What's new

gardening

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
It's getting there. I'm still trying to get the Brown to Green ratio right. It's only been a couple months since I started it but I think it's coming along.
View attachment 67755
I'd turn it and slightly moisten it. At least from the view of the pic. Also even though that tumbles very good. I take a garden tool made for turning small beds. And aerate my tumbler once a week. Stuff gets matted down and the fresh air gets the microbes back to eating like champs. The pile I'm just starting should be done in 60 days with the summer heat.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
The wife and I have been thinking about starting a compost bin but wasn't sure we knew exactly how to start it or what to put in. I've been wanting to do it for my pepper trees.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
The wife and I have been thinking about starting a compost bin but wasn't sure we knew exactly how to start it or what to put in. I've been wanting to do it for my pepper trees.
I swear by it. Nothing else feeds plants longer during the growing season. Next year I'm starting a compost tea maker. Also look on CL in your area. ThaT same good ideas tumbler can be had for under a 100.
One day I hope to find this on CL......

Last edited:

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I'd turn it and slightly moisten it. At least from the view of the pic. Also even though that tumbles very good. I take a garden tool made for turning small beds. And aerate my tumbler once a week. Stuff gets matted down and the fresh air gets the microbes back to eating like champs. The pile I'm just starting should be done in 60 days with the summer heat.
That was a pic from before it turned it. The middle is moist. I might have to look into a smaller pitch fork to help turn it. I usually move stuff around with a flat shovel.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Forgot about this thread. So far, only cherry tomatoes have been coming in. All my other varieties were having issues from the rain, trying to compensate with lime for calcium deficiency. Should have first few fruits tomorrow. Peas, rutabaga, zuc, green peppers and jalapenos are all producing wonderfully. Damn NJ rain.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Forgot about this thread. So far, only cherry tomatoes have been coming in. All my other varieties were having issues from the rain, trying to compensate with lime for calcium deficiency. Should have first few fruits tomorrow. Peas, rutabaga, zuc, green peppers and jalapenos are all producing wonderfully. Damn NJ rain.
A lime bath (2 handfuls in a gallon of water/stir) followed by Epsom salt foliage spray(2 tbsp per gallon) will take care of all your problems for the season!

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
So much Rain along with first garden in shitty, non-draining soil didn't allow my plants to fair so well this year. I plan on buying a composter (thanks to all that have been talking about them) and adding top soil and mushroom compost next year.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
That sucks. I'm guessing if you baby it, it will come back and bear fruit. Good luck!
I'll second that - plants can be pretty resilient sometimes. I've had tomato plants decimated by those giant green caterpillars, that came back and produced a few fruits by the end of the season. They looked like Charlie Brown Christmas trees, but they still came back and produced.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
What's yours recepie ?
I love spicy pickles!

Bread and butter: this is the first time I've made bread & butter pickles. I used the recipe here: http://comfortablefood.com/spicy-bread-and-butter-pickles/ . From what I could taste and smell, it seems legit.

Dill: Got this recipe from my aunt, who has the best dill pickles in the world, but I have tweaked it a little for my tastes. It is a pretty standard recipe...

Brine. This will do 9-10 quarts of pickles.
  • 3 quarts water
  • 1 quart apple cider vinegar (white is fine if you prefer)
  • 1 cup canning salt

What goes in the jar:
  • 1 slice of yellow onion
  • 1 tablespoon of minced garlic from the jar, or 3-4 toes
  • 1 head of mammoth dill or use 2 heads of "regular" dill
  • Cucumbers (of course!)
  • 1 hot pepper, sliced in half - jalapeño or similar, whatever you have or can find, adjust for desired spice intensity
You can add miscelaneous whatever you have in the garden, like carrots, green beans, zuchini, bell peppers, etc. I find the spice intensity can vary greatly between jars. No two peppers seem to be alike, despite being the same cultivar, same harvest time, etc. Some jars are almost too spicy to eat and some have almost no spice at all. That's half the fun! I have considered using Tabasco sauce so the result is more repeatable, but I have not toyed with that much. I do know that 1/8 tsp of Tabasco in a quart jar will yield no spice addition.

Pack in prepared jars, fill with brine, and process for 10 minutes. Let sit for at least 6 weeks before eating.

I use this same brine to can hot peppers.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Those pickles sound awesome.

I had about 30 different hot pepper plants I was growing the year before last and my dog decimated a number of them unfortunately and weather got the rest. Going to try again more seriously next spring and refresh my stash. So far the most resilient pepper plant Ive had is my scotch bonnets. They work out really well in home made salsa and I love the heat and flavor.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
After canning 62 quarts of green beans, it's time to move to yummy, delicious pickles.

I've canned 23 quarts of spicy dill pickles and a few pints of spicy bread and butters. I love pickles.

I need to do something with my carrots...

View attachment 67943
I did 36 quarts of dill pickles last year. IMO the spicy dilled carrots get eaten faster than the pickles.
Take the same brine you are using now and just use the carrots in 6 in long by 1/2" wide slices. The guys at my firehouse fight over them. One guy If not watching him will eat a whole jar in a shift.
One more thing. Ditch the minced garlic. Take whole cloves. Smash and drop in the brine. Whole nother level.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
It just took one day for this Ghost Pepper to be decimated by tomato worms. I picked 5 off. The other ghost pepper was untouched.
View attachment 67948 View attachment 67949
So now the real question- what are your plans for the ghost peppers lol. I have a few I just cant figure out exactly what I want to do with them other than a novelty "hey eat this and ill give you $10 if you dont ralph" lol