What's new

Foraging! Berries, Fruit, Mushrooms and other wild edibles.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Probably one of the prettiest batches of morels I've found!
20190416_200535-1.jpg
I told my wife that I happened upon some beautiful blondes in the woods and that they were coming home with me....

Beautiful area I found on my way home from work, you'd never realize how amazing it is from the road.
20190416_200559.jpg Mouth of a creek.
20190416_194714.jpg
Natural Bridge.
20190416_194828.jpg
20190416_194612.jpg
20190416_194749.jpg
And it turns out that morels actually do grow under cedars. I was always skeptical of that claim. But found several under them yesterday.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Probably one of the prettiest batches of morels I've found!
View attachment 134601
I told my wife that I happened upon some beautiful blondes in the woods and that they were coming home with me....

Beautiful area I found on my way home from work, you'd never realize how amazing it is from the road.
View attachment 134602 Mouth of a creek.
View attachment 134603
Natural Bridge.
View attachment 134604
View attachment 134605
View attachment 134606
And it turns out that morels actually do grow under cedars. I was always skeptical of that claim. But found several under them yesterday.
Dude that is awesome!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I hunted for Morels several times last year and didn't find a single one. Anyone have any tips on the best places to look? I see Glassman found his near a stream. I have been told the south side of a wooded hill? Does that sound right? Place to look would be much appreciated.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I hunted for Morels several times last year and didn't find a single one. Anyone have any tips on the best places to look? I see Glassman found his near a stream. I have been told the south side of a wooded hill? Does that sound right? Place to look would be much appreciated.
Last year was a really bad year most places. Late cold snap was just too hard. And dry weather at the wrong time. Oklahoma had a great year.

Places that retain moisture. Earlier in the season they're said to be found on ridges where the sun warms it first. (havent proven that out for myself yet.)

Under dying elms.
poplars, cedars, sycamore, white pine. Living ash..

Limestone soils seem to be the best performing base around here.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Found these while scrounging this afternoon behind my house. To answer the question on where to look, I live on a wooded hillside with a southern exposure. Lots of dead ash trees in the neighborhood due to emerald ash borers along with a cooler and wetter than normal May have probably contributed to better than normal harvest this year. This was roughly 3 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using that Tapatalk Thingy

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Looks good! Barry season here won't happen till July as Wisconsin weather there's a little cooler than the southeast. It should be mushroom season soon, and when the berries do happen... will do strawberries, then blueberries and bilberries, then raspberries, and end up the season food blackberries.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I usually can tell when blackberry season is upon us as I'll start finding giant piles of purple possum/raccoon poop in the yard. :ROFLMAO:

That's when I know it's time to bring some gloves, a bucket, and go hit up the woods. Blackberry infused vodka...jalapeño poppers with a blackberry inside...blackberry pancakes...