What's new

Fiscal Responsibility

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I would like to say this to all the Newer guys on the board: Remember this, it is not manditory to bomb. A lot of the brothers who bomb quite a bit are also brothers who have been smoking for a longer period of time, and have aquired a large stash over years. Bombing is done out of kindness, and for the fun of it. Please keep that in mind. I like all the other brothers enjoy beating up on newbies, but we don't expect something in return. Trade what you can, bomb if you can. But don't over extend yourself just to try and bomb, It will come in time.

Rating - 94.5%
85   3   0
I would like to say this to all the Newer guys on the board: Remember this, it is not manditory to bomb. A lot of the brothers who bomb quite a bit are also brothers who have been smoking for a longer period of time, and have aquired a large stash over years. Bombing is done out of kindness, and for the fun of it. Please keep that in mind. I like all the other brothers enjoy beating up on newbies, but we don't expect something in return. Trade what you can, bomb if you can. But don't over extend yourself just to try and bomb, It will come in time.
Well said bro

Rating - 100%
234   0   0

Very well said Kelly.

smokingIsh

BoM July '09
Rating - 100%
171   0   0
I cant add much to what Kelly has posted other than this:

Money comes ad goes. Cigars cost money so I think that goes hand and hand . Freinds last for a lifetime, a good cigar lastes until it burns your fingers. You do the math!

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I cant add much to what Kelly has posted other than this:

Money comes ad goes. Cigars cost money so I think that goes hand and hand . Freinds last for a lifetime, a good cigar lastes until it burns your fingers. You do the math!
I think I need a tissue! :crying:

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Incredible post, Mark; especially for people like me who still are in college, for not only are we on a low budget, but the blasted slope lures us downhill. Makes one want to be a cigar reviewer to get them for free.
I agree as well. I am also in college. Spending is already tough, but I set my limits. I would love to go out and buy boxes, and boxes and load down a huge vinotemp. With my college living situations, a big vinotemp would be a stupid move in my dorm room. Also, cigars are fantastic but me eating and doing normal college things takes first priority.

I will always be jealous with the people posting pictures of all their new additions to their collections.

Wagz

Großartig Hurensohn
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I spend plenty more on sticks than I should, but I'm single and only purchase with a debit card... so I don't do any real damage to my funds from week to week. If I look at my cigar related tally over a couple, few months though... ugh. It can be rather frightening.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Great advice for a guy just heading off to college. There's more things that I need to spend money on other than cigars. It's just nice to have them though. Thanks for the post, really have to start budgeting!

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
New here so I thought I would add what I do to this post. Great advice and wonderful support here.

I started a bank account with a certain amount, I add directly to this account every month from our checking account. Every time I purchase cigars, I transfer the amount from the cigar/humidor account to the checking account. That way, I know how much I've spent and I can't overspend. Works for me, might not work for ya.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Having just recently gotten interested in cigars, I am definitely having a hard time not spending all of my money on sticks. I was lucky enough to have inherited a 75 ct. humidor from my father, as well as a few cutters and lighters. I've since gotten the humi seasoned and working... and now I am tempted to buy every stick I see, especially with the internet offering so many "great deals"

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After several months of researching, experimenting, and purchasing cigars from what I've come to understand why it's known as "the devil site", this article has definitely taken on new significance for me.

Fortunately, as I'm accumulating a stock of sticks to age and season, I've been able to splurge a bit, but at some point in the near future, after filling two desktops and a igloodor, I'll somehow have to tighten the reins on what is by far the easiest way I've ever found to spend money.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post! I can see how this hobby can quickly take me down the path of a gambler gone astray!

Forgive the ignorance here...but what is "bombing?"

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, being young in the hobby, I've had my share of impulse purchases, even buying 2 boxes recently without even having smoked the actual vitola before (CAO and Oliva). It is definitely tough for me to avoid good deals as they pop up, and having not smoked enough cigars to have tried even all the major brands yet, I have a strong sense of adventure to do that while I'm still finding my favorites. At the same time, I can't seem to resist stocking up on my favorites as well. I've now filled 3 desktops, and 2 igloodors, and will have to grab another cooler for incoming shipments.

I am not a compulsive buyer. Truly, I'm not - but there are so many great smokes to try, and even smoking one new one a day, I've got months worth of smokes to try that are aging in my humis.

Am I going to have to cut myself off?

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
Lots of talk lately about Accessories, Wineadors, Man Caves, and High-end Box Purchases.

We all love the hobby, but there are a lot of other things we live for each and every day.

Just wanted to bump these words of wisdom for those of us who can benefit from them.

Cheers Brothers!!