What's new

Ever think of quit smoking?

Have you SERIOUSLY thought about quitting smoking cigars?

• Yes I have Seriously

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Yes I have but only a passing thought

Votes: 45 28.3%
  • No I have not

Votes: 99 62.3%

• Total voters

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
It is intriguing that since this thread was posted (last night, in fact) my wife came out on the veranda while I was having my routine cigar and scotch hour, said she was concerned that this may be on its way to an addiction, alluding to the fact that the scotch worried her more than the cigar. We talked about it and of course I offered all the normal defenses that a conscientious cigar smoker/casual drinker would. But, our conversation (plus recalling this forum thread) raised some questions in my own mind and I offered to show my good faith answer for her concerns (and my questions) by cutting back to a one-cigar-per-weekend regiment and doing so without alcohol for awhile, in order to sincerely check out the validity my defense of "I control it; it does not control me." I will still relax for an hour on the veranda at sunset, but (as a writer) with a pen and pad, instead of cigar and scotch. Tonight should be interesting ....
Good for you, hope all goes well. Peace of mind is a difficult thing to attain.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Yes, I have SERIOUSLY and RECENTLY thought about quitting smoking cigars.

Why? Because it's gotten excessive.

See, I used to smoke a couple cigars per month, and that was fine. Of course, that turned into a couple per week. Now I'm up to smoking one everyday, and on the weekend sometimes two or three per day. Now mind you, at no point do I smoke because I "need" to smoke--as a former cigarette smoker, I know what that urge feels like. No, I just make time to smoke cigars because I LIKE to smoke cigars. But shit, I'm smoking somewhere around 40 cigars a month now. Fuck, for me, that sounds excessive.
I sometimes find myself smoking a cigar just because I can. For example, I take the dogs for a walk, so I decide to bring along a smoke. But I don't usually bring a good smoke, and walking two dogs isn't really conducive to enjoying a cigar, and so I don't get much enjoyment out of it. Now, instead of lighting up just because I have a few minutes to spend outdoors, I'm trying to limit my smoking to cigars I'll really enjoy at times when I can actually enjoy them.

Last edited:

ironpeddler

Ye' Old Newbie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 heart attacks in two years....the doctors told me to stop smoking cigars immediately and I did. I waited a month and started smoking again...that was over 21 years ago.

My point is, even though the doctors said that, I NEVER once considered quitting. Who knows, if I did, maybe I'd be dead by now!

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
It is intriguing that since this thread was posted (last night, in fact) my wife came out on the veranda while I was having my routine cigar and scotch hour, said she was concerned that this may be on its way to an addiction, alluding to the fact that the scotch worried her more than the cigar. We talked about it and of course I offered all the normal defenses that a conscientious cigar smoker/casual drinker would. But, our conversation (plus recalling this forum thread) raised some questions in my own mind and I offered to show my good faith answer for her concerns (and my questions) by cutting back to a one-cigar-per-weekend regiment and doing so without alcohol for awhile, in order to sincerely check out the validity my defense of "I control it; it does not control me." I will still relax for an hour on the veranda at sunset, but (as a writer) with a pen and pad, instead of cigar and scotch. Tonight should be interesting ....

Thank you very much for your honesty.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I had 2 heart attacks in two years....the doctors told me to stop smoking cigars immediately and I did. I waited a month and started smoking again...that was over 21 years ago.

My point is, even though the doctors said that, I NEVER once considered quitting. Who knows, if I did, maybe I'd be dead by now!
"If I had taken my doctor's advice and quit smoking when he advised me to, I wouldn't have lived to go to his funeral." -George Burns :thumbsup:

It was certainly a wise choice, which ye shouldn't suffer much (unless there is dependence which I doubt); and will prove yer wife ye can control it, but above all, prove yerself.

e-man67

Benny Hill's Understudy
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
It is hard for me now to go a day without smoking...I so look forward to it...I am going to do like a mid week smoke and drink and weekends to start. Today will be day 1...going to be a long one. :sadpace:

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
It's been excessive for me too.
I'm wanting to cut back quite a bit also, but no intentions of quiting though.
I think one-per-day would be a healthy start... :grin:

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
No. I suppose if it reached a point where I thought it was controlling me I would. I just have too much fun right now. Good luck Steve. You must have your reasons and whatever they are I am sure the are good ones.

+1 on both counts

My appreciation and enjoyment of cigars and the culture is continues to deepen. I have little doubt that part of the reason I have been able to successfully lose 145 lbs is due to cigars picking up where the food fell off. (pun intended)

That said, only the person making the decision to stay or step off knows their reasons and the value and need to make that decision for themselves.

I will be selfish and that that I hope the OP will stick around. He is a model BOTL in deed and spirit. That said, if he walks, I will be among the first to wish him, or anybody else for that matter, every good thing.

That said, I will remind them that we will always be here if they change their mind again. :)

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Nice find Jack. I still toy with the idea of quitting sometimes and was some of the reason I stopped coming to the board for about 16 months. I am working out at the gym with the wife and child 3 times a week for the past 2 weeks. First time since before we got married we have tried to get into shape. We feel great doing this as a family. Cut down how much we eat and cut back on the junk food is all helping. I am down to smoking 2-4 cigars per month. Might be the cold weather combined I no longer smoke in the car. Anyhow I love the board and enjoy the people here very much. Now if I could only stop clicking the purchase now button when I visit the online vendors.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I can say I have considered it on a few occasions. If in fact, I ever did quit it would be due to the financial aspect, the fact I went through hell due to a nasty drug habbit I picked up some years ago (7 years clean on January 8th God willing), and my obbessive compulsive behavior to seek more and better. That is what scares me sometimes. If I ever find myself putting this hobby before my more important priorites, I will have no choice but to quit. Since that hasn't happened yet, I smoke like house on fire. I could probably smoke less, and more importantly buy less but for now quitting is nothing more than a fleeting thought.

Funny side note: As I was typing my gf just yelled at me for smoking! :clap:

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hasn't crossed my mind yet, I think if I smoked an excessive amount of sticks Then I would first think about cutting down. I only smoke on the weekends maybe one or two or sometimes every other weekend. If my health was in immediate danger then I would definitely quit!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a new cigar smoker, this poll interests me, but what interests me more is that it was started a couple years ago, and has a couple posters intending to cut back. Sounds like Headbanger was successful at cutting back. The other post which stands out is the one by Electric Sheep. I know he's still around because I recognize his unique avatar.

So, ElectricSheep, were you successful in any or all the items on your list? Especially the last item?

This mainly interests me as a new smoker because I'm still weighing in my mind the risks. Ideally, I'll smoke one a week, and I intend to only get "good" smokes, the ones that cost more than a few dollars. And I want to get some really nice $20+ cigars for those really special occasions. But I'm also weighing the possibility of becoming a 1+/day smoker, which I definitely don't want. So for those of us who say we aren't addicted, and have wanted to cut back in the past, how did it go?