What's new

Ever think of quit smoking?

Have you SERIOUSLY thought about quitting smoking cigars?

• Yes I have Seriously

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Yes I have but only a passing thought

Votes: 45 28.3%
  • No I have not

Votes: 99 62.3%

• Total voters
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought about quiting once so I smoked a cigar to get over it, forgetta about it. I'm a lifer!

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
As I know it is not a problem, I voted no. But if I ever got the inclination that it was becoming a problem I would think about taking a break.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thought about it but nothing makes me relax and take it easy like a good cigar so regardless of what my Doctor says I'd rather choose quality of life.

dpmrpa

Indiscriminate Bomber
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
The thought came this week when I realized that I was smoking one or two sticks a day over the last three months. I decided not to smoke for a while. I am on my second day and so far so good. I am over weight and diabetic, mulitple cigars can't be prolonging my life. Moderation is the key for me. Probably will hit the local B&M on Friday for a smoke.

cigarguy71

BIG JIM
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I vote no I am a father of 2 married 11yrs i hate job sometimes, bills there is always something new. I own a old house that something new is going wrong all the time new roof, chimney relined, water heater, central air all new within the last 4yrs. So when i smoke a cigar it gives me something else to thank about to get away and i need that.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I did quit 10 years ago. I was also a pack a day cigarette smoker. My dad was lying in a hospital bed after having his bladder and prostrate removed due to cancer. The Doc told him it was from cigarettes, so he looks me in the eye and asks me to quit smoking them. For him. I quit cold turkey and haven't touched a cigarette since. I started smoking cigars again when a friend gifted me a Partaga 898 early this year and decided a couple a week wouldn't hurt. I'm smoking 1 daily and sometimes 2. If I do decide to quit again it would most likely be a financial decision rather than a health choice.

I've read some interesting things about nicotine and it's health benefits recently. Not sure if this has factual basis or it's just something that I want to believe but it sure is interesting. Here's a link to a book that offers some food for thought:
http://smokersparadox.com/

The magic word is moderation.

Apologies for the long winded nature of my reply.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I voted no, but I probably smoke fewer cigars than the average for BOTLs - typically when I'm in a stage where I'm smoking "regularly," I'll smoke one during the week and one or two during the weekend. And I'll usually only smoke if I've exercised that day and taken care of all of the other things I have to do, so it's like a reward at the very end of the day. If I blow off the workout, errands, etc., then no cigar for me. I'll go through phases where I don't smoke at all or very much for a couple of months - between early January and late March I might have smoked two cigars total. I'll also probably smoke less as it gets outrageously hot/muggy down here in the summer, and even at midnight the idea of sitting outside loses its appeal.

So no, never thought about quitting, but then I keep fairly right reigns on the hobby. For me, collecting cigars, sharing them, trading them, talking about them and the friendships associated with them are most of the fun anyway.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I have thought about it in the past. I only smoke about 1 or 2 cigars a week, so it's not a daily habit with me.

My wife hates my smoking as well, so that makes it difficult to really enjoy, if I know that she's annoyed.

From a monetary aspect it would be a benefit, as every dollar that I spend on a cigar is a dollar that I haven't saved. I certainly have enough cigars to last for the rest of my natural life, but when the EL and RE releases come out it's hard to say no.

What I could see myself doing is cutting waaaay back on my collection and just keeping a desktop with a selection of nice cigars so that I could enjoy one from time to time. That would be a big decision though, and would take some time to arrive there.

Hang in there Stevie! Like Indyrob said, as long as your collection is properly stored, you can just lay off for as long as you like.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Yeah I thought about it...............Then I realized bourbon, not ashing my cigars, was the reason for wrecking a couple of cars. So I quit bourbon, kept on smoking and I haven't wrecked one since.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I have given it a thought but when I realized my woman would just bitch about something else I forgot about quitting. Plus being PT at the local shop it's a way for me to make money.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote no I am a father of 2 married 11yrs i hate job sometimes, bills there is always something new. I own a old house that something new is going wrong all the time new roof, chimney relined, water heater, central air all new within the last 4yrs. So when i smoke a cigar it gives me something else to thank about to get away and i need that.
SOunds exactly like me...new water heater, new bathroom, leak on the ceiling of my house, its an old house and always feel like I am putting more money into it....Smoking a cigar relaxes me...

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Yes, I have SERIOUSLY and RECENTLY thought about quitting smoking cigars.

Why? Because it's gotten excessive.

