What's new

Dude, plume doesn't grow through the cello!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I don't want to link to another forum but there is a good article based on several lab tests and the opportunity to earn a $250 store credit if you can provide a cigar that when tested by the lab has plume and not just some form of mold.

Cut & Paste, could learn something. I have some sticksthat the celo is brown like a bag, but the feet have tiny whitish powder, like some one rubbed a toothpick point of baking flour.

Most freshly rolled cigars give of fumes of ammonia, that is why they get aged, Friend who I have been on tour of factories in the DR, and Nicagraga. Have experience the smell of ammonia in aging area's.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mold forms on cigars for a lot of reasons. White mold (plume) is harmless but the cigar industry doesn't want to tell you that the white powder on their cigar is mold, so they call it "plume." Great marketing, eh?
It's ALWAYS mold. Wipe it off and enjoy the cigar.
Mold (Plume) has nothing to do with "cigar gasses."

Disclaimer: There may be a harmful form of white mold, but I don't know what it might be.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i think the quality of B&M counter dudes is a reflection of the pay. You get what you pay for, most people with a mind to become knowledgeable about something are going to be smart enough to work somewhere where they will get more then part time minimum wage and no benefits lol.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
09-13 I lived in the Hampton Roads area and Emersons was my B&M, it was great the workers knew their shit and I frequently overheard them properly educating customers. I could get into in depth conversations on origins of Tabbacco and blends.

I don't miss HR but I do miss having Emersons as my B&M.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I think there is a possibility it was residue from the humidifier. If they weren't using filtered water, but straight tap water, it will cover everything in a white powdery film. if it was only on a few sticks though that probably wasn't the issue. There was a B&M near me (now closed) that used tap water and the everything in the humidor was covered. Sticks, shelves, boxes. It was crazy.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think there is a possibility it was residue from the humidifier. If they weren't using filtered water, but straight tap water, it will cover everything in a white powdery film. if it was only on a few sticks though that probably wasn't the issue. There was a B&M near me (now closed) that used tap water and the everything in the humidor was covered. Sticks, shelves, boxes. It was crazy.
And all the cigars will have a metallic or chemical taste to them. It's pretty easy to tell a B&M that uses tap water in their humidifiers even if it isn't bad enough to leave residue on the cellos!

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Sorry bro, I've once prepared to light up and ended up sitting on the cigar.

I believe in plume (a rare occurence) but maybe there are crystally glittery forms of mold or powdery forms of mold that follow the veins of a wrapper leaf.

Lastly talking of mold. Would you accept a cigar from a retailer with any amount of mold on the foot? If so, what do you think of the amount in this pic?

Transmitted via my fairly new Samsung Galaxy S8+ on Korea's LG Uplus Mobile Network using Tapatalk App Installed & Auto-updated From Google Play Store

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
In my opinion, if I intended to put the cigar away for a couple of months in my humidors, no I wouldn't accept it. If I was going to burn it right there, sure why not, a small amount of white stuff doesn't hurt anything.

As far as the existence of plume, I don't know. There appears to be a lot of evidence that what people think is plume is some form of mold. I qualify as neither a cigar connoisseur nor a mycologist so it's not my call to make. But I do know that when a cigar is covered in something I normally find on a piece of rotted fruit it's probably mold.

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I'm no scientist and Im no expert in this department either but could it be similar to the cannabis plant and the oils that form crystals on the leafs?

Transmitted via my fairly new Samsung Galaxy S8+ on Korea's LG Uplus Mobile Network using Tapatalk App Installed & Auto-updated From Google Play Store

Coincrazed

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm no scientist and Im no expert in this department either but could it be similar to the cannabis plant and the oils that form crystals on the leafs?

Completely different. The "crystals" on the buds and leaves of the marijuana plant are called "trichomes", and they are naturally occuring on the growing plant. Those trichomes are essentially unactivated THC crystals. More visible trichomes means better, stronger bud.

"Plume" is supposedly a powdery substance that occurs on harvested and cured tobacco leaves, and it does not occur during the growing process.

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
In my opinion, if I intended to put the cigar away for a couple of months in my humidors, no I wouldn't accept it. If I was going to burn it right there, sure why not, a small amount of white stuff doesn't hurt anything.
Yeah I very rarely order then smoke. It must rest for some time. Furthermore when I look down into it I csn still see the mold, though I really cant see that far down.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well, actually I thought plume was the crystallization of the oils in the tobacco on the surface of the wrapper as a cigar ages and goes through cycles of subtle temperature and humidity changes. Kind of like salt building on your skin when you sweat.