What's new

Foraging! Berries, Fruit, Mushrooms and other wild edibles.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
WOW! - that's absolutely amazing! I'm thinking I will want to retire in an area like that! Very nice Jeremy!(y)
If you haven't visited the Smokey Mountains, yet, you need to put it on your list! Ride the tail of the dragon through Nantahala, ride up to Highlands, hit the blue ridge parkway...

Rating - 100%
157   0   0
If you haven't visited the Smokey Mountains, yet, you need to put it on your list! Ride the tail of the dragon through Nantahala, ride up to Highlands, hit the blue ridge parkway...
Me and a bud from ND did that trip back in 2015 during the week of Sturgis 75th. Amazing trip out to that part of the country! Definitely need to make a return trip out there again!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Laetiporus Cincinnatus (based on the white underside)
Chicken of the woods mushroom. Very tasty and a great texture. Unlike any other mushroom. Amazing breaded and fried. Literally tastes like a chicken tender. A small percentage of people (<10%) have an unpleasant allergic reaction to them. This can be tested by breaking apart a bit of fresh raw specimen and touching it to the inside of your lip. If it tingles, do not eat. Of course always research to confirm ID before trying a new wild food, and eat small amounts at first. (y)
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laetiporus&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwi0rIrPjPLbAhWG8YMKHXuqAqkQmhMIFigAMAI&usg=AOvVaw03ILl0aKO3zVGBLCeY6gFf

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Hey thanks for that tidbit. Never knew the lip thing. It's in small pieces because it was growing in the trunk of a red oak and grew around a tuft of grass. So i had to clean it all out. Normally I leave the chunks as big as possible.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Hey thanks for that tidbit. Never knew the lip thing. It's in small pieces because it was growing in the trunk of a red oak and grew around a tuft of grass. So i had to clean it all out. Normally I leave the chunks as big as possible.
Very welcome, glad to share that info. It could be really helpful, except when your buddy thinks "well, it only tingled a little bit...." :eek: Then calls you later freaking out.. :meh:

Ah, I wondered why they were in chunks. I know I missed out on a bunch this spring while my quad was down. Hopefully I can find some fresh summer ones. Expecting to land some chantrelles tomorrow....

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
First blackberry haul of the year. Looks like it might end up being absurd. May have to look into trying to make some blackberry wine....
20180627_193823.jpg
20180627_193858.jpg
By the way, for those who don't know, the trick to harvesting blackberries, is to only pick the ones that come off with a gentle tug or twist. If you have to pull very hard, they aren't ripe enough and will be sour. And if they fall off from barely touching them, they may be mushy and turning bad. It's a very short window for perfection. (y)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Heck yeah Jody! How are you going to fix them?
Don’t know yet. I haven’t messed with these much. I usually go after Morrels but they just weren’t as plentiful this year. These were about 20 yards from the house and only took about 10-15mins if looking. I’m open for suggestions, how do you like to fix chanterelles?

Jody

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
By the way, for those who don't know, the trick to harvesting blackberries, is to only pick the ones that come off with a gentle tug or twist. If you have to pull very hard, they aren't ripe enough and will be sour. And if they fall off from barely touching them, they may be mushy and turning bad. It's a very short window for perfection. (y)[/QUOTE]

This is the same with raspberries. Harvest looks great!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
@Glassman Here's the only 'fruit' that I have from the Hills of Tennessee
[got it from a friend of a preacher of all people LOL - tight swirls, tiny bubbles, nice blue flame]:cool:(y)
View attachment 116280
Ooohhh yeah buddy. That's the stuff. (y)
By the way, for those who don't know, the trick to harvesting blackberries, is to only pick the ones that come off with a gentle tug or twist. If you have to pull very hard, they aren't ripe enough and will be sour. And if they fall off from barely touching them, they may be mushy and turning bad. It's a very short window for perfection.
This is the same with raspberries. Harvest looks great![/QUOTE]
Thanks man!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Don’t know yet. I haven’t messed with these much. I usually go after Morels but they just weren’t as plentiful this year. These were about 20 yards from the house and only took about 10-15mins if looking. I’m open for suggestions, how do you like to fix chanterelles?

Jody
Usually I just start sautéeing some onions in butter then add the chants and sauté till a little browned or crisping a little. Such a perfect flavor and texture, goes great with so many things. Lots of great recipes. A lot of people put in eggs, serve with a grilled meat, or make a cream sauce with pasta.

They can make an amazing quiche. Just posted one up in the what you cooking thread.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
If you guys are just getting chanterelles and chickens now then it's gonna be longer than I thought for us in Minnesota...