What's new

gardening

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
first timer here. got 10 tomato plants all bearing fruit already (7 varieties, plus I started hybridizing a few) my first radish crop is almost done, maybe a few more days. Rutabaga, beets, carrots, kale, celery, peas, bush beans, cantaloupe, honey dew, watermelon, eggplant, jalapeno, thai pepper, 5 super hots and a few more lower peppers, lettuce, brussel sprouts, big pumpkins, zucchini, summer squash all doing very well. also have basil which I suck at growing (except my indoor crop) and mint. 90% grown from seed. also have 2 fruit bearing fig trees, and 5 clones that will be ready next year. tried overwintering the 2 legit ones (one is 8' tall), didn't harden off enough and all the indoor leaves died. just started growing figs, and regrowing outdoor leaves. i'll get pics soon.

ps: for those with gopher troubles, I planted a few plants, without a fence, with a 1.5' (maybe wider) diameter drainage pipe vertically to the height of my needs, burying 1' in the ground. its that ribbed looking pipe. I also realized it collects and holds water better.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Great thread. I built a raised garden 2 years ago and had my first garden last year. I used 20 RR, stacked 2 high to make it roughly 9'x36. Planted 25 strawberry plants last year and picked a bunch 37 quarts of berries this year. Desperately need to thin them out as they are solid taking up a 9' x 10' of the garden.

This year I planted very few types of plants, only our favorites. 15 tomato plants, 2 zucchini , and 3 sweet peppers (Shashito and Cubanelle). They are all doing very well and with summer temps and regular rainfall they are exploding. I started out buying small plants (6 for $1.99) and tomato plants are already 3-4' tall, very full and loaded with tomatoes and blooms. I have picked and eaten 3 Cubanelle peppers and they are very mild and sweet. Sorry I can't post some pics as I drooled over
the ones you all shared.

I was concerned about my garden not getting enough sunshine, but it gets plenty. Get sun from daybreak until about 2:30pm and then is shaded from the blistering hot sun in the afternoons. They seem to really like it.

I battle the squirrels, last year they ate over 20 tomatoes. But I enjoy sitting on the back patio with one of my pellet rifles, enjoying a nice cigar and a cup of coffee putting fear in their little lives as they run across the privacy fence toward the garden. I have a small 3' high fence around it to keep the rabbits and dogs out, but those pesky squirrels are tough. When things really start ripening I am going to sprinkle around some blood meal and see if that helps.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Glad to see some first timers give it a go. I've been gardening for years. Got the bug from my mom. It can be frustrating some times, but it is always rewarding in the end. I can most of the goodies but eat a lot fresh "overflow". There's nothing in the world quite like opening a can of sweet corn in January that came from your garden.

Here's my youngest enjoying some of last year's bounty.

IMAG0513.jpg

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Glad to see some first timers give it a go. I've been gardening for years. Got the bug from my mom. It can be frustrating some times, but it is always rewarding in the end. I can most of the goodies but eat a lot fresh "overflow". There's nothing in the world quite like opening a can of sweet corn in January that came from your garden.

Here's my youngest enjoying some of last year's bounty.

View attachment 65796
Great picture. Once you eat a homegrown tomato store bought just taste like water.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Nice beans! 2 questions - first, how many plants? Second, bush or pole variety?
Bush. There are 4 rows around 25 feet long. Usually my first harvest only results in maybe a fourth of this. Everything looks good this year despite being on the wet site, except the water melon.

IMAG1265.jpg

Pumpkins always think they have the run of the garden. Silly pumpkins!
IMAG1268.jpg

The new strawberries are loving the not-quite-as-hot as normal weather.
IMAG1271.jpg

SouthernerInSask

© MCMLXI
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Its really nice seeing all the pics here, but i am a bit envious of you guys with the earlier planting season lol

We planted our first garden since moving to Sask, its about 65x35. Its small compared to what my family had when i was growing up, but its big enough for the two of us now.

I will post up some pics if i can make it home next week. Keep up the good work guys, ie keep posting pics :)

SouthernerInSask

© MCMLXI
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I got to come home earlier than planned, so got to take a few pics of the garden. It still looks bare in spots, but hopefully not for long...

Corn, beans, peas, carrots & potatoes. Further to the right is some raspberries and blackberries (yum)

more carrots (yay), some leafy stuff - i think its turnips, and beets

onions, unknown veg, iceburg & romaine lettuce, spinach, radishes, struggling pepper plants & squash

Not visible in these pictures is cucumbers, cauliflower, more spinach, lettuce & beans, dill, kale

Here is my wife's garden around the apple tree. It has tomatoes, gourds, strawberries in the cart, and a bunch
of leafy stuff that I have no clue what it is.
and rocks. those smiley rocks. they smile and they think theyre gonna get some free veggies...
well no freaking way you rocks!!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I got to come home earlier than planned, so got to take a few pics of the garden. It still looks bare in spots, but hopefully not for long...

Corn, beans, peas, carrots & potatoes. Further to the right is some raspberries and blackberries (yum)

more carrots (yay), some leafy stuff - i think its turnips, and beets

onions, unknown veg, iceburg & romaine lettuce, spinach, radishes, struggling pepper plants & squash

Not visible in these pictures is cucumbers, cauliflower, more spinach, lettuce & beans, dill, kale

Here is my wife's garden around the apple tree. It has tomatoes, gourds, strawberries in the cart, and a bunch
of leafy stuff that I have no clue what it is.
and rocks. those smiley rocks. they smile and they think theyre gonna get some free veggies...
well no freaking way you rocks!!
Awesome garden! I picked my first tomatoes and peppers this week and have been using our herbs for a while now. Had to pull our lettuce because the heat had made it bitter. Still waiting on squah/zucchini, cucs, and green beans, and potatoes. Oh and the onions are ready to pull .

SouthernerInSask

© MCMLXI
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Im really enjoying reading & seeing the pics in this thread, but man its killing me that ours had to be planted so late lol

Awesome garden! I picked my first tomatoes and peppers this week and have been using our herbs for a while now. Had to pull our lettuce because the heat had made it bitter. Still waiting on squah/zucchini, cucs, and green beans, and potatoes. Oh and the onions are ready to pull .
Tomatoes, peppers, herbs & onions...so many possible ways to use them in a meal...im gettin hungry now! You will be having full meals out of yours before long!