What's new

Dude, plume doesn't grow through the cello!

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
This is one of the few cigars I've had that had what I thought was plume. While I know there are many strains of mold, this was completely different from the usual mold that I have experienced with cigars, from appearance to how it begins to appear.

Transmitted via my fairly new Samsung Galaxy S8+ on Korea's LG Uplus Mobile Network using Tapatalk App Installed & Auto-updated From Google Play Store

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Interesting, did it wipe off just like mold?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
This is all there was and I thought it was plume so I didn't try to wipe it off.

Transmitted via my fairly new Samsung Galaxy S8+ on Korea's LG Uplus Mobile Network using Tapatalk App Installed & Auto-updated From Google Play Store

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This is all there was and I thought it was plume so I didn't try to wipe it off.

Wondering if it was plume after all.. that is, if you didn't get sick after smoking it.

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Wondering if it was plume after all.. that is, if you didn't get sick after smoking it.

No sickness, it was an decent smoke but I noted it lacked something. And the band took a good chunk out of the wrapper and it started unraveling.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
No sickness, it was an decent smoke but I noted it lacked something. And the band took a good chunk out of the wrapper and it started unraveling.

Good to hear brother. Yeah, I admit I didn't care to much for that one. Sucks that it started to unraveling on you. It's really a pain, when you have to battle a wrapper.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
What about the crystalized buildup that some pipe tobacco gets? I'd imagine there is some degree of mineral buildup once oils start to dry after time..
I've got some old Stonehaven that has a LOT of crystals built up.. and it won't wipe off.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
https://www.st-group.com/en/about-our-tobacco/making-of-tobacco/cigars

I understand that pipe tobacco and cigar tobacco is handled differently. The main differences as I understand them is that cigar tobacco is "fermented" and pipe tobaccos are not. Pipe tobacco is also usually flavored. The question becomes is the "plume" found in an all natural leaf like cigar tobacco the same as the "plume" of a tobacco with added ingredients i.e. flavorings?

Maybe plume on pipe tobacco is closer to plume on flavored cigars instead of the natural oils of cigar tobacco?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm no expert on pipe tobacco but as I understand it pipe tobacco has additives for flavor. Many of the additives have sugars in them. Therefore sometimes crystals can be seen forming on pipe tobacco. Unflavored cigar tobacco is different. The white stuff on cigars is simply various types of mold or bacteria. Mold can be harmful depending on what type it is and how much you ingest. The common bacteria are not harmful. They are on everything and we are immune to them. Sometimes they multiply into visible amounts that look like dust and then we have the white residue on our cigars.

I have never seen any proof that tobacco oils will "crystallize" over time. I don't believe "plume" exists. If there is white stuff on your cigar, wipe it off and smoke it... but don't think you've got a great cigar because of it.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Does plume exist?
When I roll cigars I get a lot of the oils on my hands. Maybe I'll wipe some off and put it on the surface of a piece of leaf. This would create an excess of oils on the surface of the leaf. Then I'll put it in my humidor for a few month or years. My bet is that there will never be a crystallized plume on the leaf. Anyone else want to try?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've seen the videos of some of those guys rolling cigars, no telling what's on their hands that could eventually crystalize into what appears to be plume. Sweat, natural oils from their hands, lunch? I'm interested to see if anyone can provide a cigar to be tested that embodies the classic definition of plume?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You're quite the expert Bruce, at least your post would suggest so.
It's hard to determine sarcasm in a post but please note that I said that I don't "believe" that plume exists. Just stating what I believe. What I do know for sure is that I have never seen a cigar with anything that could be described as plume. I've seen lots of different molds and other various growths but never the elusive crystallized oils. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that I've never seen it and have never read any proof that it exists other than people saying it does.

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
After doing some reading and taking a look at some images and scouring google for images, I will admit that there is a chance it does not exist. Maybe I need to recenter myself on this one and wait to see more newly found evidence and which way that evidence leans. Boudie thanks for the reference.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm no expert on pipe tobacco but as I understand it pipe tobacco has additives for flavor. Many of the additives have sugars in them. Therefore sometimes crystals can be seen forming on pipe tobacco. Unflavored cigar tobacco is different. The white stuff on cigars is simply various types of mold or bacteria. Mold can be harmful depending on what type it is and how much you ingest. The common bacteria are not harmful. They are on everything and we are immune to them. Sometimes they multiply into visible amounts that look like dust and then we have the white residue on our cigars.

I have never seen any proof that tobacco oils will "crystallize" over time. I don't believe "plume" exists. If there is white stuff on your cigar, wipe it off and smoke it... but don't think you've got a great cigar because of it.
I would have to disagree. I have smoked a 20 year old punch that looked like it had diamonds covering portions of the wrapper.
FACD0E96-9950-4933-A89C-A61CC477A4C6.jpeg
I have some more in my wineador. I will take some pics tomorrow. I don’t know about the plume but it seems like the oils did crystallize.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would have to disagree. I have smoked a 20 year old punch that looked like it had diamonds covering portions of the wrapper.
View attachment 111860
I have some more in my wineador. I will take some pics tomorrow. I don’t know about the plume but it seems like the oils did crystallize.
The fact that the Punch has a gold/brass colored band presents the possibility that the "diamonds" you see are actually flaking from the band.