njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Crazy thing is T,

That shit tastes Good! *lol*
lol, I agree!

Okay, for the record I think this is what's up:

the original boxed RP OWRs were not dyed, at least not the ones I have. But the bundled OWRs are dyed (I got some from Thompson's ... yea, they looked like they were dipped in it!). But there was absolutely no taste difference between the two.

Tobacco dye is tasteless and won't effect the burn or quality of the cigar in the slightest as far as I understand it.

And for the record, I love the OWR maduro! Feel free to PM me if you want to dispose of any :)

kmckinn3

Learning from the best
Rating - 100%
117   0   1
The experiment:

Was gifted this cigar yesterday and decided to do a little test.

I wet my finger and made a mark on the cigar.

I grabbed a tissue and did one swipe.

I haven't done this with any other cigar but I assume this isn't normal...

NJStone- Thanks for the info. It helps a little knowing the dye is natural and made from the tobacco plant itself... but it still kinda freaks me out.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
probably not fair to focus only on RPs... Looks like a lot of companies are doing this. Anyone have a drac to test?

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
NJStone- Thanks for the info. It helps a little knowing the dye is natural and made from the tobacco plant itself... but it still kinda freaks me out.
I agree, I don't like it either and wish nobody would do it. But people like the look of "perfection," which most people assume translates to uniformity of wrapper color. Sometimes it does--check out the wrapper on the Liga Privada T-52, it's a thing of pure beauty (not dyed).

But does a nicer LOOKING wrapper mean a better tasting cigar? Most people think so--but people are idiots.

My understanding (which is very limited, so please correct me here) is that the natural fermentation process that maduros go through tends to leave a mottled dark brown or black appearance more often than a uniform one. For example, check out the wrappers on the original OWR maduro or any of the LFD Oscuro sticks--they have a very mottled look to them. I personally don't think this looks bad (does wood look bad because of it's grain? NO! The irregularity is what makes wood beautiful).

But apparently the industry feels that people want uniformity of color, so they dye the cigars. I think it's dumb.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
well, we buy the cigars... so why don't WE tell them to stop dying the damn things? :)
Great idea! Next time I find a dyed cigar, I'll email the manufacturer and tell them to cut it out. Most manufacturers actually do pay attention to buyer feedback.

stephen_hannibal

stephen_hannibal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This entire thread is freaking me out!!!!
Omg I like cigars but has marketing and product pushing really affected everything.
RPs do look extremely good but looks ain't everything... I mean look at Tat or Padilla.
Some of those sticks look like dried dog sh*t but they taste wonderful.

I wish more companies would focus on quality and cost rather than appearance.
I'll buy a hundred sticks with uneven burns and cosmetic flaws if it tastes good.
But if all a stick offers is a look and doesn't have the taste to back it up then I'll pass more often than not.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well, the saying goes that we eat with our eyes first, so I must that we smoke with our eyes first. I dont really like that they do it, but as long as it doesnt affect quality, I wont let it stop me from smoking a certain cigar. I do however like a sort of "rustic" looking cigar, so I wouldnt mind a mottled or blotchy wrapper.

I however havent had die stain my lips or teeth or anything so my mind may change on this subject! I did however recently smoke an OWR that gave a very bitter taste on the lips, almost like tar build up but there was no visible tar on the head. Does anyone think that the die could cause this bitter taste? Just a thought...

-Steven

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
Actually guys according to one B&M owner who's been doing this
for 15 years, what rocky does is "Wax" his cigars, that residue/chemical
that comes off now goes into your body artificially.

Either stay away from RP maduro's all together, or only smoke his "Natural Wrappers".... I've never smoked and edge maduro, and now I never will! :fencing: En Garde!
I have the RP video. I have watched them spear or immerse their leaves in a brown hand lotion substance to get their leaves a certain color. It is dye and it is unfortunate that a company who wants to be top dog has to resort to this instead of getting a more superior leaf.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
glad this old thread came up. Dyeing wrappers and selling them as maduros is despicable at best.

wish this could be a sticky thread. down with RP.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Rocky Patel makes shitty cigars imo..no offense to anyone.

That is my opinion before finding out about the dye, and certainly more so now. Lame, lame, lame!!

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Really glad I read this post. I haven't had any RPs yet, but I have wanted to give some a try. I also happen to like Maduro wrappers. However, I don't much like the idea of having my hands or mouth stained any weird color. In fact I think it rather shitty of a company that's supposed to be making such premium cigars to do something like this. I like dark wrappers and yeah I'll pay a little extra for a particular cigar for a darker wrapper, but if you've got to doctor it to get it that way I don't want any part of it.

Dan

maestrobasser

@maestrobasser
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't see what the fuss is all about personally. The OWR is one of my favorite smokes. As is the Decade and Edge. Someone else mentioned they won't smoke AB's... the Tempus is a FANTASTIC cigar. As is the SCR and a couple of their others.

If they taste good, hell I'll smoke it. If it's a natural product it doesn't really bother me at all. I will say i've never had anything that like looks what the OP posted. Tobacco stains will show up on anything when its wet however, so while i'll say getting something like that all over hands and lips might be nasty, it's not really surprising to me... dyed or not.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
If anyone has access to the current issue of Cigar Press, there's a really good article on maduro wrappers that addresses the kinds of problems and misconceptions about dark wrappers and how people in general seem to misconstrue any dark wrapper as a maduro, taking color as a pure indication of the kinds of flavors associated with it. It discusses the process by which wrappers ripen into a proper maduro shade/flavor/classification, and talks about the demand for the wrappers (in the wake of the late nineties cigar boom) and the inability for some manufacturers to meet consumer desire and who end up taking a shortcut and dyeing their cigars in order to supply smokers with what they "want."

Having said that, if you like the taste of those dyed RPs and don't mind looking like you shine shoes with your lips, smoke 'em. It is, however, quite disingenuous for manufacturers who continue to try to lure customers by appealing to some people's admittedly superficial criteria for purchasing sticks. Caveat emptor.