See, I used to smoke a couple cigars per month, and that was fine. Of course, that turned into a couple per week. Now I'm up to smoking one everyday, and on the weekend sometimes two or three per day. Now mind you, at no point do I smoke because I "need" to smoke--as a former cigarette smoker, I know what that urge feels like. No, I just make time to smoke cigars because I LIKE to smoke cigars. But shit, I'm smoking somewhere around 40 cigars a month now. Fuck, for me, that sounds excessive.

Of course, then I think about it and realize it's stupid to completely quit smoking cigars because it's something that I should be able to control (I'm not at all addicted like when I smoked cigarettes), assuming I set some boundaries.

So here's my plan:

#1 - Quit "collecting" cigars
Collecting is the hobby portion of cigar smoking, and that's what got me so damn wrapped up in them, to be completely honest. While it's enjoyable and fun, I've got plenty of other hobbies. So I'm choosing to get out of the collecting cigars mindset/hobby.

#2 - Quit hoarding Habanos
If I want cigars, I should just buy them and not be afraid to smoke them because they're difficult to replace. Screw hoarding them; that's too much like collecting, and again is a mindset I don't need.

#3 - Quit smoking during the week
When I just smoked on weekends, it was fun and exciting and relaxing. Now that I'm smoking every evening, it's just another daily occurrence, like going to work, drinking morning coffee, taking a dump, or whatever. Boring. Repetitive.

#4 - Make smoking more fun and social
Another by-product of weekday smoking is that it went from a "fun-social-hangout" thing to a "sit-alone-in-the-dark" thing. Turns out, the social aspect was half the damn fun with cigars!

#5 - Fuck more than I smoke
Okay, so I'm smoking 40 cigars a month, but I'm not getting laid 40 times a month. WTF? That's not right! Yeah I like cigars, but I like sex even more. I need to re-evaluate and better balance the ratio of cigars:sex

So in the end, I've decided not to quit smoking cigars. Instead, I'm setting some boundaries on smoking, in order to ratchet it back down to the level of "fun" that it used to be, and where I enjoyed it the most.

Rating - 75%
3   1   0
I have never thought of giving up Cigars. It relaxes me and I still enjoy the hell of smoking a really good one. I'm not addicted or anything, I can go weeks without lighting up one. I enjoy the hobby of collecting cigars. I control what I spend, I realize that it's a process. I take my time and buy what I can afford or like to smoke. If it means waiting a few weeks then so be it. That being said If the hobby became to expensive, or my health was at issue or a problem to family life, then I would have to give serious thought. What ever's going on pal, you do what's best for you. Consider all points and do what you are most comfortable with. Like some else said one you have those babies stored properly they with last for a while. That way is you change your mind again, you still have an awesome collection:clap::clap::hysterica

e-man67

Benny Hill's Understudy
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I have thought about quiting but I just enjoy it too much. My problem is that when I smoke a cigar I must have a drink to accompany it...so everyday I have a glass of scotch, bourbon, tequila, vodka, gin, or whiskey with my cigar. On the weekends I smoke 2-3 and have 2-3 drinks...I think I need to just cut back...I am a cigar and booze snob so I don't smoke cheap and I don't drink cheap so it gets kinda expensive...plus I have kids and they always say "dad are u smoking again?" makes me feel bad sometimes...but it is my way to unwind and I so thoroughly love it. :sadcry:

Lorax429

Dagum
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Only when I take the time to consider how much money I have wrapped up in this hobby.... But I quickly get over it and usually go buy another box to reaffirm my commitment to my own happiness.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
...#5 - Fuck more than I smoke
Okay, so I'm smoking 40 cigars a month, but I'm not getting laid 40 times a month. WTF? That's not right! Yeah I like cigars, but I like sex even more. I need to re-evaluate and better balance the ratio of cigars:sex...
Hear hear!

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I've considered it. It crossed my mind a few times lately since I only have time to smoke one to two sticks a week. But for now I'm not giving up my cigars.

Daviso27

Never been BoM
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I use to smoke more than I do now... I would have a smoke on my commute to work every morning, but I dont now. AS a Chef, I have to approach guest as early as 6:30 in the morning, the last thing they want to smell is "puro tobacco" when Im asking them how were their Eggs Benedict. I do get a little out of hand when I am at events or herfs... 5 or 6 in one sitting. I think my dad and I have gotten to the point were we can hook up and smoke 1 cigar a piece. I do think I need to control my purchases... Like for instance, this Friday is a Tatuaje event at a local B&M and I plan to go insane with my purchase... got to re-up my black inventory!