What's new

Estate Pipe Restorations...............maybe

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Looking really nice Dave. I need to get back to restoring some more of the pipes my folks sent me. Also might finally do a salt treatment on the bowls of the two I restored and am already using.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I do salt treatment right after I ream now. Have had couple of sour bowls from good clean estate pipes that I worked on. Never again. Salt treatment is a definite for me now.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Depends on the cake matt. Good cake u can leave alone altogether. I don't like alot of cake so I ream every bowl. Plus I get to kinda see what's under it. I found a cracked bowl that way. It was a Rusticated pipe and I couldn't see the cracks until I reamed it. It was bad. So now I ream every bowl.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
So I picked up this lot about a year ago. Cleaned the ones I wanted and had to toss one and just wasn't sure what to do with the rest.

Something about this one made me want to practice. Figured it was a lost cause.

Apparently it wasnt.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I was visiting my parents and stopped at one of the local antique stores today and picked up this Savinelli 1616 today for $10. The stem is heavily oxidized but the briar looks pretty good to me. I'm planning to try to restore it....my first pipe restoration. Is this a good buy? What's the best way to address the stem?
How old do you think this pipe is?

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Some nice finds and great restores in this thread. I was going to send mine off to have them done when I find some but I decided this is something I can do myself. Slowly gathering materials as I search. Really like that Savinelli above and the pic of the work bench on the previous page has inspired me. I have a nice cubby area in my garage and all week i have been thinking of adding a bench. Now I have a great reason to get it done!!