What's new

Ever think of quit smoking?

Have you SERIOUSLY thought about quitting smoking cigars?

• Yes I have Seriously

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Yes I have but only a passing thought

Votes: 45 28.3%
  • No I have not

Votes: 99 62.3%

• Total voters

cigarguy71

BIG JIM
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I love #5 :laugh:

#1 - Quit "collecting" cigars
Collecting is the hobby portion of cigar smoking, and that's what got me so damn wrapped up in them, to be completely honest. While it's enjoyable and fun, I've got plenty of other hobbies. So I'm choosing to get out of the collecting cigars mindset/hobby.

#2 - Quit hoarding Habanos
If I want cigars, I should just buy them and not be afraid to smoke them because they're difficult to replace. Screw hoarding them; that's too much like collecting, and again is a mindset I don't need.

#3 - Quit smoking during the week
When I just smoked on weekends, it was fun and exciting and relaxing. Now that I'm smoking every evening, it's just another daily occurrence, like going to work, drinking morning coffee, taking a dump, or whatever. Boring. Repetitive.

#4 - Make smoking more fun and social
Another by-product of weekday smoking is that it went from a "fun-social-hangout" thing to a "sit-alone-in-the-dark" thing. Turns out, the social aspect was half the damn fun with cigars!

#5 - Fuck more than I smoke
Okay, so I'm smoking 40 cigars a month, but I'm not getting laid 40 times a month. WTF? That's not right! Yeah I like cigars, but I like sex even more. I need to re-evaluate and better balance the ratio of cigars:sex

So in the end, I've decided not to quit smoking cigars. Instead, I'm setting some boundaries on smoking, in order to ratchet it back down to the level of "fun" that it used to be, and where I enjoyed it the most.[/QUOTE]

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I don't smoke as much as I used to. Probably only 2 or 3 a month. So I've been getting rid of duplicate boxes. Getting the inventory down to a manageable level. I just didn't see a need for it. I'm going to be more like Duane and smoke what I feel like smoking instead of hoarding.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I dunno about 2 or 3 a month, but I think I'd be happy smoking 2 or 3 a week. Like make it a friday/saturday weekend thing, a way to relax after a week at the grindstone.

It's this everyday shit that's getting to me.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Never been posed the ? before, my health is still good, my family would reather see me do these Cigars, than being a slave to bottle "Been there done that"....Good Luck Steve

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I have given it a thought but when I realized my woman would just bitch about something else I forgot about quitting. Plus being PT at the local shop it's a way for me to make money.
Come now, I work PT at the local shop and it by no way a means of making extra money. I still spend at least four times as much as I make. I know it sounds really good till you do the math. That's why I had to stop doing the math.

Poriggity

CRA Ambassador #0042
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've thought about it, and actually quit smoking them for about 3-4 months.. I am not back on them, and I love them, and don't think I will ever REALLY quit.
Scott

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I would like to cut back. I use to smoke twice a week. The last few months its been everyday and sometimes 3 in one sitting. Light smoke enjoy. 10mins later repeat. Everyday waking up with tar breath has not been the greatest at home. And the wife noted the other day how I seemed "antsy" cause it was 730 at night and no stoogie yet.
Justin

dpmrpa

Indiscriminate Bomber
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Okay, so I'm smoking 40 cigars a month, but I'm not getting laid 40 times a month. WTF? That's not right! Yeah I like cigars, but I like sex even more. I need to re-evaluate and better balance the ratio of cigars:sex

Yes I agree with ES

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
never thought about quitting.

for me... this is not a vice. it is a hobby that I enjoy very much. I love the flavor of a good cigar and the relaxation it brings (and I don't mean from the nicotine.) I love cigars because of the time and passion that goes into making them well. I love the comraderie that comes along with a hobby such as this when im sitting on the porch with some of my best buds having a great smoke. there is nothing better.

with that in mind... i know its limitations and am aware that smoking more does not always equate to a more pleasurable experience. so... as long as i can practice moderation i will keep lightin' em up.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Yes, I have SERIOUSLY and RECENTLY thought about quitting smoking cigars.

Why? Because it's gotten excessive.

See, I used to smoke a couple cigars per month, and that was fine. Of course, that turned into a couple per week. Now I'm up to smoking one everyday, and on the weekend sometimes two or three per day. Now mind you, at no point do I smoke because I "need" to smoke--as a former cigarette smoker, I know what that urge feels like. No, I just make time to smoke cigars because I LIKE to smoke cigars. But shit, I'm smoking somewhere around 40 cigars a month now. Fuck, for me, that sounds excessive.

Of course, then I think about it and realize it's stupid to completely quit smoking cigars because it's something that I should be able to control (I'm not at all addicted like when I smoked cigarettes), assuming I set some boundaries.

So here's my plan:

#1 - Quit "collecting" cigars
Collecting is the hobby portion of cigar smoking, and that's what got me so damn wrapped up in them, to be completely honest. While it's enjoyable and fun, I've got plenty of other hobbies. So I'm choosing to get out of the collecting cigars mindset/hobby.

#2 - Quit hoarding Habanos
If I want cigars, I should just buy them and not be afraid to smoke them because they're difficult to replace. Screw hoarding them; that's too much like collecting, and again is a mindset I don't need.

#3 - Quit smoking during the week
When I just smoked on weekends, it was fun and exciting and relaxing. Now that I'm smoking every evening, it's just another daily occurrence, like going to work, drinking morning coffee, taking a dump, or whatever. Boring. Repetitive.

#4 - Make smoking more fun and social
Another by-product of weekday smoking is that it went from a "fun-social-hangout" thing to a "sit-alone-in-the-dark" thing. Turns out, the social aspect was half the damn fun with cigars!

So in the end, I've decided not to quit smoking cigars. Instead, I'm setting some boundaries on smoking, in order to ratchet it back down to the level of "fun" that it used to be, and where I enjoyed it the most.

Duane, this is exactly the response I was looking for. I did not share my feelings of why I have been thinking of quitting, but some of what you posted is how I feel. Thank you for your honesty and the post.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Would cutting-back be a good compromise for you?

Yes, right now I have not smoked for 4 days. I am trying to stop smoking for several weeks to see of some issues go away to put my mind at ease. I am not going to make any purchases for several months and might even sell off a few things to lighten the amount of stick I have in inventory.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Thanks to everyone posting here and to those that voted. I appreciate all the posts and the honesty in them. I have read all the posts and taken many positive things from them.

So far 26 (one third) in the positive have at least thought of quitting and 47 (two thirds) have not. With those that are no longer here since they quit smoking, the people in the affirmative are higher than I expected.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is intriguing that since this thread was posted (last night, in fact) my wife came out on the veranda while I was having my routine cigar and scotch hour, said she was concerned that this may be on its way to an addiction, alluding to the fact that the scotch worried her more than the cigar. We talked about it and of course I offered all the normal defenses that a conscientious cigar smoker/casual drinker would. But, our conversation (plus recalling this forum thread) raised some questions in my own mind and I offered to show my good faith answer for her concerns (and my questions) by cutting back to a one-cigar-per-weekend regiment and doing so without alcohol for awhile, in order to sincerely check out the validity my defense of "I control it; it does not control me." I will still relax for an hour on the veranda at sunset, but (as a writer) with a pen and pad, instead of cigar and scotch. Tonight should be interesting ....