What's new

Fiscal Responsibility

onibakushinka

Still Learning
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
As I read though the forum I am happily surprised at the way everyone looks out for one another on here, and the great advice given. Thank you for this thread

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
First time i've read this post.....and I didn't read anything in between the OP, and the final post. One of the better posts i've read on any forum, ever....just blatent honesty. Refreshing really.

I don't forego paying bills, or funding retirment accts. etc. with this hobby, but I can relate to the "keeping up with the Jones'" mentality for certain, as I'm sure many can.

Reading that was one thing, now I need to work on practicing it. Thanks for the post, even if it was a while ago. It's apparent I've still got some work to do ;).

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
As a newbie on here who enjoys a good cigar, especially when it involves fellowship and thoughtful conversation, I appreciate the reminder.

I was one of those guys who went to the store and bought a cigar when I had the time, money, and occasion to smoke.

My first order of business when wading into the deeper water is to get a 10-15 stick sampler, clasp-closing tupperware and moisture beads, and a cutter and cheap torch lighter. THATS IT.

.....and enjoy the process of exploration and expanding my viewfinder. :guitar:

SuperKrishna

Guyanese Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Great post. I have two bank accounts, one for bills and one for fun. I squirrel away money into the fun account and it's what I use for all my fun purchases, smokes, booze and movies. It's a good system and if there isn't money in it, purchases are declined. I don't even carry a debit card that can access the bill account.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Awesome post. Since I am only an occasional smoker(1-2 a week) I am able to get by on 5 pack purchases alone and single sticks. I have gone down the rabbit hole though, with special events like my brothers wedding where I probably spent way more than I should have on a box purchase, but I wanted everyone to have a good time, so I guess it was ok once in a great while. It is SOOOOO tempting to snatch up boxes of the HTF's Fuentes, Tats & ect. when I come across them, but I just think of how much of a dent a 5-pack of those high-dollar sticks can be, and I move on with a few.

Besides, the wife and I have our first baby due in March, so my spending will be severely curtailed at that point.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Figured it was a good time to bump this. Figure I have seen people posting about not being able to buy christmas presents for thier kids last month and this month waiting in line for the newest Tat release. They are after all only cigars.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Figured it was a good time to bump this. Figure I have seen people posting about not being able to buy christmas presents for thier kids last month and this month waiting in line for the newest Tat release. They are after all only cigars.
QFT. Awesome but sad.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Good thinking Arron,

Don't go running up your credit card debt in order to buy the newest, coolest cigar. You may save 20% by buying on line or searching nationwide for them, but then pay 25% to you credit card company. Next thing you know, you are selling your new cigars at a discount in order to pay you credit card debt.

soon enough this is you....

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
You mean I shouldn't spend my unemployment or welfare check on HTF Tatuajes?

sonarman

Hey Skimmer!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Seriously, with the oil heat that I have, Christmas, wife's b-day in early feb, sons b-day in late feb and V (no not vagina) day in between, there are PLENTY of great cigars in my humidor. Thats why I bought the damn thing. Now if I were down to one or two sticks, well I love time with the family more than any cigar. It would make me :barf: if I could not provide for my family due to a luxury of MINE.. Just my 2 cents.

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
Seriously, with the oil heat that I have, Christmas, wife's b-day in early feb, sons b-day in late feb and V (no not vagina) day in between, there are PLENTY of great cigars in my humidor. Thats why I bought the damn thing. Now if I were down to one or two sticks, well I love time with the family more than any cigar. It would make me :barf: if I could not provide for my family due to a luxury of MINE.. Just my 2 cents.
You have a good mindset sonar. But how many times have we read sob stories on BOTL about people on unemployment who can't find jobs, yet they buy and sell every HTF known on BOTL and then post how they can't find work, can't pay bills so start auctions or sales, etc, etc, etc. Why not put that money from your unemployment to better use then buying cigars? It's no wonder they are unemployed from some of the stuff we have seen on here. My view may be a little harsh, but that's how I see it.

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Some of these generalizations here are pretty harsh. I'm one of those unemployed people, and I had an auction to buy gifts for my kids. However, search my posts, I have not bought a single cigar here or elsewhere since around a month BEFORE I got laid off. Just because people post about wanting a cigar, doesn't necessarily mean they actually bought said cigar.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Some of these generalizations here are pretty harsh. I'm one of those unemployed people, and I had an auction to buy gifts for my kids. However, search my posts, I have not bought a single cigar here or elsewhere since around a month BEFORE I got laid off. Just because people post about wanting a cigar, doesn't necessarily mean they actually bought said cigar.
not sure the generalization was directed at any 1 individual, but posting that you are unemployed and in financial trouble, then posting that you want to buy a 5r of the newest LE tat, or whatever is just donkey.

Either you are broke or you aren't, the ups and downs in life don't happen by the week unless you aRE BI-POLAR

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Also if you haven't bought a cigar since things went sideways, mena you are handling the situation correctly.

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
DP, I just felt some of those comments hit close to home. I don't think any of them were directed at me, and I'm not sure who posted the ISO thread you're referring to, I just felt like they were kinda blanket statements and didn't want to be pidgeon-holed into that category. Believe me, I WANT to buy every LE and regular production Tat at least once, but that's just not gonna happen for me any time soon. Too many things in my life are way more important than cigars!

WkndSmoker

Short Story
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
It it always nice to see this thread bumped. Since being a member I have seen it many times. Sometimes when times get tight, and they do, I look for a moment away from the work, and day to day life management, my time, that I can relax and grasp reality for a bit. For many years a good cigar has been with me in those moments. One thing in my life I have done right, I have never financed a hobby, and never will. Some of the best cigars I have had in my life have come from the network of BOTL's, prior to finding this place, during, and for the years to come.