What's new

Ending my relationship with Gurkha

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Note. 1st post posted in "Todays Smoke" thread. 9-23-18 6:32pm, pasted here.:
Gurkha "Status"20180923_172044.jpg Not terrible, possibly a fine lawn and garden stick if you could purchase them for $.99 each. The burn was sharp, construction was suprisingly perfect, smoke output was good, taste was young flavorless bittery tobbacco, very simplex on all 3rds. Being in the humi for a year+ I was and wasnt expecting more. Glad its gone. #neveragain.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gurkha "125 Anniversary Edition"
Pre light inspection, the cigar feels light in hand, interesting pale wrapper with a small pin hole at foot due to a stem poking out and a soft spot right in the middle of the band. Very slight woody or earthy tobbaco smell from the foot and almost nothing on pre light draw. 1st quarter give way to leather and earth entirely, at the 2nd i got one draw with a scotch note for a breif second then back to leather, and earth. Great smoke output, burn was razor sharp until the ash fell at mid stick almost 3"! Final 3rd had to touch up the burn, leather, nutty, earthy somewhat creamy. The leather still being dominant. Nuttiness and a hint of cedar is picking up especially on the retro hale. 1.25" to go, burn got wonky again so i ended. Not bad but ive had so many better sticks. Also burn seemed really fast, i will start timing from now on. I dont think it took 45 minutes to smoke.
#neveragain20180924_183142.jpg

DanceOnTheBlackTop

Get to da choppa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gurkha "125 Anniversary Edition"
Pre light inspection, the cigar feels light in hand, interesting pale wrapper with a small pin hole at foot due to a stem poking out and a soft spot right in the middle of the band. Very slight woody or earthy tobbaco smell from the foot and almost nothing on pre light draw. 1st quarter give way to leather and earth entirely, at the 2nd i got one draw with a scotch note for a breif second then back to leather, and earth. Great smoke output, burn was razor sharp until the ash fell at mid stick almost 3"! Final 3rd had to touch up the burn, leather, nutty, earthy somewhat creamy. The leather still being dominant. Nuttiness and a hint of cedar is picking up especially on the retro hale. 1.25" to go, burn got wonky again so i ended. Not bad but ive had so many better sticks. Also burn seemed really fast, i will start timing from now on. I dont think it took 45 minutes to smoke.
#neveragainView attachment 121643
That's too bad and very upsetting. You was Gurkha's last customer.
I've never had a "good Gurkha". Last time I bought a couple it was at a local B&M. The guy selling them to me said "are you sure you want to buy them". I thought in my head "oh boy". They all taste like I raked up leaves in the backyard and smoked them.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I hear tale there are a few of them out there that are good... I smoked 2 evil (worth smoking if free and absolutely nothing else)..... tossed 2 ninja 1/2 way through
I think I may have bombed @GoBison with one as a joke... may be why he won't talk to me anymore ;)
#neveragain

Stupid Tapatalk

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I have one in the humidor, in a glass tube sealed in wax.

My Dad decided a few years back to get me a cigar for my birthday (he's not a cigar guy, got him to smoke a Cuban once probably 15 years ago). So he walks into a B&M and asks the owner for the most expensive cigar in the store....

Despite what PT Barnum might say about it, I'll cherish it forever. And smoke it never.

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My local B&M guy was telling me part of the problem with Gurkha is that they dont own their own factory and as such the get huge inconsistencies in production as they change their leased factory every couple of years. Haven't had one, wont buy one, I would smoke a free one though, just the same as I wont buy bud light but if it's free, it's free lol

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I passed on the smoke for today to give a fair trial, I had pizza and choked on a jalapeno for supper. I think the next two will be the Beauty and then the Beast.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok. So here we go with the Gurkha "Beauty". Inspection: good construction, some blemishes on head end, normal tobacco smell on wrapper and foot very light. Snip and draw was almost no taste at all, like an unlit cigarette. On the light 5:58pm cst. Harsh burning cigarette tobacco that went away quickly while developing. Developed into the first third: Creamy almost no distinctive flavor, i think the light was so bad it killed the acual flavor. Developed into just a creamy oily texture with a quick finish but really no taste of anything distinctive. Great smoke output. Perfect burn so far. Flavors have come to be creamy and nutty, buttery grits with a pinch of salt that ends quickly leaving only burnt tobacco. Retro is revealing an oat note but not much. Final 3rd has revealed construction issues, wrapper is coming apart, and blemishes are starting to crack. Still great smoke output and flavor has been consistant from start of second third. Retro still a nutty toasty oat. 2 1/2" to go i had to touch up a burn issue being perfect so far, sweetness is decending some the buttery grits has turned to a toasted oat. More construction issues followed to its demise before turning to leather and purfume note. End was right at 7:35pm cst. Note: paired with a Shiner Bock, I think the cigar had major influence with the beer. End note, It was quite plesant and would like to try again actually with a different drink perhaps. Oh wait... 20180926_180802.jpg 20180926_190656.jpg 20180926_192202.jpg Retail is $20.00 per stick! NO THANKS.
#neveragain

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Ok. So here we go with the Gurkha "Beauty". Inspection: good construction, some blemishes on head end, normal tobacco smell on wrapper and foot very light. Snip and draw was almost no taste at all, like an unlit cigarette. On the light 5:58pm cst. Harsh burning cigarette tobacco that went away quickly while developing. Developed into the first third: Creamy almost no distinctive flavor, i think the light was so bad it killed the acual flavor. Developed into just a creamy oily texture with a quick finish but really no taste of anything distinctive. Great smoke output. Perfect burn so far. Flavors have come to be creamy and nutty, buttery grits with a pinch of salt that ends quickly leaving only burnt tobacco. Retro is revealing an oat note but not much. Final 3rd has revealed construction issues, wrapper is coming apart, and blemishes are starting to crack. Still great smoke output and flavor has been consistant from start of second third. Retro still a nutty toasty oat. 2 1/2" to go i had to touch up a burn issue being perfect so far, sweetness is decending some the buttery grits has turned to a toasted oat. More construction issues followed to its demise before turning to leather and purfume note. End was right at 7:35pm cst. Note: paired with a Shiner Bock, I think the cigar had major influence with the beer. End note, It was quite plesant and would like to try again actually with a different drink perhaps. Oh wait... View attachment 121771 View attachment 121772 View attachment 121773 Retail is $20.00 per stick! NO THANKS.
#neveragain
I tried one of these again based on @StogieFisher recommendations (I know, I know).. they really aren't bad. Just a smooth, easy going stick for fishing or whatever.. but you can't look at retail with the Gurks, they're all over the place.. a 5er of beauty can be had for less than $20. Sometimes around $2/ea.

But, there's still much better sticks out there in the $2 range, so...