Ending my relationship with Gurkha

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by GaryPoe, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Old Smokey

Old Smokey

You do realize these posts will live forever on the internet, right? What are your great grandkids gonna think?
    I used to have 3 Gurkha cigars and handed them out to my son's drunk friends during a 4th of July cookout in 2014. They thought they were high rollers and I never looked back.

2. icehog3

icehog3 Outlaw Hockey Biker donor5

@GaryPoe , would it be offensive if I said you were a glutton for punishment? :p

3. Highlander

Highlander

Media:
    Albums:
    A Gurkha can be good after 3 glasses of scotch, but not before. (doubles)

GaryPoe, Lok17, CVAC085 and 4 others like this.
  4. icehog3

Much like a fat chick. :ROFLMAO:

GaryPoe, Lok17, drjammer and 7 others like this.
  5. xFreebirdx

xFreebirdx Patriot Guard Rider donor1

Media:
    Albums:
    Safe to say, that is one bitch I've never had a relationship with. ;)

GaryPoe, Tyler86 and Glassman like this.
  6. Cafe Y Tabaco

Cafe Y Tabaco

Ironically, one of my top favorite cigars was the G3, which they no longer make. I haven't enjoyed any other Ghurkha's that I've tried.
    I think their real fame comes from Clinton using one on Monica, maybe they're in the wrong market.

GaryPoe likes this.
  7. unfairtoast

unfairtoast donor4

Media:
    Albums:
    I like these reviews. If more...showed up in your humidor would you keep going...?

8. Frost

Frost

Media:
    Albums:
    I’m not defending Gurkha as overall, I agree with most of you as many of their cigars are questionable at best. I have however had a handful of Gurkha cigars that I really enjoy and am not embarrassed about it. I’ve had some cigars from companies that people rave about that are supposed to be of much higher quality than Gurkha but that I would not smoke again as these “high rollers” weren’t even worth finishing. I guess my point is that I’ve had good and bad cigars from many companies and I try to approach every new smoking opportunity with an open mind and without preconceived notions.

GaryPoe, CVAC085, Old Smokey and 3 others like this.
  9. Hopduro

Hopduro PhDStogies donor3

Even if a "few are decent", I don't want to support a company that puts a huge price sticker on MOSTLY garbage.

I'd rather support the little guys. EZ, C&A, CH, Tat, Warped, and all the other small companies poking out. It's the same thing with beer, I won't touch anything from ABInbev. For example, wicked weed from Asheville. They sold out. Are they awesome? Yes. Are they going to put out the same quality now that they are nationally distributed? Hell no. Game over.
    I'll support the local, micro and nano breweries.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

GaryPoe and CVAC085 like this.
  10. DanceOnTheBlackTop

DanceOnTheBlackTop Get to da choppa

I think they prey on new people getting into the hobby. I remember a few years ago when I first started the hobby I went to my local BM and found that they had them 4 for 10 dollars. 40 dollars worth of cigars for 10 dollars! Wow. I thought i had them over the barrel. When I brought them to the counter the guy asked me if i ever had them before. I said no, then he said are you sure you want them. I thought to myself why would he ask that. I bought them anyway and started to smoke one on the way home. Needless to say, after the first third I threw it out the window. The other 3 suffered the same fate. Maybe at one time they were good when they only produced a few sticks but now since they produce so many I think the quality went down drastically. You're better off rolling up a pile of dogshit in the backyard and smoking it.

GaryPoe and CVAC085 like this.
  11. icehog3

No reason to be embarrassed. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. :)

GaryPoe, Dran, CVAC085 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Lok17

Lok17

Media:
    Albums:
    Fixed it!

GaryPoe likes this.
  13. GaryPoe

GaryPoe

These last few replies are Golden. The reason I ended up with all these when I first got into cigars I seen an advertisement for a large sampler for near nothing. The price was marked down significantly and with a little research I had to have them. (Who wouldnt buy the best cigars made for pennys on the dollar). The first one I smoked I think was a Beast, it canoed and tunneled so bad it was barely smokable at all, and it just tasted like a giant cigarette. So i chunked it in the road to meet its demise with a car tire. Further research afterward took me off on love/hate spins and marketing schemes, so i thought maybe if i let them rest for a few years they may end up smokable. Well, they have been left in the humidor until I started this thread, needing the room they were taking up. I never really had a relationship with them, just too many. But Im glad your enjoying it.

icehog3 likes this.
  14. Cigary43

Cigary43 Just Another Ashhole

Media:
    Albums:
    Never smoked a Gurkha I didn't want to exploit for humorous reasons. They go on sale for $50 a stick in one month and in the next month they are selling a 5'r for $10....not sure the business model on this brand but consistency isn't one of them. The taste....well....if one likes the taste of a south-end of a north bound buffalo then this is your cigar!

icehog3 likes this.
  15. Cigar Smoker UK

Cigar Smoker UK

I've not had a Ghurka but only ever hear bad things about them. But each to their own and if you enjoy them that's what matters.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk