What's new

Ending my relationship with Gurkha

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
2 years in the humidor, started off mellow, mild leather, grassy. Burn was good all the way, did get a little cock eyed but followed through. Nothing changed entire stick. Leather and earthy grassy note kicked up, somewhat a pecan note, a little zest on the final 3rd but wasnt nothing to hype about. Has like a dirty diesel fuel truck smell taste to it, if you ever been around farm equipment you know what im talking about. Good smoke output, perfect draw, caps came off, started pulling apart in the mouth. Ammonia heavy on smoke output. Paired well after Jambalaya and Budweiser. Retro hale i actually forgot about until now... very earthy, dead dry grassy, flavor almost like almonds with a marijuana stem end note. Kinda weird but not bad. Its ok. Burn finally went waco. Im done, wouldnt ever buy it again. Think i have one more Gurkah left eventually. View attachment 130006 View attachment 130007
You do realize these posts will live forever on the internet, right? What are your great grandkids gonna think?
I used to have 3 Gurkha cigars and handed them out to my son's drunk friends during a 4th of July cookout in 2014. They thought they were high rollers and I never looked back.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ironically, one of my top favorite cigars was the G3, which they no longer make. I haven't enjoyed any other Ghurkha's that I've tried.
I think their real fame comes from Clinton using one on Monica, maybe they're in the wrong market.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I’m not defending Gurkha as overall, I agree with most of you as many of their cigars are questionable at best. I have however had a handful of Gurkha cigars that I really enjoy and am not embarrassed about it. I’ve had some cigars from companies that people rave about that are supposed to be of much higher quality than Gurkha but that I would not smoke again as these “high rollers” weren’t even worth finishing. I guess my point is that I’ve had good and bad cigars from many companies and I try to approach every new smoking opportunity with an open mind and without preconceived notions.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I’m not defending Gurkha as overall, I agree with most of you as many of their cigars are questionable at best. I have however had a handful of Gurkha cigars that I really enjoy and am not embarrassed about it. I’ve had some cigars from companies that people rave about that are supposed to be of much higher quality than Gurkha but that I would not smoke again as these “high rollers” weren’t even worth finishing. I guess my point is that I’ve had good and bad cigars from many companies and I try to approach every new smoking opportunity with an open mind and without preconceived notions.
Even if a "few are decent", I don't want to support a company that puts a huge price sticker on MOSTLY garbage.

I'd rather support the little guys. EZ, C&A, CH, Tat, Warped, and all the other small companies poking out. It's the same thing with beer, I won't touch anything from ABInbev. For example, wicked weed from Asheville. They sold out. Are they awesome? Yes. Are they going to put out the same quality now that they are nationally distributed? Hell no. Game over.
I'll support the local, micro and nano breweries.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

DanceOnTheBlackTop

Get to da choppa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they prey on new people getting into the hobby. I remember a few years ago when I first started the hobby I went to my local BM and found that they had them 4 for 10 dollars. 40 dollars worth of cigars for 10 dollars! Wow. I thought i had them over the barrel. When I brought them to the counter the guy asked me if i ever had them before. I said no, then he said are you sure you want them. I thought to myself why would he ask that. I bought them anyway and started to smoke one on the way home. Needless to say, after the first third I threw it out the window. The other 3 suffered the same fate. Maybe at one time they were good when they only produced a few sticks but now since they produce so many I think the quality went down drastically. You're better off rolling up a pile of dogshit in the backyard and smoking it.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
No reason to be embarrassed. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. :)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These last few replies are Golden. The reason I ended up with all these when I first got into cigars I seen an advertisement for a large sampler for near nothing. The price was marked down significantly and with a little research I had to have them. (Who wouldnt buy the best cigars made for pennys on the dollar). The first one I smoked I think was a Beast, it canoed and tunneled so bad it was barely smokable at all, and it just tasted like a giant cigarette. So i chunked it in the road to meet its demise with a car tire. Further research afterward took me off on love/hate spins and marketing schemes, so i thought maybe if i let them rest for a few years they may end up smokable. Well, they have been left in the humidor until I started this thread, needing the room they were taking up. I never really had a relationship with them, just too many. But Im glad your enjoying it.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Never smoked a Gurkha I didn't want to exploit for humorous reasons. They go on sale for $50 a stick in one month and in the next month they are selling a 5'r for $10....not sure the business model on this brand but consistency isn't one of them. The taste....well....if one likes the taste of a south-end of a north bound buffalo then this is your cigar!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've not had a Ghurka but only ever hear bad things about them. But each to their own and if you enjoy them that's what matters.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gurkhaha "too much shit to read on the band ill just call it the 13"
So. I bit the bullet yet again for you fine gentlemen... ladies???... This bad boy has been sitting at the bottom of my tupperdor for about 3 years, paired with a fine glass... make that several, of Makers Mark and a brand new Dell XPS 13 I'm still figuring out.

Pre Lightttt. Smells like a cigarette. Tobacco, maybe a hint of hay and or barnyard but id be lying honestly. pig tail was pathetic looking my kids could have done better, you can kind of see it on the first pic. yeah, thats the pig tail.....feels like a piece of paper and is not firm at all, like a loose blunt from uncle Rico. construction seems on point surprisingly other than that. smooth visible seams, no tooth, light sheen on wrapper.

First 3rrrd.... should have lit it from the other end, cigar canoed horribly but I smoked through it and it fixed itself miraculously about an inch down. Smoke is ok, flavor is tobacco, just a suttle white pepper in the back but mostly just tobacco cigarette taste.

2nd 3rrrd. I soon had to take the band off which became almost an emergency, they had to have super glued this bastard, I had to tear it off to get it off without ripping a hole in the wrapper. OK... something has changed. have you ever put a piece of aluminum foil in your mouth, maybe bit some off by mistake? well, it has that taste. getting more barnyard and leather, little white pepper still. But this aluminum foil thing has me puzzled. I'm having to stop and take a puff every 15 seconds or so to keep it going unfortunately because id rather not..... , I would say its the humidity, but its absolutely perfect today but its running again but slowly fixing itself "pic"

3rd 3rrrd. Honestly, the only thing that tastes right now is my whiskey. I think the cigar is helping the whiskey notes! There has to be a piece of aluminum in this thing, Id like to cut it open and see ive never tasted anything like it.
Thumped the ash, primed and blew it hot. several short draws and a retro hale to get the thing going and a long chrome sucking swag of the jaws the ladies know me for aaaand BOOM! more of the same shit. it is catching more pepper, leather is receding, noticing the aluminum more on the wrapper, whiskey is prime time baby. Crack in the wrapper that will continue guaranteed. Aluminum taste is more up front now, getting more grassy, ammonia like flavors coming in, leather is picking up, white pepper has turned into cayenne especially on the retro. Wow a flock of bluejays just flew in my yard i got distracted.

I ended this nightmare at about the 2.5 " mark. Gurkha is the most famous brand in the world "the band says", you can guarantee its not from being the "best" brand in the world. I can sell the most cow shit on the planet and it would be the most shit sold worldwide but who's to say its better than anyone else.

Thanks for reading. Its all for fun, but was an honest review. By the way, I've never had a glass of whiskey so sweet. The cigar changed my whiskey, that was a new experience if that helps at all....

PS: if someone could give me pointers how to make pictures into slides that would be cool. Thanks. pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpgpic5.jpg