What's new

Estate Pipe Restorations...............maybe

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Ok so I thought I would start a thread here of some do's and DON'T's of restoring my cheap ass ebay pipe lot of "estate" pipes.

Lesson number one; when advised that a soft flame will help remove some bite marks from a stem. DO NOT grab your fancy assed quad flame desk top Perdomo Lotus lighter. This will either A.) give you more sanding to do or B.) make a Nose Warmer out of your nice pipe.

Pics and progress reports to follow

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Yea this is my fav in the lot that I bought. Got 9 total. Let me find the pic and I will post up them all.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Awesome bro! eBay sounds like the place to go?
Well I dont know. Alot of lots that I have been watching go for more than I wanna pay. I can buy new pipes for less than some of them. I just wanted a lot with some cheap stuff so I could learn on. Hate to start out with a Dunhill, not knowing what im doing.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set! I'm diggin the little guy, third down on the right (metal band on it)....funny how pipe choice is so super individual and instinctive :)

Also, do you mind me asking what you paid? I'm thinking of getting into piping again...warmer weather has that effect on me! Lol

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Nice set! I'm diggin the little guy, third down on the right (metal band on it)....funny how pipe choice is so super individual and instinctive :)

Also, do you mind me asking what you paid? I'm thinking of getting into piping again...warmer weather has that effect on me! Lol
Thats my second fav pipe in the lot. Ive started on it also. The bowl needs some work on a buffing wheel but its about ready to smoke. I think I paid 38 including shipping for the lot of them. Little more than I wanted to pay but I had lost so many auctions I got tired of missing out.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Well the stem just came apart. Apparently its two piece. Looks like a filter kinda. But now I cant put the stem int the pipe without having to remove the"filter" looking thing with pliers. I have a couple of Nording stems. Think I make one of those fit the dam thing.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Ok so this is a Carey Magic Inch.

"The system has been designed to allow a precise amount of outside air into each puff of smoke. Unique moisture ports then dissipate wetness, tar and nicotine into the 2 ply Papyrate sleeve, protecting the smoker from unwanted materials. The Papyrate itself provides excellent absorbency for dryer smoking and increased durability. Subsequently the Magic Inch chamber releases moisture through evaporation during resting periods between smokes. Neither a filter nor a standard ‘push bit’, a true innovation."

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
dude, for $38? you wind up with three smokers out of that lot, you done good! especially if you don't mind the work. good luck with it, and would LOVE to see some finished, maybe before and after, pix. o)

also, anyone heard of using nail polish on a loose tennon? NOT a good idea! let it cure for 24hr before i dropped it back in, and it still smeared inside the pipe. going to have to remove it with alcohol (slow, but i am NOT using acetone on my briar), then maybe either try super glue, or try to GENTLY heat and spread it.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
also, anyone heard of using nail polish on a loose tennon? NOT a good idea! let it cure for 24hr before i dropped it back in, and it still smeared inside the pipe. going to have to remove it with alcohol (slow, but i am NOT using acetone on my briar), then maybe either try super glue, or try to GENTLY heat and spread it.
Haven't heard that and I wouldn't go with the super glue either. Beeswax was recommended on a pipe forum to help tighten up loose tennons. If it's just a little loose then it may tighten up when you're smoking it.

Dan

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Great thread and awesome looking pipes!

Please forgive my ignorance and apologize for the small thread derailing but what qualifies a pipe as an "estate pipe"??

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I do believe it's pipe slang for used, or as I like to think of it, new to me :)

Cheers :ccool:
yeah, as far as i can tell, "estate pipe" sound better than "someone who might be dead had this in their mouth, now put it in yours". it's all about spin, really. o)

although, in all fairness, as a good briar or meer is supposed to last decades easy, if well cared for, picking up a dunhill out of someone's estate seems little different than picking up good furniture or crystal. except, y'know, the mouth thing. clean first.