What's new

Fiscal Responsibility

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then again, you only live once.

Unless you are depriving your children of things they need and are entitled to, I say have fun. After all, having an enviable financial situation when you are past enjoying it is silly. Life is for living.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Great point Mark! Its easy to get caught up in the "I want it now" or as you stated "Keeping up with the neighbors". I save for the boxes I want and pay cash. No credit cards for cigar purchases. (Dave Ramsey rocks)
I have had my large coolerdor set up for about 3 years now. I started with 2 boxes in it. I save up and about every month or so I buy another box. I have a bout 25-30 boxes in it now and they are aging nicely. Yeah I have some nice smokes, Tat's, Cab's, Patel 90's & 92's, Padilla's, Pepin's, etc. and some lower priced smokes that age well. It's dicipline. Its not the biggest or best but everytime I enjoy a cigar, I know its paid for :thumbsup:

Good topic!

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Well said Mark though in defence of my BOTL bretheren I believe most are quite fiscally responsible.. I mean its common place to hear "wish I had the money", "the wife would kill me", etc.. so I don't think people are simply going out and purchasing boxes because its a must have new smoke (perhaps with the Frank). I guess I'm lucky in a way I live in Pakistan so I can't shop as easily online as most of you can and my distrust of the postal service keeps me away from most temptations.

End of the day I don't believe in hoarding smokes and saving them up for years on end simply because life is short and unpredictable.. I don't know where or if I'll be tomorrow and I might as well spend my time and money enjoying what I have. I guess we'll always have our guilty pleasures in life and mine is visiting my B&M every week to smoke some thing new or some thing I enjoy.. life is full of such guilty pleasures and they keep us honest.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
budgets? i don't need no stinking budgets!! then again, i don't have a wife either... hmmmm, coincidence?? ha!

great post Ron! all my purchases (bills, etc) go on my American Airlines credit card, which is paid off each month. and each year, i get to fly to belize for free!!

Alaska_Man

Occasional Puffer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a newbie smoker, so I don't have a "collection." (In fact, I don't have even a humidor). My practice is just to go to my tobacconist and get a single each time I get a paycheck and smoke it that same day. The "one-per-paycheck" system keeps the cigar expenditures down. And, though I don't get to enjoy the aging process, since I know my shop takes good care of their product, the same-day smoke means I have no need for humidors.

BGC

Zach
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Very well said we have a credit card for emergency use but have definitely overspent in the past. Like AJ said somtimes it's good to hear things from someone else.

Oh, and Alaska Man you hang around here too long and you may have to find means of additional storage.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Very well said Mark, I do know this move to SC for my job, new house and all the things that comes with that , I have cut down allot on my buying extra things, including cigars.....Thanks for the reality check Mark,,,,

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
I hear you guys on this one! Times are definitely more tough than they were! Trying to work out that cigar budget sometimes gets sidelined...but thank god for work bonus (aka Nick looses mind for 24 hours and spends every penny!)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good post we all have to watch our pennies. I used to buy my CAO Criollos by the box until I started feeling the sting in my wallet. I still smoke them, just not as often. I managed to find a cheap cigar that I really like. Less than a dollar a stick at my favorite cigar shop in Orlando. I get a wheel of 50 for less than $40. It took a bit of trial and error to find a cheap smoke that I wouldn’t mind smoking on a regular basis. Problem is that I smoke more often than I probably should. But I’m not breaking the bank doing it.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I know that when I was working my girlfriend and I had a lot of excess dispossable income, for dinners out and well cigar buying for me. In retrospec I wish we would have saved more, because now that I am unemployed bills seem to be mounting and I buy very few cigars now. It is so easy to get into the habit of spending. Because when times are good it is hard to say what is the need to save things are good. But as good as things are they can change just as fast.

Great point made by a lot of the brothers. Right now cigars aren't important to me, nor will they be for some time to come. I now see the light and I am trying to save money where ever I can. I just recently gave up smoking cigs after many years of smoking. So to all brothers take care in your budgeting and spending, Save what you can.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
i think saul mentioned it in his post, but i find the generosity of this site to be contagious. i see all the top notch bombing going on and want to share the wealth and get in on the action. it's great to see a positive response to sending someone a cigar they really want or really enjoyed.

but that is no excuse to spend over your means. times are tough for me like everyone else so i find myself making small 5 pack/box split purchases for money i can afford, and even that is cut back now.

in any case, this is a great read for everyone. thanks for the post mark.

carocaniac

i hope this lighter works
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Outstanding post and spoken like a true friend. I believe George Carlin once said, "Interests are free and hobbies cost money", make no mistake about it, cigars are a hobby!