What's new

Emergency wineador purchase

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, my other hobby is planted aquariums.

I spend a lot of time in "fish aisle"

If you go to buy activated charcoal, get the cheapest one they have, no difference at all b/t cheap and expensive for wineador purposes.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
OK, so...

Heat wave #2 has hit (it's gonna be 97 today...) and I'm still waiting for my Newair to stop stinking of plastic so I can use it.

I've had a plate full of activated carbon in there for 4-5 days now, and it's been running the whole time. It's better, but smell is def still there. Already wiped down w/vinegar & baking soda twice.

Is it worth doing newspaper even with the carbon?

Sunlight is not an option, as I have no yard/secure outdoor space.

Thank you for the tips! Please keep them coming!

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
OK, so...

Heat wave #2 has hit (it's gonna be 97 today...) and I'm still waiting for my Newair to stop stinking of plastic so I can use it.

I've had a plate full of activated carbon in there for 4-5 days now, and it's been running the whole time. It's better, but smell is def still there. Already wiped down w/vinegar & baking soda twice.

Is it worth doing newspaper even with the carbon?

Sunlight is not an option, as I have no yard/secure outdoor space.

Thank you for the tips! Please keep them coming!
I used mild dishwasher detergent with warm water to clean, then left it open with some KL for couple of days. That got rid of the smell for me.

Rating - 95.5%
24   1   0
Or you can hire my ex-wife to get the smell out. Nothing and I mean nothing could stand to be with her in small space. Lol.
Good luck with your build. I got lucky, bought my wineadors 2nd hand. No smell to worry about.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am noticing a trend where people do every clean out method currently known to us here and still report smelling plastic.

So far what I have personally seen, is 10 times out of 10, they go ahead and put the cedar in and start to prepare/season it and it smells fine, nothing but cedar smell.

If you have done multiple cleaning techniques, you have done all anyone on here has ever done, so I would suggest to go ahead and be done with cleaning and put the cedar in, you will probably be surprised at how much the cedar smell takes over at this point.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I am noticing a trend where people do every clean out method currently known to us here and still report smelling plastic.

So far what I have personally seen, is 10 times out of 10, they go ahead and put the cedar in and start to prepare/season it and it smells fine, nothing but cedar smell.

If you have done multiple cleaning techniques, you have done all anyone on here has ever done, so I would suggest to go ahead and be done with cleaning and put the cedar in, you will probably be surprised at how much the cedar smell takes over at this point.
Yes. I agree with this and with 3/5 King. Get the cedar in and season. Throw sticks in, profit.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
OK gents,

At last the Newair seems to have released all its "new wineador" smell and is ready for seasoning.

I grabbed a few empty cedar boxes from the B&M and placed them inside (waiting on drawers next month). Now it smells like cedar and box lacquer, which is an improvement over chinese plastic.

I also, for fun, popped my new Hygroset II hygrometers in there, and they are reading something very interesting. With the Newair temp set to max (66F), and no humidification device present other than the boxes themselves (4 of them), it's reading 68F and 67%RH -- very nice cigar weather in there! Weird? Why so humid? Should I expect it to drop once the boxes finish spewing out their moisture?

Also I have yet to plug the drain hole and I am wondering if this is causing the unit to pull moisture in through there while it's cooling?

Soon as the drawers arrive I will load it up with them, put a tray of KL in (without adding distilled water, to see where the RH settles), and see what happens.

BOY this take a while to do right! I've had it for over a month already and it's still weeks away from seeing its first cigar.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Any updates on your system? Any issues with the RH levels inside and what's your temp in side your apartment?

I'm still having issues with mine and I even bought an Oasis system and the RH still won't get higher the 55%. What gives?

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
That is weird.

Mine's doing great. I have 2 KL trays in there, and 3 hygros that read anywhere from 67 to 69%. Temp in the apartment during the day is probably 75. Temp on the wineador is set at 65 and reads 66, which is great. I also have 3 Boveda 69% packs in there, which I plan to replace with 65%, and that will bring my RH down to the mid 60s where I want it.

Check your hygros for proper calibration, and then check for holes in your humi. If you were very aggressive pulling out the shelf clips, you could easily have opened up a leak. Also of course plug that drain hole.