What's new

Estate Pipe Restorations...............maybe

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
The brush i sent should work on the tennon and bottom of stem to scrub that out instead of using all your pipe cleaners. the little bit of bleach in water was to just kill the mouth bacteria on the stem it wont help with oxidization. This is the process i use to clean my pipes. http://pipesmagazine.com/python/general-pipe-section/routine-tobacco-pipe-cleaning-with-videos/
Thanks for the link! I saw the video and it taught me a lot! With the oxidation, I'll search a bit more :D

EDIT: FOUND IT -> http://pipesmagazine.com/matchstickman/pipe-smoking/from-stem-to-stern-pipe-stem-restoration-with-no-buffing-wheel-or-power-tools/

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
OK, so I used sand paper on the stem to renew 2 estate pipes (one thanks to Utah and the other one a DR. Grabow from a friend).
I sanded with 320, 800 and 1500 grit. This is he result:

Should I sand with a 3000 and above? And after sanding, it comes the polishing, right?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Kip

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A good buffing wheel will work wonders on an oxidized stem, and shouldn't abrade away as much stem material as sandpaper or steel wool (use #0000 if you do this). Get the lowest-speed buffing setup possible - a jewler's wheel is best, but a lowspeed bench grinder will work in a pinch. Keep your polishes apart - use different wheels for each, or they'll become big, gummy messes. I use Tripoli brown, white diamond, and carnauba (NOT car wax...buy a stick of pure Carnauba at a woodworking shop). The brown is aggressive, and will clean up anything. The white diamond will take care of most stems. The wax is just to put a coat of nice, shiny wax onto the stem and/or bowl if you like.

If you put a vulcanite stem into bleach, it will clean it up like crazy, but leave it gray/green with oxidation - so you'll have to find a way to buff that off.

As for tightening stems with heat, here's how you can do it: GENTLY, and SLOWLY heat it up over a candle - not too close to the flame; you just want to slightly soften the tenon. Once it's a little soft, (again, GENTLY) push a nail into the hole in the end of the tenon. This will expand its outer diameter. If you go too far, it won't fit....so be careful and do it slowly. You can also put some beeswax onto the tenon and reinsert it. When it heats up & is absorbed into the briar, it will eventually tighten it up - may take a few passes.

Estate lots are a great way to get some pipes you don't have access to otherwise. If you like old, quality briars, they simply aren't made today (there are plenty of good briars today; just some makes/models are no longer available new). So, you're left with getting an estate example. Pipemakers that have died, lines that go off the market, etc. will be other reasons you can go that route. They will sanitize and clean up to look brand new if they aren't too banged up, and it gives you the opportunity to smoke some cool stuff. I've gotten nice old Dunhills in estate lots before with less than $5/pipe invested. I used to buy big lots, clean them up - then sell the ones I didn't want. I often got some killer pipes this way for free - selling the less desirable ones often pays for the ones you keep!

Kip

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks Kip. Seems I can't find the freakin polishing bars, nor the buffing wheel so i'll be buying through Amazon.

Carnauba Wax
Brown Tripoli bar
White Diamond Bar

I don't know which buffing wheel, so I have these 2 options...if there's one better in Amazon, share the link please

Buffing Wheel 1
Buffing Wheel 2

whatcha think?

EDIT: Or maybe this one: Buffing wheel 3
Here's what I bought. It's not especially cheap, but it has everything you'll need and the supplies will last for years of steady use:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2002036/3729/beall-wood-buff-system.aspx

You might be able to find the set cheaper through Amazon or some other retailer. Woodcraft just happens to have a store near me, so that's where I got mine. Make sure your grinder/buffer has the same shaft diameter, too...

Kip

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question:

Is white tripoli the same as white diamond bar? People around here don't know a "white diamond bar" -_-
Should be. I think White Diamond is just a brand name. Any fine polish in stick form (easier to apply to/with a buffing wheel) will work.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Question:

Is white tripoli the same as white diamond bar? People around here don't know a "white diamond bar" -_-
Should be. I think White Diamond is just a brand name. Any fine polish in stick form (easier to apply to/with a buffing wheel) will work.
Does it have to be a muslim wheel? I can find cotten wheels everywhere but not muslim

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk 2

Kip

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One more thing.... If you're using a bench grinder/buffer setup, put something soft (rubber, etc) on the floor beneath it. At some point, the wheel WILL grab a briar or stem and slam it into the floor about 50 miles an hour....

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
One more thing.... If you're using a bench grinder/buffer setup, put something soft (rubber, etc) on the floor beneath it. At some point, the wheel WILL grab a briar or stem and slam it into the floor about 50 miles an hour....
Thanks man..I'll put some pillows lol.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Ok so I got the white tripoli and some "brown-grayish" tripoli (I don't like it, I find it very gray but everyone says it is "brown"). The carnauba wax will be here next week...after it arrives I'll be showing the restoration process

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: