What's new

Estate Pipe Restorations...............maybe

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I'm not sure how the hell I haven't seen this thread till now. I could likely be of help for some of these questions. but I'm too scatter brained to reply to all the questions I've read in this thread in an organized or helpful manner. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread and see if I can be of use as new things come up.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
So dave where did you find the tweaker to buy that cute little thing from, i haven't looked for lab equipment in years and i don't know if they put you on a list anytime you buy pyrex flask.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Thought i would top this thread for our new n00b pipers.

I havent done anything to my estate pipes in awhile but with the weather changing i will be soon. Had almost forgotten about this hread.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
What's the purpose of the salt treatment vs just using alcohol/ pipe sweetener?
salt is a flavor and aroma neutral (in this instance) and absorbative medium for the removal of old oils nd tars in a briar, specifically in prefix sting cake. you salt treat to remove old ghosts, off flavors left from a prior owner, or burning a different style of tobacco in a pipe. the salt actually absorbs the prior substances, while dissolved by the alcohol, and carries them away. alcohol scrubs might take dozens and dozens of passes,where a salt treat could do the same in one go.

as a for example, i got a nice little savinelli roma, kinda prince or diplomat with a decent sized bowl and a cool acrylic stem, but it REEKED of some dude's cherry bull$#it smokes! it took four salt treats and a reaming back to almost briar, and two oxyclean baths for the stem, to finally wrassle the thing into smokable order.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
What's the purpose of the salt treatment vs just using alcohol/ pipe sweetener?
salt is a flavor and aroma neutral (in this instance) and absorbative medium for the removal of old oils nd tars in a briar, specifically in prefix sting cake. you salt treat to remove old ghosts, off flavors left from a prior owner, or burning a different style of tobacco in a pipe. the salt actually absorbs the prior substances, while dissolved by the alcohol, and carries them away. alcohol scrubs might take dozens and dozens of passes,where a salt treat could do the same in one go.

Yep exactly. What he said.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
everclear is the 190 proof. any beverage spirit works, but high proof evaporates quicker, and leaes less trace.

the salt treatment (seen above), is using salt's absorptive properties, and alchohol's near universal solvency, to clean the interior of a briar. block the draft hole with a cleaner, fill the bowl with salt, and slowly pour booze in until the salt is fully saturated. leave it sitting level and stable for 24 hours or so, and come back and scrape out the salt, which has picked up all the alchohol soluable old flavors and aromas. viola, clean pipe!

tip:a small bowl full of rice or dry beans makes a perfect stable resting place for the pipe bowl while it sits.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Everclear in MN is 151 proof, have to go to Wisconsin to get 190. Maune I'll try the 151 and see where that gets me. Just plain table saly or kosher salt or coarse ground? Does it matter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
table salt works, as long as you have uniodized, but as it is much smaller it can be a bear to remove afterwards (which i forgot this past week, to my aggrivation). kosher salt is never iodized, and also digs out better after it has dried, and usually just all around works better. and also makes meat taste amazing, so you should have some on hand anyway.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Everclear in MN is 151 proof, have to go to Wisconsin to get 190. Maune I'll try the 151 and see where that gets me. Just plain table saly or kosher salt or coarse ground? Does it matter?

Dave, we may be headed to WI this weekend to pick up a horse. If so, I'll pick up some 190 for us.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0

Dave, we may be headed to WI this weekend to pick up a horse. If so, I'll pick up some 190 for us.
Let me know otherwise I can have my uncle bring some next week.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
everclear is the 190 proof. any beverage spirit works, but high proof evaporates quicker, and leaes less trace.

the salt treatment (seen above), is using salt's absorptive properties, and alchohol's near universal solvency, to clean the interior of a briar. block the draft hole with a cleaner, fill the bowl with salt, and slowly pour booze in until the salt is fully saturated. leave it sitting level and stable for 24 hours or so, and come back and scrape out the salt, which has picked up all the alchohol soluable old flavors and aromas. viola, clean pipe!

tip:a small bowl full of rice or dry beans makes a perfect stable resting place for the pipe bowl while it sits.
Yup what he said. Only he said it much better than I could. Also dont put salt in the mortise for the stem. I made that mistake and the tenon was too tight afterwards.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Well finally after all this time I got my buffer setup. Needed to, got a couple pipes coming to restore for a guy.

Oh hell yea. What a difference.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Well finally after all this time I got my buffer setup. Needed to, got a couple pipes coming to restore for a guy.
Is it a set up that is small for home use?
Its an old 20-30 year old black and decker 6 inch grinder, I had long ago removed the guards and reversed the motor on the base so it would spin backwards. I then bolted it to a piece of scrap 24 and chuck it in my vice. I will post a pic of my setup. It's my old gun repair workbench that I have setup for pipe restoring. I use a thick towel to cover the bench to pad and protect the pipe and have a clean work surface.