What's new

Emergency wineador purchase

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Here in lovely SoCal, we're suddenly seeing 85-90 degree outdoor temps this week after a nice long cool spring.

So naturally I need something to put my sticks in that won't end up with them getting baked in my apartment every day (or force me to run my window A/C all day long).

Currently have a Diamond Crown 90-ct desktop. Would like to have room for a few (a *FEW*) various boxes at some point, to age, but the 90-ct is decent for now, volume-wise.

I'll be using beads whatever I choose to do, since I don't want anything so big that active humidification will be necessary.

Choices are:

1. Something small & used that I can just stash my whole desktop in until I get something more permanent

or

2. A real "project" unit that I can stick some cedar planks into now, and eventually invest in some drawers and shelves.

Used stuff on CL seems to be in the $40-$120 range, for 16-28 bottle units. And the NewAir 180E new for about $180 locally.

A wrinkle: the girlfriend is a big wine fan and is already salivating about being able to put a handful of her bottles in there too (anyone do this? the temperature would be controlled for cigars, but I'm sure having your wine stabilized at 70 degrees is better than lying under the bed).

Any recommendations for other brands (Newair, vinotemp, cuisinart, etc) to consider or to avoid would be appreciated, brothers.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Buy 2 NewAir, one for u 28 or bigger, get the drawers n shelves add on, and one for her u can't go wrong.......

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Check air n water website for the scratch n dent deal

Also get the drawers from Forrest. I cannot afford them right now but as soon as I get funds together they are a MUST have

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Drawers from Forrest are great. I'm currently trying to get a resolution from air n water about a nonfunctioning scratch and dent unit without much luck at the moment so I can't say go there because it's quickly turning into more hassle than it is worth. But I do have a 281e that is all set up that works great!

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I wouldn't put wine in there because I wouldn't want my wife going in and out of it, especially after she's been drinking... Besides, once you have more space to fill you will end up fighting about it because you will want to fit "one more box"....

You say girlfriend and not fiance or wife. I assume she can buy her own cooler? Might be your last chance if she is about to become one of the former... Ha ha ha ha ha

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I wouldn't put wine in there because I wouldn't want my wife going in and out of it, especially after she's been drinking... Besides, once you have more space to fill you will end up fighting about it because you will want to fit "one more box"....

You say girlfriend and not fiance or wife. I assume she can buy her own cooler? Might be your last chance if she is about to become one of the former... Ha ha ha ha ha
GF for the foreseeable future. I'm hoping sharing space will discourage both of us from overdoing it ;)

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I store mine at 65 degrees. But I also have an ETC to maintain temp instead of the thermostat in the unit itself. However it's fine to use the stock unit to cool, Just set it to 65 and you should be good to go.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I've been searching Craigslist for a while now, everyone wants way too much just for the 8 and 12 bottle coolers. $70 and up it seams, I have one now that is a two part cooler but only the top works properly. I would look for one of those if your planning on shareing with the gf. Then you don't have to worry about her getting into your area.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
People in LA ask too much for their used disgusting wine coolers. Just spend a little bit more and buy a new one. But keep in mind, it's going to take couple of days to get the cooler ready. So I recommending finding a way to keep your cigars cool for the next few hot days we have.

I ended up lining the inside with cedar. If you need sheets of cedar, you can find some from Rockler in Pasadena, that's where I get mine. Or there's a place in culver city, I believe it's Anderson wood.

As for the wines, tell her to go buy her own wine cooler. I actually ended up buying a bigger wine cooler for the cigars and used my smaller one for the wines. :grin:

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
People in LA ask too much for their used disgusting wine coolers. Just spend a little bit more and buy a new one. But keep in mind, it's going to take couple of days to get the cooler ready. So I recommending finding a way to keep your cigars cool for the next few hot days we have.

I ended up lining the inside with cedar. If you need sheets of cedar, you can find some from Rockler in Pasadena, that's where I get mine. Or there's a place in culver city, I believe it's Anderson wood.

As for the wines, tell her to go buy her own wine cooler. I actually ended up buying a bigger wine cooler for the cigars and used my smaller one for the wines. :grin:
Appreciate the local info! You ever go to V Cut?

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
One additional issue:

I notice the Vinotemp 28 I'm looking at has a max temp of 66 degrees. I assume that is not an issue, being that low? Never chilled cigars before...
66 is fine, but watch out for how much it runs, you could end up with lots o condensation if the unit is constantly cooling and the exterior temp is too high.

If I lived in a less-temperate climate, I'd get a freezer and rig it up to keep temps in the mid-60's, then put my wineadors inside of it.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0

I've been there couple of times, not too often. Are you a regular there?

I'm usually in the Valley, Cigar warehouse and Fair Oaks.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0

Regular yeah.

There's a $25 My Father event tonight -- come by if you feel like it!

Paulo

Rating - 100%
40   0   0

Regular yeah.

There's a $25 My Father event tonight -- come by if you feel like it!

Paulo
I would have, but i'm getting together with my guys later tonight.

Do you happen to know an Asian guy with glasses by the name of Baro?

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
you can get a 281e shipped for $195 from air n water at the moment if you're interested. I've bought new from them before and haven't had a prob. The current fight is over a s&d unit.

Last edited: