What's new

Dyed Wrappers on Cigars

axi

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. I've only had that happen to me once slightly on my lips and not as bad as your hands.

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Are any of the Liga P sticks dyed? last time I smoked a flying pig my saliva was brown, it was disgusting and never happened before.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I even found a post on BOTL by dprice in 4/08 saying a RP R4 made him spit orange! Sounds like this should be no surprise.
And it's been about that long since I've smoked an RP.

Are any of the Liga P sticks dyed? last time I smoked a flying pig my saliva was brown, it was disgusting and never happened before.
I don't think the Liga Ps are dyed. think about brewing tea. You add water to a leaf, and you get dark liquid. So if you smoke a particularly dark cigar, you may end up with tobacco tea in your mouth. I smoked a flying pig this weekend, MY first, and very good, and I did not notice anything odd.

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It probably just has to do w/ the inconsistency in the line. I've had great ones and horrible ones. Never really had two that tasted the same.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
The popularity of dying cigars came about during the cigar boom in the 90's. Manufacturers noticed lots of people were asking for darker sticks. Quality doesn't have a lot to do with wrapper color per se. Dark leaf is a result of the aging process and temps the tabacco is cured at. It is a longer process to darken a leaf, therefore more expensive to use, since it requires building a bit of inventory. Some folks feel, mistakenly in my opinion, that a darker leaf tastes better. This just points to the fact that taste is subjective and there is a market for everyone.

The idea of wetting ones cigar comes from Mi Ron Nee who some hold as the guru of the cigar world. Me, not so much. He does have a rather large collection of aged smokes. Being a doctor I suppose, he has the income for such. Nee has posted, and written, about the fact he rinses his cigars with water before smoking, supposedly to help regulate and even out the burn. I have not tried this or know anyone who actually has. I personally believe Nee was drunk when he posted such a statement. There are people out there who hold every word from this guy as gospel. This is where the idea of rinsing cigars comes from. Not from some secret knowledge that long time smokers posses and found to be true.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Rinse a cigar??? Why??

We try so hard to keep our sticks at 60-70% humidity... just to wet them before smoking??

Last edited:

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
Actually guys according to one B&M owner who's been doing this
for 15 years, what rocky does is "Wax" his cigars, that residue/chemical
that comes off now goes into your body artificially.

Either stay away from RP maduro's all together, or only smoke his "Natural Wrappers".... I've never smoked and edge maduro, and now I never will! :fencing: En Garde!

n.olson

Veteran Eccentric
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
what the heck does wax mean? that he is somehow infusing the wrapper with wax?

if that's the case, i would be willing to bet the decade is 'waxed', seeing that i find that to be the oddest wrapper i've ever seen.

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
He says the Rub them with wax to give the wrappers that dark glossy finish.

The Omar ortez in the pic under the "Guess how much i paid thread" looks
almost identical in color to the edge maduro wrapper. If you lick your thumb
and rub it across the ortez, you get nothing.

If you lick your thumb and rub it across the edge maduro, you get a brown
substance. According to him, that's wax! I shouldn't say this, but the decade and the old worlde maduro's i have will probably end up in a bomb somewhere! *grinz* :barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

(Maybe on another forum....)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
happened to me also with the tempus i knew something was up with the tempus when i saw gold sparkles in it wont have another tempus

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
happened to me also with the tempus i knew something was up with the tempus when i saw gold sparkles in it wont have another tempus
Yup, I noticed that as well! I seen a lot of gold speckles in all over the wrapper, I thought it was just from the bands. I stay away from AB, and this is another reason why. The Magistri Maduro is definitely dyed as well, nasty stuff!

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I see this happening more and more and its really sad. I've sworn off RP for a couple years now. He keeps comeing out with more and more products. Scared to try the Patel Bros. It's super dark and shines like shoe polish.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Does anyone know if the 5 Vegas 'A' is dyed? It has an extremely dark wrapper leaf...
I'm not sure on that one but if you have one moisten the cap and wipe it with a paper towel, it's easy to tell if they have dye on the wrapper as it comes out much darker than non-dyed cigars.

Perhaps someone else can let you know for sure.

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
Crazy thing is T,

That shit tastes Good! *lol*

I see this happening more and more and its really sad. I've sworn off RP for a couple years now. He keeps comeing out with more and more products. Scared to try the Patel Bros. It's super dark and shines like shoe polish.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I've now read a few things about some companies using mineral oils to make the wrapper appear oily. It would be interesting to see how widespread the cosmetic stuff is... I've now noticed several dyed wrappers by wetting my finger and rubbing the cigar. So far, I've found stuff on Room 101, Carlos Torano Exodus... nothing on Padron, though.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
This has been discussed before, but MOST maduros these days in the cigar industry are dyed. Yes, MOST. Even the Padron family admitted that the Padron 80th was given "color enhancement" I believe was their term, lol, after enough people claimed that it had to be dyed.

In case you didn't know, the dye used for cigars is made from other parts of the tobacco plant, so yes it is an all natural tobacco product. Although I find it annoying when it's really bad, I've come to take it as a sad fact of the hobby.

Also, I'm not positive on this but I think that even natural (i.e. non-"enhanced") maduros can rub off a bit of color. I smoked a Tatuaje East Coast the other day and my fingers were noticeably brown after I rolled the head a bit to try to open up the draw. I'm not saying the Verocu is dyed--I have no idea--but even if it was, I wouldn't care--because it's a freakin' delicious cigar!