What's new

General/Altadis

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
partagas master benji, vega fina sumum, la gloria rabito de cochino (original PL vitola), there are a couple few in their portfolios that i wouldn't turn down.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
partagas master benji, vega fina sumum, la gloria rabito de cochino (original PL vitola), there are a couple few in their portfolios that i wouldn't turn down.
lets not forget white owl... General owns them too.. their pineapple sticks are to die for!

:smokingbo

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
General and Altadis make pure crap. I make sure not to smoke Altadis after the crap they pulled with the copyright infringement with Tatuaje and Pete Johnson.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
General and Altadis make pure crap. I make sure not to smoke Altadis after the crap they pulled with the copyright infringement with Tatuaje and Pete Johnson.
would you elaborate? not sure i heard that one...

mind you, with their "NC" portfolios, i feel they are no stranger to copyright infringement in any way, but still...

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
would you elaborate? not sure i heard that one...

mind you, with their "NC" portfolios, i feel they are no stranger to copyright infringement in any way, but still...
You can google it. It was a huge deal with his brand name.

Edit: Found a link: http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/Altadis-and-Tatuaje-End-Lawsuit_3712

SouthernerInSask

© MCMLXI
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I had a Partagas yesterday, it was very bland. Have been smoking some Gispert & Don Diego lately & liking them more than i expected to. Got these in a $2 per blind sampler, so theyre new to me...and yes i do smoke on the cheap when i can

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I typically avoid all things Altadis/General. But, I admit that I'll probably look in on Sam Leccia once in a while and see what he's got a hand in.

Last week I smoked a Monte Platinum Toro that had been sitting in a cooler since Dec 2007. I'm not ashamed to admit that it was pretty damn good.

If I can't find anything in a B&M that I like, I'll generally pick up a RoMEo (or a Brickhouse) because I hate to walk out of a shop without buying something.

I found a bunch of old yellow-cello Macanudo 1968's in a place earlier this year and enjoyed every one of them very much.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i'll hit it later, at work now and only limited f#@k-around time, and was just hoping for the short short before i dug on it...
Ahh. my bad. Essentially Pete wanted to have the phrase "fleur-de-lis" on his cigars. Altadis says they already had it on their cigars so they engaged in a law suit.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Ahh. my bad. Essentially Pete wanted to have the phrase "fleur-de-lis" on his cigars. Altadis says they already had it on their cigars so they engaged in a law suit.
Pretty sure it was about the fleur de lis 'symbol'. Altadis thought Pete's looked too much like their Montecristo fleur....which struck most everyone as terribly ironic since Altadis brands and symbols were hardly original.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Pretty sure it was about the fleur de lis 'symbol'. Altadis thought Pete's looked too much like their Montecristo fleur....which struck most everyone as terribly ironic since Altadis brands and symbols were hardly original.
ahhh... got it. why my old ricky's have the fleur and my new have the PHJ mark...

yeah, kinda dumb.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a regular with HDM, Punch, CAO and LGC. I thoroughly enjoy several lines from those brands. It's all subjective, I 'spose. My buddy Steve has intro'd me to some FANTASTIC boutique lines, and I plan to investigate several more. Just my .02¢

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks Dave!

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I will enjoy a La Gloria series R or CAO Brazilia from time to time but they are definitely not my "go-to" smokes. I have also had some of the NC Montecristos which are pretty decent but nowhere near their CC cousins.

I did chance upon a Punch a couple of years ago in a small shop in the middle of nowhere that had the most yellow cello I have ever seen. It was absolutely phenomenal! Sadly by the time I lit it up and realized that I should go back and buy the rest of the box I was already too far down the road and would have been extremely late for the appointment that I was on my way to.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Was gifted a 3 pack of NC Monte #2s a few months back and smoked one so far. Not horrible, but not great either and certainly would not pay retail for one. Will smoke the other two when I brew most likely since I am busy and not paying much attention to the stick but like to have something burning while I do. I had an H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon that I bought probably in 2005 that I smoked on Memorial Day and that one really impressed me.

In general, I look at cigars the same way that I do beer. The big guys lack passion and innovation to make a unique product with quality ingredients. Instead they focus on quantity and consistency and try to make a product that will appeal to the masses, not necessarily a connoisseur or educated consumer.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
In general, I think a lot of us (me definitely included) get caught up in the hype surrounding some of the "boutique" brands. Anything that is "limited" always garners a certain amount of it, no matter what the product. As far as Altadis/General, I don't think the they put out "pure crap." I happen like a lot of the LE stuff that Montecristo puts out, La Gloria Serie R, and CAO.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
In general, I think a lot of us (me definitely included) get caught up in the hype surrounding some of the "boutique" brands. Anything that is "limited" always garners a certain amount of it, no matter what the product. As far as Altadis/General, I don't think the they put out "pure crap." I happen like a lot of the LE stuff that Montecristo puts out, La Gloria Serie R, and CAO.
sam adam's effect. or starbucks effect. they make OK stuff, available EVERYWHERE, and you probably started on it. once you "get into it", you see it's not as dynamic as you hoped. and the romance fades. so i kinda agree with you.

at the same time, they may well make more "decent" cigars by raw volume, yet based on that volume, their hit to miss ratio is hella low. smaller guys, MUCH lower annual yeild, and higher hit ratio with a smaller market segment.

end of the day, do you want to be something to everyone, or everything to a few people? most of us are on the hunt for the latter, and the former chafes because if the difference in perspective.