What's new

From HCM to Heartfelt - Thoughts?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I think also one of the things I worry about (I literally worry about everything) is that at 59% or so, that long-term at this level 6+ months or more, I'm losing oils. I hate to be sitting on a cab of PLPC only for 4 years down the road to have hot ashy wind tunnels instead of delicious caramel sticks.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
HCM > Heartfelt by far in my opinion.

Use HCM in aging stuff with no issues ever. HCM plus KL works well too in stuff that I open.

KL upstairs cabinet because I open that more often and because HCM is expensive.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
Also, have you checked your hygrometer to verify if it's accurate

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
HCM > Heartfelt by far in my opinion.

Use HCM in aging stuff with no issues ever. HCM plus KL works well too in stuff that I open.

KL upstairs cabinet because I open that more often and because HCM is expensive.
This could be part of it too. This is my only humidor, so it gets opened more. But at most about once a week for 5 minutes.

I'm thinking if I supplement with HF, then maybe it will come up a bit and recover faster. I just think the hcm have lost a bit because I have about twice as much beads as I need. Drain hole is plugged. The weather stripping is a bit weird, but it's always been like this. And this is a newer issue as of this winter.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Do you think at this point that the hcm have changed rh? Like lost too much that it has affected them?
They're supposed to not change. I had HF and they got nasty at one point. HCM has not changed color or dusted out. However, their bags suck. I have had 2 break on me with beads going everywhere.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
They're supposed to not change. I had HF and they got nasty at one point. HCM has not changed color or dusted out. However, their bags suck. I have had 2 break on me with beads going everywhere.
Also. Is it true (since you are the guru!) that if I calibrate a hygrometer at 75, then once I get down to 65 or 60 it may not be as accurate?

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Also. Is it true (since you are the guru!) that if I calibrate a hygrometer at 75, then once I get down to 65 or 60 it may not be as accurate?
There are instruments that are accurate across the wheel specter, but they require multiple reference calibration. The ones we set at 75 are truly known precise only at that point ;)

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
There are instruments that are accurate across the wheel specter, but they require multiple reference calibration. The ones we set at 75 are truly known precise only at that point ;)
So it may be beneficial to calibrate at 65 then? Perhaps a bit more accuracy?

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Calibrating just means seeing if it's accurate at that rh. So if it's 75 at 75, why would it not be 60 at 60?

I don't worry about hygros but the ones I have read 7 below actual. So if it says 56, they're at 63. If it says 60, they are at 67. Unless I'm missing what you're asking.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
If this were true, why would we buy hygros?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Calibrating just means seeing if it's accurate at that rh. So if it's 75 at 75, why would it not be 60 at 60?

I don't worry about hygros but the ones I have read 7 below actual. So if it says 56, they're at 63. If it says 60, they are at 67. Unless I'm missing what you're asking.
I just wasn't sure if the further away from the calibrated rh it would be less accurate

See what I mean when I say I worry. I really try not to worry this much.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I just wasn't sure if the further away from the calibrated rh it would be less accurate

See what I mean when I say I worry. I really try not to worry this much.
I really don't know for sure, I just play a guru on BOTL but logically the calibration just means what it's reading, it has nothing to do with anything else. You're not setting it at that rh for good.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I'll send you a pound of KL with your SB winnings I still have not sent. Maybe 1.5. Put it in saturated. Leave the HF alone. When you get up to the RH you want either stop adding h20 or take out the KL and leave in the HF. Problem solved. Glad I didn't sent your winnings yet!?!? ;)
Hopefully all goes out tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
@pbibby .... ;)-"

Btw 58 is too low for NCs IMO get it up to 63
One last edit..... I've been running a lb of HF in my first vino28 since 08. No problems here at Casa Fuego.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
@pbibby .... ;)-"

Btw 58 is too low for NCs IMO get it up to 63
One last edit..... I've been running a lb of HF in my first vino28 since 08. No problems here at Casa Fuego.
Thanks brother! I'm not as worried about my NCs as my CCs as there aren't as many...... Haha