into the cigar, tapping occasionally to release the tobacco dust. Test the draw. If necessary twist a little farther. I found a poker just shoved the tobacco around where the bit removed a tiny amount and let them smoke. Works great and because you are rolling the bit in, you have control versus pushing a sharp instrument.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
$45 for something I hope I never use compared to $100 lighter and $40 cutter I use everytime is not a fair comparison. I like the drillbit idea CW, I'll have to try it. Do you have a 1/16" or 3/32"?